Secret Santa 2016 - The Unisex Edition

On 12/31/2016 at 4:07 PM, backpackoat said:

9OAVecR.jpg

This year I got an awesome package, courtesy of @scottheisel. I got records from Toe, The Felix Culpa, The Black Heart Procession, Sainthood Reps, and Helen Earth Band; all continuing the tradition of me getting records from bands I recognize the name of but never listened to. He wrote an awesome breakdown of each record, which I didn't include in the above picture, but it got me really excited to listen to each of them. I've only listened to Toe so far, but I really enjoyed it. I just so happen to also not already have the Color Spectrum DVD, so that was an awesome catch and it will be great to finally be able to watch.

The Steel Train promo photo is hilarious, and it just made me realize that if I had seen the band members before I listened to their music, there's no way I would have ever given it a chance because Jack looks absolutely ridiculous. The aughts were a rough time I guess.

TUHuGjO.jpg

Thanks, Scott. Getting a package from you feels like getting a package from a celebrity and I am very grateful. Happy new year!

i love that helen earth band record. landed a copy of it when @scottheisel/youth conspiracy did those grab bags last year and still listen to it pretty regularly. also sainthood reps are just all sorts of amazing :) 

On 12/31/2016 at 2:09 AM, shenanigans said:

Ok. This is going to take up a lot of space, but holy shit.

For starters early last week Lauren messaged me saying that my package might be late. No big deal. She said I should open it immediately because there might be some perishable stuff at the top. Then Mike messages me to say its sitting at the post office. I have all my mail sent to my parents and they put their mail on hold while they were out of town for Christmas, so it got delivered to them on Tuesday or Wednesday. I had them open it to see if there was anything they needed to eat. Most everything else was wrapped, but they were like holy shit. This is so much! I had to explain the whole thing to them. The peeked around but were very confident the person knew me. Tonight was family Hannukkah dinner so I got the package and this is about how it went.

Also based on just talking to my parents I was pretty sure that the person was Lauren.

Opening up the package today the first things were homemade cookies and fudge and a lollipop 7-11 slurpee with sugar thing because I'm obsessed with slurpees. We don't have 7-11s in Georgia so whenever I'm out of town I get slurpees and make it a point to check in - so probably someone that I'm friends with on facebook - Lauren or Mike haha.

2v3sneb.jpg

There were also some stickers/postcards. One of the stickers was from a NYC street artist and the postcard was a Fest postcard from a tattoo shop in Gainesville. I hung out with both Mike and Lauren at Fest, but Lauren is from NYC.  Also a MLIW sticker that I'm kind of stoked on. Had never really listened to this band, but ended up hanging out with Jeff at/after Wrecking Ball last year because they used to stay with good friends of mine when they were in town and he was one of the coolest dudes I've ever met.

hs74us.jpg

Next I opened the non-record packages. 2 mix cds - one being a hockey mix. All songs about hockey although one of my favorites was left off! (The orange and the black by the Boils. Maybe this was left off on purpose since there were a bunch of Rangers songs. A couple of zines, a  slushcult tshirt (a brand for those who love frozen drinks), a book about touring with the Bouncing Souls (favorite band), and 2 cat toys - a taco and a krylon spray can. I'm freaking out of these toys. I dont even want to give the cats the spray can one because its too cool and its been 15 minutes and they've already destroyed the taco. By now you probably know the Hannukkah Harry was Lauren and we facebook videoed so she could watch my kittens destroy these things. Also the spray can because I help out a bunch of artists paint murals and happened to work on one at Fest when a friend from Baltimore was painting a few blocks from my hotel on Friday afternoon.

2dbjiaw.jpg

Lastly the records. 2 Up For Nothing records - NYC band that I think just played their last show opening for the Souls a few weeks ago (more hints towards Lauren). A Have Nots record - her recommendation, the Vandals, Oi to the World, a random flexi, and the Silent World comp (Misfits Tribute) with a Souls song on it. One of the few souls comps that I didn't already own. I think she said she bought this from Japan. 

33xx2tl.jpg

Lastly there was a 7" package labeled open this last. This was the dead giveaway (if it wasn't given away already). The Scandals/Plow United split and a Scandals flexi. I had bought tickets to go the Souls shows in NYC and ended up not being able to go so I gave her the ticket and she grabbed these for me at the show.

2d1trol.jpg

Finally my dad was like I knew it was her too and peeled off the mailing label on the package because she had reused the box.

