Secret Santa 2016 - The Unisex Edition

Ok. This is going to take up a lot of space, but holy shit.

For starters early last week Lauren messaged me saying that my package might be late. No big deal. She said I should open it immediately because there might be some perishable stuff at the top. Then Mike messages me to say its sitting at the post office. I have all my mail sent to my parents and they put their mail on hold while they were out of town for Christmas, so it got delivered to them on Tuesday or Wednesday. I had them open it to see if there was anything they needed to eat. Most everything else was wrapped, but they were like holy shit. This is so much! I had to explain the whole thing to them. The peeked around but were very confident the person knew me. Tonight was family Hannukkah dinner so I got the package and this is about how it went.

Also based on just talking to my parents I was pretty sure that the person was Lauren.

Opening up the package today the first things were homemade cookies and fudge and a lollipop 7-11 slurpee with sugar thing because I'm obsessed with slurpees. We don't have 7-11s in Georgia so whenever I'm out of town I get slurpees and make it a point to check in - so probably someone that I'm friends with on facebook - Lauren or Mike haha.

2v3sneb.jpg

There were also some stickers/postcards. One of the stickers was from a NYC street artist and the postcard was a Fest postcard from a tattoo shop in Gainesville. I hung out with both Mike and Lauren at Fest, but Lauren is from NYC.  Also a MLIW sticker that I'm kind of stoked on. Had never really listened to this band, but ended up hanging out with Jeff at/after Wrecking Ball last year because they used to stay with good friends of mine when they were in town and he was one of the coolest dudes I've ever met.

hs74us.jpg

Next I opened the non-record packages. 2 mix cds - one being a hockey mix. All songs about hockey although one of my favorites was left off! (The orange and the black by the Boils. Maybe this was left off on purpose since there were a bunch of Rangers songs. A couple of zines, a  slushcult tshirt (a brand for those who love frozen drinks), a book about touring with the Bouncing Souls (favorite band), and 2 cat toys - a taco and a krylon spray can. I'm freaking out of these toys. I dont even want to give the cats the spray can one because its too cool and its been 15 minutes and they've already destroyed the taco. By now you probably know the Hannukkah Harry was Lauren and we facebook videoed so she could watch my kittens destroy these things. Also the spray can because I help out a bunch of artists paint murals and happened to work on one at Fest when a friend from Baltimore was painting a few blocks from my hotel on Friday afternoon.

2dbjiaw.jpg

Lastly the records. 2 Up For Nothing records - NYC band that I think just played their last show opening for the Souls a few weeks ago (more hints towards Lauren). A Have Nots record - her recommendation, the Vandals, Oi to the World, a random flexi, and the Silent World comp (Misfits Tribute) with a Souls song on it. One of the few souls comps that I didn't already own. I think she said she bought this from Japan. 

33xx2tl.jpg

Lastly there was a 7" package labeled open this last. This was the dead giveaway (if it wasn't given away already). The Scandals/Plow United split and a Scandals flexi. I had bought tickets to go the Souls shows in NYC and ended up not being able to go so I gave her the ticket and she grabbed these for me at the show.

2d1trol.jpg

Finally my dad was like I knew it was her too and peeled off the mailing label on the package because she had reused the box.

A small caveat. Lauren and I met last December through Victimofadriveby at a Queers/BigWig show in NY. We also hung out at Fest and went record shopping when I was in NY for Thanksgiving so she probably knows me a bit better than most of the people on this board. Nonetheless she fucking killed it and I'm super stoked as was everyone watching me open these packages. Thanks again!

Pictures are being a bitch to upload so I'll get to that tomorrow. Enjoy the book I just wrote for those of you that like to read without pictures.

Edited by shenanigans

9OAVecR.jpg

This year I got an awesome package, courtesy of @scottheisel. I got records from Toe, The Felix Culpa, The Black Heart Procession, Sainthood Reps, and Helen Earth Band; all continuing the tradition of me getting records from bands I recognize the name of but never listened to. He wrote an awesome breakdown of each record, which I didn't include in the above picture, but it got me really excited to listen to each of them. I've only listened to Toe so far, but I really enjoyed it. I just so happen to also not already have the Color Spectrum DVD, so that was an awesome catch and it will be great to finally be able to watch.

