Twisted Records Thread (Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Ott, Prometheus, Younger Brother)

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On 2017-04-04 at 5:11 PM, mogambotek said:

...some old school Infected Mushroom - not really dug much of their stuff after Converting Vegetarians, but their first few releases were top class.

I also managed to snag the 12" of possibly my favourite Psy track of all time (the one that got me into the music), Spiritual Healing by Muses Rapt.

You are my music soul mate. excellent taste. :::)

If you haven't, check out the remix!

https://www.discogs.com/release/266343

Edited by Widar
addition

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Fucking INSANE pricing. I mean, the item is great quality and comes from overseas, but I was really hoping NOT to ever drop triple digits to get a copy of AYS... I bought because it's /500 and once it sells out, if there's never a common pressing, i'll never find this for under two hundo.

I would bet on there not being a standard pressing in the 3xLP configuration.

I've been talking with Simon Holtom about this release for over a year, and I got the impression that this is it. 

They've have to design a whole other packaging for the 3xLP and I know that's what took the look get to finalize. 

Never say never, but I wouldn't sleep on this if it's a Must Have.

That being said, they'll have to figure something out if they plan on a box set with all studio albums...

Yeah, this is fucking ridiculous pricing.  I was ready to spend $50ppd.... but fucking $100?  Fuck that.  I mean, I get that this will prevent flipping but holy fuck.... way to gouge your fans! 

EDIT:    I'm having a serious existential crisis about this price.  I want the album so bad.  Behind Closed Eyelids has benefited the most from the remaster I think.  Some of the other tracks sound far too spacious now, it's weird haha.  Also, the tracklisting is different.  Monster Hit doesn't follow Shpongle Falls. 

But fuck, this is so good.  But fuck, it's $105.  That's so irresponsible of me to spend right now.  But I think i'm probably going to say fuck it and do it. 

I hate this. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Jesus christ, that went fast.  I was going to buy it this morning, but nope.  All gone.  Probably for the better, although I really would have liked to have heard this at least once on vinyl.  They could sell another 1000 if they did a regular 3xLP in regular jackets like This Will Destroy You's live album.  Some of us are in college and don't have $100 to drop at a moment's notice!

Glad it sold out though.  Wasn't sure it would, to be honest.  That's an awful lot of money. 

Yeah, this one had many on the fence due to it's price. 

I too was surprised to see it sell 500 copies at that price in 24 hours. I'm still not 100% convinced that the bandcamp page had all 500 listed, but maybe it did.

I'll report back here if I see it pop up again.

On a side note, Twisted also indicated that they are working on a Tales remaster too. This all bodes well for the eventual rumored box set. 

3 minutes ago, EHughes527 said:

Yeah, this one had many on the fence due to it's price. 

I too was surprised to see it sell 500 copies at that price in 24 hours. I'm still not 100% convinced that the bandcamp page had all 500 listed, but maybe it did.

I'll report back here if I see it pop up again.

On a side note, Twisted also indicated that they are working on a Tales remaster too. This all bodes well for the eventual rumored box set. 

The box set..... 18xLP at $599.99.  That'll go over real well haha.  Comes housed in separate leather valets for each release, with a complimentary dose of DMT. 

But yeah, I mean.... I know Shpongle is super popular with the wook fest kyds who sell crystals now, but I just have a hard time believing the segment of their fanbase that both A) collects vinyl, and B ) has the disposable income to drop $105 instantly like that is THAT big.  I mean, maybe!

I am SHOCKED that it is sold out already! I just found out about it. And went to go place my order! What the fuck! First of all, why only press 500 copies? I would think at least 1000 - 2000?    Hopefully, the quick sell out will entice them to do another round of pressing! I really didn't think it would sell so quickly. Especially at that  price. I mean I was going to get one regardless. But damn.....another repress is in order. As far as tales being released I bet the same thing will happen.  

9 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The box set..... 18xLP at $599.99.  That'll go over real well haha.  Comes housed in separate leather valets for each release, with a complimentary dose of DMT. 

But yeah, I mean.... I know Shpongle is super popular with the wook fest kyds who sell crystals now, but I just have a hard time believing the segment of their fanbase that both A) collects vinyl, and B ) has the disposable income to drop $105 instantly like that is THAT big.  I mean, maybe!

Don't forget that this is a 20 year anniversary reissue. There's a chance that there's more fans out there than " wook fest kyds who sell crystals". This album is older than many of them in fact.

Yes, that crowd has intermingled into that genre's space, but you'd be mistaken to think that's where this band's truest and largest fanbase resides. 

Also, everyone saying $105 needs to understand that this is including the $26 international shipping, which costs $26 to ship ANYTHING over 1 lb.

