PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

Oh my.. Just got a promo CD copy of this. Been avoiding the leaks and was all set to wait until my copy arrives, but that's over now.

IMG_1774_zpsuv9yucm7.jpg

The cat and I are beyond excited for them cuddles to some new American Football.

Had this album on repeat, about 5-6 times through on my drive to TN Thursday Night. Here are my thoughts:

1. As a whole, this album is fantastic

2. The last track kills me every time

3. Love the trumpets but wish they didn't double them up in 'I need a drink'. I kinda like the indie signature sound of the standard AF solo trumpet

4. Lyrics pick up right where TKOW left off. Very sad and seemingly troublesome marriage at home

5. I wish more of the songs had just hung on the simple repetitive riffs for 1-2 minutes longer at the end of the song, similar to LP1. They're so good and sometimes end too soon.

6. The Nate Kinsella Birthmark influence is heavy and I like it (esp in Born to Lose)

6. Guitars, Bass, Drums. Holy shit, they are more than I ever expected.

7. Mike screaming and jamming in Desire Gets in the Way is awesome. Top 2 track for me

8. Not a big fan of avoustic on an AF record. Track 3 intro sounds too much like Owen for me. 

9.  I can't wait to see this live

10. AF is BACK, people

Edited by Tommy

4 hours ago, Snaggle Von Swift said:

I'm saying it... but before I do.

1. I am glad the down vote option is gone

2. It could just be that this is new and fresh (though still really great)

I think I like LP2 more than LP1.

I disagree but upvoted because you're not being a dick about it like most people who would've gotten downvotes pre-update usually are

7 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Oh my.. Just got a promo CD copy of this. Been avoiding the leaks and was all set to wait until my copy arrives, but that's over now.

The cat and I are beyond excited for them cuddles to some new American Football.

What the hell is a C...D...?

Enjoying the album but it won't overcome LP1 for me. Not a tremendous fan of how "pretty" Kinsella's singing style has become. And I'm with the others who said it's been mixed too far up front. Still looking forward to receiving the vinyl and can't wait to see them in Chicago.

I was way too young when their first record came out and didn't discover it until high school. To be honest, I always had a hard time connecting with how overly emotional the lyrics were but stuck around for the musicianship.

This new record is so lush and amazing. Someone said they never skipped a beat with their chops and they were correct. Mike's voice is easier to digest this time around and even though it sounds a bit lazy to some people, he sounds comfortable and content. I think it's great; however, I am an Owen fan.

When the whole band comes in during "Where Are We Now?"?? Chills. So excited to have this record in my hands.

I actually decided to cancel my order. This album is just okay. It's not bad but it's not really bringing anything to the table that I feel compelled to return to again. I was actually really hyped for this album beforehand but maybe because I don't really listen to Owen records, I really wasn't feeling his voice or his lyrics to be quite honest. First single had me really interested but the rest of the album sorta blurs together.  The instrumentals were mostly great though. Not enough to make my Top 10 this year.

Edited by Vector53