A small caveat. Lauren and I met last December through Victimofadriveby at a Queers/BigWig show in NY. We also hung out at Fest and went record shopping when I was in NY for Thanksgiving so she probably knows me a bit better than most of the people on this board. Nonetheless she fucking killed it and I'm super stoked as was everyone watching me open these packages. Thanks again!

Pictures are being a bitch to upload so I'll get to that tomorrow. Enjoy the book I just wrote for those of you that like to read without pictures.

i know we already chatted right after you opened everything but so stoked you liked it all! i was so excited to get you this year and had such a blast shopping and making things and putting this all together for you :D and was sooooooo cute watching your kitten go crazy with the taco toy over video chat! :wub:

sorry i missed putting one of your fave songs on that hockey comp but it actually was kind of a conscious choice to skip that one and nothing to do with it being a flyers song haha. i just felt the orange and the black leaned too much towards being a theme song and didnt really fit the vibe i was going for. the songs are pretty spread out and include a ton of general songs about hockey as well as ones that mention a variety of teams/players (and one of those rangers songs is actually a song about hating the rangers haha) so def wasnt trying to lean towards any sort of personal preference in terms of team :) 

anyhow. so glad you loved everything and so happy i could make your first secret santa/hidden hannukah harry experience a good one :D

I'm super late in posting, but here it is!

Lj4n3ujl.jpg

Here's the package.

EdbTwJW.jpg?1

d4wVlQul.jpg

First up is a shirt from Home Slice Pizza. Super cool!

tuWoYNOl.jpg

Some Compilations and a Jason Isbell DVD, which is awesome. Also included, but not pictured is a Fugazi DVD. 

fkrBLZBl.jpg

A switchblade comb! Not much hair left on top for me, but it'll do nicely for a beard. 

27zBqG0l.jpg

I'm a delinquent!

SmtcJ0fl.jpg

Next up is a bunch of 45s. It's a nice mix of bands I like, and bands I haven't heard yet. I've been meaning to check out Big Eyes, so this is cool. 

5vbbjzAl.jpg

And a bunch of albums! I was a big fan of the Spoon record, but I've never owned a copy so this was a good choice. I've been eyeing a copy of that Black Mountain LP at local store for a while now and  I'm happy to own it now. Cool to have a Lucero record now too. 

I've heard good stuff about Merchandise, so this was a good one too. Spot on all around!

pVhsaFNl.jpg

A box set, and it's the rare maroon variant! Big band isn't a genre I know anything about. I'll give this a whirl.

The Fabled envelope... let's see what's inside....

iqYp7fTl.jpg

hahahahaha. Amazing. I almost blue myself laughing. 

Thanks Santa. You really nailed it with this package. Judging by the Home Slice Pizza shirt I'm guessing my Santa was Mike. Thank you so much. It was all really thoughtful of you!

hiiii sorry i'm a jerk! sorry this is so late! i've had a lot going on the past few weeks and didn't have a chance to sit down and get this all written up. even now i'm super exhausted and up way later than i should be. hopefully my ramblings below are semi-sensical. anyhow! here we go!

32202003485_69245da2b2_z.jpg

there was a lovely note with a lovely tree drawing

(although i might have to fight you over that wonder years dig :ph34r:)

32053172092_62d54845b0_z.jpg

32202014335_c1a3588912_z.jpg

31391579003_c2cea2a18d_z.jpg

-Menzingers - Rented World

-Menzingers - On the Impossible Past

-Menzingers - On the Possible Past

-Brand New - Daisy

-Captain, We're Sinking - The Future is Cancelled

(special guest cameo by Jäger. he was not part of the SS package.)

ok so Menzingers is a band that i somehow slept on/never really listened to until recently. my friends are all huge fans and were going ape shit over seeing them play at Fest (especially the OTIP set). having never really listened to them and having bands i really love playing at the same time, i wound up skipping most of their sets at Fest. started listening to them a bit afterwards though and wound up going with all my friends to see them play a small club show in brooklyn thanksgiving weekend (which i would much prefer to seeing them at a huge outdoor stage anyhow). for some bands seeing them live is what really sells me on them and def was the case with them. was such a great show. Menzingers has been my go-to Pandora station the past couple months but hadnt pulled the trigger on buying any vinyl yet so super stoked on these! spun them all while cooking dinner last night and fully jammed out. 

