Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon White Original Pressing /100 - Signed by the band - Legit?

On August 25, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Holo said:

Can confirm. Talking ATDI with Josh from '68 and talking shit on ETR with TFoT's drummer was the highlight of my night. Sigs on my Doppelganger original press jacket are just reminders. I wouldn't pay much if any premium for a signature. It's really just a physical reminder of my memories for the night. I did pay like an extra $4 for a signed Against Me! White People for Peace 7", but that was only because it is signed as Tom Gabel rather than LJG and I thought that was kinda cool since it was probably something you couldn't get anymore.

Funny you say this. I have the Tom Gabel 7" and got Laura to sign it. She was like "well this is kind of weird"

On 8/25/2016 at 1:52 AM, Stryder said:

Yes I agree, most signed things in my collection I've attained in person, but this was a happy bonus. Just weird that it's not a thing in this field, and that apparently $390 is a mind numbing amount of money to spend on a record that everyone needs to make a cheeky comment about. I don't care, I wanted this and I'm fortunate I had the disposable income to drop on it. I didn't even mention what I'd spent and only shared the link to aid with the backstory on this. Brand New is a huge band and a run of 100 of their debut album is scarce.

I run a comic book, original comic art, & vintage collectibles business and a huge aspect of collecting comics is getting books signed by the creators and then having them graded by a 3rd party service like CGC. We deal with a ton of signed collectibles certified by PSA as well. You'd be hard pressed to go on a comic book collecting board and find anyone price shaming anyone else in the hobby out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness.

I won't touch the fact that there is a clear split between collector weirdos and people who listen to records for what's on them on these forums, as you can see from your reactions to this post.

Comic book forumites get annoyed at threads that don't need to be their own thread though. Nobody would have bothered you otherwise. Your silly question thinking a single copy of a vinyl record could somehow be faked just tells me you don't have a turntable to see if there's music on the thing and you're very ignorant on the subject in general. Go ahead and tell us how everything should be though I'd love to hear more wisdom.

Gotta add my Brand New joke too: In your research did you not realize Brand New fans are fucking crazy? Amazing records go out of print for 10+ years before they start hitting the prices different colors of in-print Brand New records fetch that were on sale the week before. I guess you can authenticate it and still sell it for profit though.

8 hours ago, Shlebs said:

I won't touch the fact that there is a clear split between collector weirdos and people who listen to records for what's on them on these forums, as you can see from your reactions to this post.

Comic book forumites get annoyed at threads that don't need to be their own thread though. Nobody would have bothered you otherwise. Your silly question thinking a single copy of a vinyl record could somehow be faked just tells me you don't have a turntable to see if there's music on the thing and you're very ignorant on the subject in general. Go ahead and tell us how everything should be though I'd love to hear more wisdom.

Gotta add my Brand New joke too: In your research did you not realize Brand New fans are fucking crazy? Amazing records go out of print for 10+ years before they start hitting the prices different colors of in-print Brand New records fetch that were on sale the week before. I guess you can authenticate it and still sell it for profit though.

roasted

8 hours ago, Shlebs said:

One of the best posts of 2016

19 hours ago, Shlebs said:

Member of a site called Vinyl COLLECTIVE creates this dichotomy between the "Collector weirdos" and more noble "people who listen to records for what's on them." You're living up to every snobby stereotype that people assume vinyl collectors are and that internet forums in general must be crawling of.

Asking for help is not ignorance. Talking down at people who don't share your interests sure is though. This forum is a vast resource, so I don't give a damn if you consider this worthy of your high standards of what a thread should be or not. Go ahead and tell me more about that killer HI-FI listening setup you dropped hundreds to have though, I'm sure that's a way more appropriate thing for someone to spend their money on.

9 minutes ago, Stryder said:

Member of a site called Vinyl COLLECTIVE creates this dichotomy between the "Collector weirdos" and more noble "people who listen to records for what's on them." You're living up to every snobby stereotype that people assume vinyl collectors are and that internet forums in general must be crawling of.

Asking for help is not ignorance. Talking down at people who don't share your interests sure is though. This forum is a vast resource, so I don't give a damn if you consider this worthy of your high standards of what a thread should be or not. Go ahead and tell me more about that killer HI-FI listening setup you dropped hundreds to have though, I'm sure that's a way more appropriate thing for someone to spend their money on.

I mean...you do at least have a setup and listen to records though, yes?

So the Brand New fangirl-goober who's using a sleeveless photo of himself as an avatar, who also made a trivial thread in an attempt to validify the signatures on his $500 splurge, is giving flack to Shelby and calling him a VC elitist, huh?  Am I caught up to speed here?

Edited by Derek™
Disbelief.

20 minutes ago, Stryder said:

Haha well if you want to take this COLLECTIVE literally why do you continually ignore the fact that this thread is literally not supposed to be a thread and your question belongs in the sticky at the top of the forum that the first post in this thread directed you to. You continually ignore that hence your ignorance.

My setup cost me less than your Brand New record :) I'm a smart shopper.

6 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Haha well if you want to take this COLLECTIVE literally why do you continually ignore the fact that this thread is literally not supposed to be a thread and your question belongs in the sticky at the top of the forum that the first post in this thread directed you to.