I do the distribution for SlyVinyl, and I can tell you there's people buying single LPs with $26 shipping. It's just a fact of buying from overseas. These same folks aren't mad at us for putting out a "$45 LP" because they understand the cost of shipping is just part of the deal and out of the label's control.

I guarantee folks in the UK who purchased this didn't pay $26 shipping.

So let's look at it for what it is, a 3xLP with what looks to be a pretty deluxe hardbook casing for $77. Now that's still pricey for any release, but all things considered is much more reasonable that if they had charged $100+ retail before shipping.  

Edited by EHughes527

1 minute ago, EHughes527 said:

Don't forget that this is a 20 year anniversary reissue. There's a chance that there's more fans out there than " wook fest kyds who sell crystals". This album is older than many of them in fact.

Yes, that crowd has intermingled into that genre's space, but you'd be mistaken to think that's where this band's truest and largest fanbase resides. 

Also, everyone saying $105 needs to understand that this is including the $26 international shipping, which costs $26 to ship ANYTHING over 1 lb.

I do the distribution for SlyVinyl, and I can tell you there's people buying single LPs with $26 shipping. It's just a fact of buying from overseas. These same folks aren't mad at us for putting out a "$45 LP" because they understand the cost of shipping is just part of the deal and out of the label's control.

I guarantee folks in the UK who purchased this didn't pay $26 shipping.

So let's look at it for what it is, a 3xLP with what looks to be a pretty deluxe hardbook casing for $77. Now that's still pricey for any release, but all things considered is much more reasonable that if they had charged $100+ retail before shipping.  

Oh yeah no, I'm saying $100 because that's the total cost for the buyer for the USA.  Perhaps I could make that clearer by adding ppd. 

Where are you from, then?  Because where I'm located, the only people I ever see into Shpongle are the crystal-selling festy kids.  Which is certainly fine... it's just such a narrowly isolated demographic.  I'm so glad that Shpongle found a niche market in the USA to get popular, because when I discovered them in 2002 or so, nooooobody knew who they were.  They had never played in the USA and it didn't look like that would ever happen, and I remember all the talk of them breaking up and then Nothing Lasts finally came out and they started getting traction and now we have the monster that we see today.  It couldn't have happened to a more deserving couple of guys. 

I'm very curious to see what the flipper activity turns out to be for this.  Copies of the original release seemed to move a lot last year, but not so much this year. 

21 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Oh yeah no, I'm saying $100 because that's the total cost for the buyer for the USA.  Perhaps I could make that clearer by adding ppd. 

Where are you from, then?  Because where I'm located, the only people I ever see into Shpongle are the crystal-selling festy kids.  Which is certainly fine... it's just such a narrowly isolated demographic.  I'm so glad that Shpongle found a niche market in the USA to get popular, because when I discovered them in 2002 or so, nooooobody knew who they were.  They had never played in the USA and it didn't look like that would ever happen, and I remember all the talk of them breaking up and then Nothing Lasts finally came out and they started getting traction and now we have the monster that we see today.  It couldn't have happened to a more deserving couple of guys. 

I'm very curious to see what the flipper activity turns out to be for this.  Copies of the original release seemed to move a lot last year, but not so much this year. 

I'm US-based too. You're correct that their following is definitely not concentrated in the US. So in that regard, there are many of the crystal-crowd that come out for US shows. I've seen that.  I've done a meet and greet with Simon during the MoC tour and he expressed that it's hard to tour in the US for that reason plus Raja's poor health makes traveling rough. Simon said Denver is their largest fanbase (hence the live band Red Rocks shows) in the states.

Definitely happy they are finding success in all of their projects too. 

For comparison, I dug up my original invoice from when I bought the 3D version of MoC (Black Vinyl 2xLP, gatefold with Lenticular front cover) and it cost $68.21 ppd. So for merely $40 more than that is what we're getting with the AYS? 3xLP hardbook remastered and all the songs for the first time. 

Yes, $105ppd is a hurt on the wallet and not everyone will be able to pull that off, but it's not unprecedented and in line with the cost of getting stuff from overseas. 

Bonus pic of Simon and I backstage at the Marquee in Tempe, AZ for the MoC tour:
...and yes, I took the opportunity to get a bunch of vinyl signed :::-)
1012080_10151906911195887_68674568_n.jpg

Edited by EHughes527

In other news, info about the impending Codex 6 vinyl release has begun to surface. 

I've seen a few places price it a wildly different prices, so until the release who knows... 