31767711815_cc20e8fc93_z.jpg

seriously. such an awesome show. 

i actually just bought tix today to go see them again in march when they play here. will be a much bigger venue but a ton of friends are going and some even traveling from other states for it so super pumped! def going to be spinning my new Menzos records a whole bunch between now and then :)

sooooo...i actually did already have Daisy :( but no worries. i will make sure i find a happy home :) and i appreciate the thought that went into it (even if i strongly disagree with it being their “best” album haha ;) )

i LOVE captain. i first discovered them a couple years ago when they opened for Hostage Calm's farewell show here (RIP :(). great band. great album. had no idea about the Menzingers connection though so that was a fun fact to learn! i'm always fascinated by the interconnectedness of bands and side projects and back stories so was surprised i never knew it was Greg's brother. pretty neat!

there wasn't really much to go off of clue-wise. but the note did make a point of mentioning that Captain is a Scranton-based band and i remember @curator and @shadowkid33 talking about going to the Menzingers show in Scranton...but since @curator also got Rented World for SS (fist bump) and said he didnt own it...i'm going with Connor! thanks so much dude! really appreciate all the thought you put into this. def lmk if you're ever out this way! i owe you a hug and/or a beer :) 

oh. and random side note.  i love Broadway Calls and was stoked to see them play at High Dive during Fest. one of my favorite Fest moments was watching Greg from the Menzingers up front and center rocking out and singing along to all of their songs and having the time of his life. was straight up the most heartwarmingly adorable thing ever.

No problem @themeconspiracy! Have fun at the Menzingers show! I'm seeing them acoustic at Vintage Vinyl in February and my girlfriend just saw them tonight acoustic in Philly which makes this almost her 20th time seeing them. Every new single that drops off of the new album is incredible, I'm so fucking excited for it to come out.

51 minutes ago, controlthebleeding said:

I have 2 people on my list that haven't posted.. Not sure if Lauren's people are who haven't posted, but i think everyone's been shipped now.. maybe my person didn't like his/her gift. bummer. 

Wait, I thought my gift was from you. Was I wrong?

On 1/9/2017 at 11:24 PM, Youinreverse said:

I'm super late in posting, but here it is!

Reveal hidden contents

Lj4n3ujl.jpg

Here's the package.

EdbTwJW.jpg?1

d4wVlQul.jpg

First up is a shirt from Home Slice Pizza. Super cool!

tuWoYNOl.jpg

Some Compilations and a Jason Isbell DVD, which is awesome. Also included, but not pictured is a Fugazi DVD. 

fkrBLZBl.jpg

A switchblade comb! Not much hair left on top for me, but it'll do nicely for a beard. 

27zBqG0l.jpg

I'm a delinquent!

SmtcJ0fl.jpg

Next up is a bunch of 45s. It's a nice mix of bands I like, and bands I haven't heard yet. I've been meaning to check out Big Eyes, so this is cool. 

5vbbjzAl.jpg

And a bunch of albums! I was a big fan of the Spoon record, but I've never owned a copy so this was a good choice. I've been eyeing a copy of that Black Mountain LP at local store for a while now and  I'm happy to own it now. Cool to have a Lucero record now too. 

I've heard good stuff about Merchandise, so this was a good one too. Spot on all around!

pVhsaFNl.jpg

A box set, and it's the rare maroon variant! Big band isn't a genre I know anything about. I'll give this a whirl.

The Fabled envelope... let's see what's inside....

iqYp7fTl.jpg

hahahahaha. Amazing. I almost blue myself laughing. 

Thanks Santa. You really nailed it with this package. Judging by the Home Slice Pizza shirt I'm guessing my Santa was Mike. Thank you so much. It was all really thoughtful of you!

@controlthebleeding

10 hours ago, Youinreverse said:

Sixth post down on this page. I put it all in a spoiler because there were a lot of photos. :)

sorry, totally missed that.. in the famous words of clay davis from the wire.....shiiiiiiiiiit. 

im glad you liked it though.

Edited by controlthebleeding

Hey sorry I'm super duper late. I opened mine on christmas, and completely forgot to make a thank you post. My guess for my secret santa is ianmonsta. 

I got

Psychotic Acid Freek's Pawnshop Blues

Asobi Seksu's Hush

No Joy's More Faithful

A pocket book about dating and some other tips and a few pins

PYYRUvd.jpg

Edited by Green Tea Papi

• jhulud unpinned this topic