The Steel Train promo photo is hilarious, and it just made me realize that if I had seen the band members before I listened to their music, there's no way I would have ever given it a chance because Jack looks absolutely ridiculous. The aughts were a rough time I guess.

TUHuGjO.jpg

Thanks, Scott. Getting a package from you feels like getting a package from a celebrity and I am very grateful. Happy new year!

1 hour ago, backpackoat said:

9OAVecR.jpg

This year I got an awesome package, courtesy of @scottheisel. I got records from Toe, The Felix Culpa, The Black Heart Procession, Sainthood Reps, and Helen Earth Band; all continuing the tradition of me getting records from bands I recognize the name of but never listened to. He wrote an awesome breakdown of each record, which I didn't include in the above picture, but it got me really excited to listen to each of them. I've only listened to Toe so far, but I really enjoyed it. I just so happen to also not already have the Color Spectrum DVD, so that was an awesome catch and it will be great to finally be able to watch.

The Steel Train promo photo is hilarious, and it just made me realize that if I had seen the band members before I listened to their music, there's no way I would have ever given it a chance because Jack looks absolutely ridiculous. The aughts were a rough time I guess.

TUHuGjO.jpg

Thanks, Scott. Getting a package from you feels like getting a package from a celebrity and I am very grateful. Happy new year!

So glad you dug everything! Would love to get your feedback on all those records to see if my gut instinct was right. Also, I was so worried you already had that Dear Hunter DVD so I'm pumped you didn't!

On 12/25/2016 at 6:43 PM, shadowkid33 said:

So I got a message yesterday from @themeconspiracy that my Secret Santa sender had an envelope hidden in my package that I missed when I initially opened it. I opened it today and it's two tickets to see The Early November on The Mother, The Mechanic and The Path 10 year tour at Union Transfer in Philadelphia on January 14th! I'm super appreciative of such a thoughtful gift, I got to see them play on the Rooms Too Cold tour a couple years ago and they were great!

However, I won't be in town on January 14th unfortunately. It's my birthday weekend and I already booked a trip to go to Pittsburgh with some friends for the weekend and celebrate. But I want to pay it forward and I'd love to pass the tickets along (it probably goes without saying but obviously for free!) to somebody who would like to go to the show! So if anybody reading this is interested in going to see The Early November on January 14th in Philly please send me a message and let me know. I just want somebody to go and have the great time that I wish I could have if I could make it.

Thank you so much secret santa, my package is absolutely wonderful! I'm sad I won't be able to make it to the show but I will absolutely make sure that somebody else gets to enjoy the incredibly thoughtful gift. <3

EDIT: Found somebody to use the tickets! Thanks @Snaggle Von Swift!

It was me! Glad you enjoyed the records. That story about Charlie Brown brought a tear to my eye. I'm a little bummed you can't use the tickets but I'm happy they aren't going to waste. It was fun shopping for you, Connor!

2 hours ago, marc32137 said:

It was me! Glad you enjoyed the records. That story about Charlie Brown brought a tear to my eye. I'm a little bummed you can't use the tickets but I'm happy they aren't going to waste. It was fun shopping for you, Connor!

Thank you so much! Happy 2017 mate! <3 

D33C4C50-4038-4D6C-BD32-C23DFE980D88_zps

I opened this this on Christmas, but have been pretty lazy. Sorry for the delay in posting the picture. Here is what was inside:

Tom Waits - Real Gone one I didn't have on vinyl and have always wanted to pick up. Thanks!

Dave Eggers - Wild Things. I have the standard edition, but not the furry one. I think it is awesome, but my wife thinks it is creepy. 

This is a care package comp - I love MBD and did not know this existed. 

JD McPherson - Bossy 45. Rockabilly isn't my favorite genre, but I really do like this. Plus the Nick Lowe cover is good. 

The Good Life flexi. I didn't have this. Thanks!

Planet Express sticker is awesome. 

The mixes are great. I love the case and stickers. 