If this site is to be believed, this new album will be a 3xLP.

https://www.deejay.de/Shpongle_Codex_6_TWSLP48_Vinyl__279370

Now in 2017 and after six years of touring the planet with the live band, Shpongle return with a new 6th studio album,- 'Codex 6'. Though much has changed, music production isn't something for just enthusiasts anymore, and the tools needed to make an entire album in your bedroom or on a laptop are becoming increasingly available and affordable... yet this just makes Shpongle's return all the more welcome. In a time where more and more focus is put on commercialization and churning out quick hits and floor fillers, Simon and Raja's latest work on Codex 6 is a welcome breath of fresh air wedded to nostalgia and the future at the same time, and proves that the group isn't ready to become stagnant anytime soon.

ARTIST(S):Shpongle
TITLE:Codex 6
LABEL:TWSLP48 | Twisted

A1:    Remember The Future
A2:    The Magumba State
B1:    Empty Branes
C1:    Are We There Yet
C2:    Herr Gringleflapper's Secret Stash Box
D1:    Strange Planet
E1:    I Woke Up As A Shlummutz
E2:    A Series Of Heads
F1:    Celestial Intoxication
F2:    Hammock Therapy

Nice, yeah I think i'm going to try to see them at a festival here in New York in August, Down To Earth because Raja Ram is actually here too.  But yeah... hopefully somehow more copies of AYS surface, or someone lets it go for cost after they play it once or twice.  Not looking likely. 

They could always just make another 200 more or something also.  If 500 sold this quickly.....  just make more!  The market hasn't become saturated by any means.  Because there's probably a good few hundred people who didn't even see the notification that it was available because not everybody lives on social media. 

4 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Nice, yeah I think i'm going to try to see them at a festival here in New York in August, Down To Earth because Raja Ram is actually here too.  But yeah... hopefully somehow more copies of AYS surface, or someone lets it go for cost after they play it once or twice.  Not looking likely. 

They could always just make another 200 more or something also.  If 500 sold this quickly.....  just make more!  The market hasn't become saturated by any means.  Because there's probably a good few hundred people who didn't even see the notification that it was available because not everybody lives on social media. 

I just  sent Simon Holtom a private message asking if he thought they'd make more since it sold so well. He's not super fast as replying typically, but I'll update here what he says.  (no joke).

IF anyone wants some insight into this, here's a snippet from a conversation I was having with Simon H around Dec. 2016 regarding the AYS? 3xLP:

Hi Eric, 

i don't think coloured vinyl for this one. Si and Raj are not huge fans of coloured, besides we're haemorraging cash on the packaging. This is one of my top 5 albums of all time, so i really want to spoil it. 
I'm thinking it will be limited 1-1000 numbered at the factory. Do you think there's enough demand for 1000 ? its difficult to tell....500 for sure, 1000 might be pushing it! 

all the best 

At the time, he didn't think the MoC vinyl sold all too well (or fast) and was hesitant to press this in too high of a volume. 

I told him I thought 1000 would sell, but he still had his doubts. Twisted isn't a super profitable outfit, so they have to be really careful with their investments. As most labels have to. But yeah. You can see he was uncertain of the demand. 

Also, you can see the hardbook packaging was no cheap venture. Glad he did it tho - it does look killer.

Edited by EHughes527

37 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I had the chance to pre-order it only because I had notifications on this thread activated! I didn't even notice it was on pre-order on Facebook or anywhere else...
(ouch 85.63€... hurts a bit on the wallet)

Exclusive Shpongle Flexi Disc?! 

Wow, this looks like a KILLER show!

MAIN ROOM: (SET TIMES AND RUNNING ORDER TBC)

SHPONGLE (Simon Posford and Raja Ram) (Twisted Records)

A unique DJ set from Simon and Raja debuting their latest (unheard) Shpongle material from Codex 6 and other sonic delights.

HALLUCINOGEN (Twisted Records)
A performance featuring classics and new unreleased material.

THE INFINITY PROJECT (Raja Ram) (Tip Records)
Raja Ram will take back with a killer TIP Retro set.

YOUNGER BROTHER (Twisted Records)
Benji will be performing a YB DJ Set featuring tunes from the current ‘Vaccine Electronic’ album among others.

YOUTH (Dragonfly Records)
A pioneer of dance music with the legendary Dragonfly Records since 1993. Playing a set of sublime sounds from his latest projects.

PROMETHEUS (Twisted Records)
Benji will be spinning classics from his 3 albums on Twisted mixed with some exclusive tracks from his ZAP project with Raja Ram.

DJ LUCAS (Tip Records)
Everyones favorite DJ, Lucas from the Legendary TIP Records will be spinning his latest and greatest with us at the Shpongle 6 premiere party!

CHILL OUT ROOM: (SET TIMES AND RUNNING ORDER TBC)

DUBSAHARA (Mutantra)
GLOBAL MYSTIC (Sangita Sounds)
AKASHA EXPERIENCE (Shanti Planti)
KAYA PROJECT (Interchill records)
TRIPSWITCH (Iboga / Section Records)