Other threads that that would have worked:

Any of the 900 existing Brand New threads

Overpriced shit on eBay thread

Or at least make this stupid thread over in the EE section since every time a new poster thinks they've had an original thought they make a thread anyways.

16 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

So the Brand New fangirl-goober who's using a sleeveless photo of himself as an avatar, who also made a trivial thread in an attempt to validify the signatures on his $500 splurge, is giving flack to Shelby and calling him a VC elitist, huh?  Am I caught up to speed here?

Hey I know another Derek, does he owe you royalties or something for trademark infringement? I'd ask for your photo but I don't like watching horror before I go to sleep. Also, it was $390. My point is people can spend their money on whatever they want, but it's super hypocritical to degrade someone else over what they spent when you're proud enough to boast about your costly splurges in your signature.

13 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Haha well if you want to take this COLLECTIVE literally why do you continually ignore the fact that this thread is literally not supposed to be a thread and your question belongs in the sticky at the top of the forum that the first post in this thread directed you to. You continually ignore that hence your ignorance.

My setup cost me less than your Brand New record :) I'm a smart shopper.

If I'm breaking any rules then could a mod please delete this thread, I'm in way more than I bargained for.

7 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Let's be real though I'm only fucking with you for crying about someone telling you they'd rather buy hookers and blow. 

Fair point.

Edited by Stryder
I'm the moron.

6 minutes ago, Stryder said:

*validity. There's literally a spellcheck here, you have to try to be illiterate.

Quoting this in case you edit your mistake. Yes validify is slang but it is still more appropriate than your correction. You were looking for 'validate' silly.

Ha yep you did.

Edited by Shlebs
lol

Just now, Shlebs said:

Quoting this in case you edit your mistake. Yes validify is slang but it is still more appropriate than your correction. You were looking for 'validate' silly.

It's late and I'm tired. I did catch it right away and call myself a moron in the edit though.

7 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Other threads that that would have worked:

Any of the 900 existing Brand New threads

Overpriced shit on eBay thread

Or at least make this stupid thread over in the EE section since every time a new poster thinks they've had an original thought they make a thread anyways.

There was no thread for this specific release and the questions I was posing that I could find. Any of the 900 Brand New threads I did see were different albums or subjects altogether.

13 minutes ago, Stryder said:

*validity. There's literally a spellcheck here, you have to try to be illiterate.

Hey I know another Derek, does he owe you royalties or something for trademark infringement? I'd ask for your photo but I don't like watching horror before I go to sleep. Also, it was $390. My point is people can spend their money on whatever they want, but it's super hypocritical to degrade someone else over what they spent when you're proud enough to boast about your costly splurges in your signature.

If I'm breaking any rules then could a mod please delete this thread, I'm in way more than I bargained for.

Fair point.

Validity is not a verb and cannot be used in the context of my sentence – i.e., "to validify" – though in hindsight I guess I should have gone with validate.  Either way, your suggestion of validity is nowhere near correct.  Please don't attempt to mentor me on the benefits of spellcheck before grasping the basics of verbs and nouns.  Thank you.

But I did get a laugh out of "watching horror before I go to sleep".  Jesus fucking Christ – @HectorSRCVINYL: can we set an age restriction for new members, if there's not one already?  Something in the realm of 13, minimum?

Shelby is one of the most mellow, non-boastful dudes on the forum.  No need to dig at him because he's smarter with his money than you are.  He's got his vinyl setup listed in the signature at a vinyl forum; how is that him being boastful?  Are the folks over at Head-Fi a bunch of braggarts and pricks because they list the specific headphones they're currently rocking, in their signature?  I mean, on a forum created to discuss audio gear – the nerve!

Honestly, Brand New fans really are the worst.  They get a lot of shit but this is a textbook example of where there's smoke...

Edited by Derek™

7 minutes ago, Stryder said:

It's late and I'm tired. I did catch it right away and call myself a moron in the edit though.

There was no thread for this specific release and the questions I was posing that I could find. Any of the 900 Brand New threads I did see were different albums or subjects altogether.

This one would have worked just fine:

Here's another one where some dipshit made a thread asking about this record:

Hmmm... and another:

I'm sure there are more, but this more than proves my point.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Validity is not a verb and cannot be used in the context of my sentence – i.e., "to validify" – though in hindsight I guess I should have gone with validate.  Either way, your suggestion of validity is nowhere near correct.  Please don't attempt to mentor me on the benefits of spellcheck before grasping the basics of verbs and nouns.  Thank you.

But I did get a laugh out of "watching horror before I go to sleep".  Jesus fucking Christ – @HectorSRCVINYL: can we set an age restriction for new members, if there's not one already?  Something in the realm of 13, minimum?

Shelby is one of the most mellow, non-boastful dudes on the forum.  No need to dig at him because he's smarter with his money than you are.  He's got his vinyl setup listed in the signature at a vinyl forum; how is that him being boastful?  Are the folks over at Head-Fi a bunch of braggarts and pricks because they list the specific headphones they're currently rocking, in their signature?  I mean, on a forum created to discuss audio gear – the nerve!

Honestly, Brand New fans really are the worst.  They get a lot of shit but this is a textbook example of where there's smoke...

I'm just the web developer, That would be up to the Mods to decide and I can make it happen.