This SS package was awesome. Thanks santa! My best guess has to be @llamaface

10 hours ago, seangj said:

D33C4C50-4038-4D6C-BD32-C23DFE980D88_zps

I opened this this on Christmas, but have been pretty lazy. Sorry for the delay in posting the picture. Here is what was inside:

Tom Waits - Real Gone one I didn't have on vinyl and have always wanted to pick up. Thanks!

Dave Eggers - Wild Things. I have the standard edition, but not the furry one. I think it is awesome, but my wife thinks it is creepy. 

This is a care package comp - I love MBD and did not know this existed. 

JD McPherson - Bossy 45. Rockabilly isn't my favorite genre, but I really do like this. Plus the Nick Lowe cover is good. 

The Good Life flexi. I didn't have this. Thanks!

Planet Express sticker is awesome. 

The mixes are great. I love the case and stickers. 

This SS package was awesome. Thanks santa! My best guess has to be @llamaface

This was from me. In hindsight, i did not leave any clues, a faux pas on my part.  However, I am glad you enjoyed it. It was fun putting it together.  I also  picked up one of the MDB split 7"s, but then saw that you got the box set. If not, i can send it along. Also, check the half-title of Wild Things - it should be signed by Dave Eggers i believe. A furry book, nothing creepy about that. Real Gone is one of my favorite Tom Waits' records. A must for all. Agreed, a lot of newer rockabilly can be hit or miss, but the 1st JD McPherson record is great. Happy New Year and all the best to kith and kin!

FullSizeRender

Sorry for the lag in posting! Been traveling so much around the holidays! I still have no idea who this was from but IT IS AMAZING. Seriously, you killed it. I've been meaning to buy the SDRE LP2 for years. Also that talons' album is amazing and exactly the type of thing I'm into. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

13 hours ago, deadreckoning said:

This was from me. In hindsight, i did not leave any clues, a faux pas on my part.  However, I am glad you enjoyed it. It was fun putting it together.  I also  picked up one of the MDB split 7"s, but then saw that you got the box set. If not, i can send it along. Also, check the half-title of Wild Things - it should be signed by Dave Eggers i believe. A furry book, nothing creepy about that. Real Gone is one of my favorite Tom Waits' records. A must for all. Agreed, a lot of newer rockabilly can be hit or miss, but the 1st JD McPherson record is great. Happy New Year and all the best to kith and kin!

Thank you so much. I enjoyed everything. Just noticed the signature on Wild Things.  Thanks!

So, I am totally late on posting this (though I had posted a thank you!), but here's the pic. I have been putting off that Julien Baker release because I don't want to give money to 6131, so I was super pumped on that. Not pictured: 2 Amoeba bags and a ton of download codes. I'm also pumped on the pizza cutter.

Ts6fPJ8.jpg

Thanks again, @Diabretic!

14 hours ago, museummouth said:

FullSizeRender

Sorry for the lag in posting! Been traveling so much around the holidays! I still have no idea who this was from but IT IS AMAZING. Seriously, you killed it. I've been meaning to buy the SDRE LP2 for years. Also that talons' album is amazing and exactly the type of thing I'm into. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Cheers!

I was intentionally thin on the clues as Canada Post doesn't let you send without a real return address.  The Mortality Rate LP and Big Rock bottle opener were clues (as was the mix CD of my recent purchases).

Mortality Rate was a total left field pick from a local female-fronted hardcore band I love, you got the numbered screen-printed cover, if it's not your cup of tea there's no love lost if you give it to someone you know who'd be into it!

The Myst book surprised me years ago with how good it was, let me know what think of it.  It's the first in a trilogy, the whole series is great.

On 12/25/2016 at 9:09 PM, himynameisShane said:

So I attempted to wait for the second package, but it hasn't arrived yet. I went ahead and opened what was labeled Package 1/2. This alone would be enough to make me happy!

IMG_1121_zpseyykrout.jpg

My Santa got me the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Soundtrack AND Pinkerton! Unfortunately, all I have to go on as to WHO my Santa is is their location.  However, I have expert snooping skills and I'm 99% sure I know who it is. I'll wait to see if a second package shows up first though.

Either way... THANK YOU!

