PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

I bought the orange/red Starburst today and it looks and sounds great. I just moved so the first thing I did was set up my turntable and put this record on and I was pretty impressed. I was unpacking and putting away my records as I was listening to it so I'll need to give it a deeper listen but it was good. It seemed a lot more minimal but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll definitely be spinning this a lot the next few days 

15 hours ago, Holo said:

I don't think that's too far of a stretch if you're looking at it from an instrumentation perspective. It wasn't meant to sound pretentious or anything, but in anything if you do a thing you will have a better technical understanding of said thing than someone who doesn't. 

That wasn't my original statement though. What I was saying is that this made me realize I come at music from a different angle. Because I play an instrument I focus more on that aspect than vocals or the emotions people were discussin . My bad if that wasn't clear. 

Just because you play an instrument doesn't mean you can't focus on vocals or emotions.  And don't assume other people here don't also play instruments - especially because they're talking about the emotions or feelings of a record...

Also, the critiques I've heard so far about this album have not made me think "these guys are probably musicians" nor does the praise.  

I will say that knowing how to play instruments definitely makes you more aware of instrumentation but don't tout it like you have inside knowledge of why something isn't good.  That IS pretentious.

Edited by highfives

Playing an instrument doesn't give you some superior sense of what's good and not, but there is plenty of albums that musicians appreciate more because you know what it takes to create that sound or combination of sounds and non-musicians might find boring or self serving. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy Tortoise if you aren't a musician but everyone I know who is obsessive plays or played extensively at one point. Prog, jazz and lots of instrumental driven music falls in this category I think

2 minutes ago, NapalmBrain said:

Playing an instrument doesn't give you some superior sense of what's good and not, but there is plenty of albums that musicians appreciate more because you know what it takes to create that sound or combination of sounds and non-musicians might find boring or self serving. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy Tortoise if you aren't a musician but everyone I know who is obsessive plays or played extensively at one point. Prog, jazz and lots of instrumental driven music falls in this category I think

But that's an argument for liking or enjoying an album more because you play.  It's not a defense for disliking an album, which is what the initial comment alluded to.

2 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

This is all I was trying to say

2 hours ago, highfives said:

But that's an argument for liking or enjoying an album more because you play.  It's not a defense for disliking an album, which is what the initial comment alluded to.

I think it works inversely too. There's plenty of albums that I find "boring" because there isn't much going on musically. Not trying to be pretentious, it's just how I personally enjoy music 

I used to think the same thing when I was 17 lol. Except I played 10 instruments and had a fair grasp on my theory. Now I don't talk about that because I'm an adult. And the Mars Volta are fucking goofy pretentious bullshit, I used to think they were amazing when I was 17 too.

28 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

I used to think the same thing when I was 17 lol. Except I played 10 instruments and had a fair grasp on my theory. Now I don't talk about that because I'm an adult. And the Mars Volta are fucking goofy pretentious bullshit, I used to think they were amazing when I was 17 too.

De-Loused In The Comatorium blew my 16 year old mind haha.

3 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

De-Loused In The Comatorium blew my 16 year old mind haha.

I remember sitting there with my iPod earbuds in listening to birds chirping for five minutes on Francis the Mute thinking how great my tastes were in gym class hahaha.

2 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

The first two Volta records are kinda tight but the rest is fuckin' dogshit unless you're on some real good drugs. Even then, I'd rather listen to Fear Before. Honestly thought I was the only person who disliked them, all my friends have been obsessed for years haha

I can only sit through De-Loused any more and even then it's like a once a year thing.

1 hour ago, highfives said:

How did a thread about American Football end up turning into a Mars Volta trashing thread?

Be like everyone else and go into a Volta thread to trash them...

We saw it as point of weakness in his holy music armor and went with it. Looks like it worked though lol. 

3 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

I'll take it a step forward with ATDI, oh cool how about we rip off Drive Like Jehu and make it more melodramatic. Fuck Cedric (Omar is cool though cause of other projects)

They both have drive in the name. I don't think I've ever heard that one before though, as a huge fan of Drive Like Jehu fan I don't see AtDI as a ripoff at all.

7 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I found out there is a tour in the works. Most likely in winter / spring. But they will be touring this album, and there is one band in particular that miiiiiiight be joining them...

Is it The Mars Volta?

30 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I found out there is a tour in the works. Most likely in winter / spring. But they will be touring this album, and there is one band in particular that miiiiiiight be joining them...

I was in LA the night of one of those reunion shows but couldn't make it. Bummed I missed what was probably all of LP1, but setlist/lineup pending I may do this