IMG_1553_zps9zdpr4at.jpg

Came home today to an Amazon package and I knew I didn't order anything! Had a note with it. No worries for the delay! Its the holidays I completely understand!

Thank you so much @museummouth. I've been wanting to start my Weezer collection for a while so this was a very nice jumpstart! Also, I am so excited for the first of the Harry Potter OSTs for my collection! You knocked it out of the park!

Picture is very late as I couldn't figure out to host it and actually get it to work (thanks @controlthebleeding for the tip and reminder). I thanked @curator previously, but want to do so again. Really went above and beyond and really nailed my personality/interests. 

Gifts:

A number of mix CD's with very detailed notes on the songs - I have a lot of windshield time, these have been fantastic. 

Comedy Death Ray CD

Wilco shirt

Wilco: The Book - I've wanted this for years and held off, so amazing. 

Jimmy Eat World 7" from the new LP 

Hot Dog Bottle Opener - I'm in the beer industry and my favorite food is hot dogs, this was a win/win. Also a fantastic opener. 

Alamo Drafthouse Gift Card  - Alamo is the #1 spot my wife and I visit and this came in very handy for our viewing of 'Rogue One'

IMG_7512.jpg

3 hours ago, jacobe said:

Picture is very late as I couldn't figure out to host it and actually get it to work (thanks @controlthebleeding for the tip and reminder). I thanked @curator previously, but want to do so again. Really went above and beyond and really nailed my personality/interests. 

Gifts:

A number of mix CD's with very detailed notes on the songs - I have a lot of windshield time, these have been fantastic. 

Comedy Death Ray CD

Wilco shirt

Hot Dog Bottle Opener - I'm in the beer industry and my favorite food is hot dogs, this was a win/win. Also a fantastic opener. 

Alamo Drafthouse Gift Card  - Alamo is the #1 spot my wife and I visit and this came in very handy for our viewing of 'Rogue One'

IMG_7512.jpg

Glad you liked everything!  Give me some feedback on those mixes someday, hope you discover some new music!  

17 hours ago, jacobe said:

Gifts:

Comedy Death Ray CD

Wilco shirt

IMG_7512.jpg

That Comedy Death Ray CD is SO GOOD. It came out a decade ago but has some huge names on it (Patton Oswalt, Chris Hardwick, David Cross, etc.). There's so much funny material on there.

4 hours ago, scottheisel said:

That Comedy Death Ray CD is SO GOOD. It came out a decade ago but has some huge names on it (Patton Oswalt, Chris Hardwick, David Cross, etc.). There's so much funny material on there.

Agreed (on a side note, I was in the audience when they were recording the sets done in SF (Disc 1).   I love remembering that night whenever I listen to my copy. 

5 hours ago, scottheisel said:

20 minutes ago, roadmonkey said:

Agreed (on a side note, I was in the audience when they were recording the sets done in SF (Disc 1).   I love remembering that night whenever I listen to my copy. 

It's a great CD.  I actually got it with a tape I bought from a band called Marathon States.  One of the dudes stuck it in there as a freebie so I wanted to pass it along again to another comedy fan.

17 hours ago, curator said:

It's a great CD.  I actually got it with a tape I bought from a band called Marathon States.  One of the dudes stuck it in there as a freebie so I wanted to pass it along again to another comedy fan.

I'm shocked I didn't have this actually, so it was a great addition to the package. 

If you don't have this, https://www.amazon.com/Invite-Them-Up-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B000BRP2E6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1483813260&sr=1-1&keywords=Invite+Them+Up&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A1294042011 make sure to track it down as well. Great showcase of early material from some of the bigger comedians in the game currently. 

21 hours ago, jacobe said:

I'm shocked I didn't have this actually, so it was a great addition to the package. 

If you don't have this, https://www.amazon.com/Invite-Them-Up-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B000BRP2E6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1483813260&sr=1-1&keywords=Invite+Them+Up&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A1294042011 make sure to track it down as well. Great showcase of early material from some of the bigger comedians in the game currently. 

LOVE LOVE LOVE that CD too! It was the first time I ever heard Aziz Ansari. I remember writing him through his personal Myspace page (ha!) and telling him how much I enjoyed his material. 

• jhulud unpinned this topic