LONDON: Best area for vinyl shops

2 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Berwick Street has several different shops on it and on connecting roads nearest tube is Tottenham court road/Oxford circus. From there you're also near Oxford circus hmv and a Fopp.

This is good to know. I'm going in a few months on my Honeymoon and was wondering about some good shops. Thanks.

Soho is an absolute BLAST to shop through. There's at least 5 or 6 shops on a couple blocks. Phonica is a highlight for sure if you're into any sort of underground electronica, Sounds of the Universe is an incredible place, too.

Always hit up Rough Trade if you're in London, the one on the east end. Can hit up their second shop if you want but it's not as good.

If you're at all into alternative music or that new-era punk the forums are hyped up about, take a trip to Kingston to visit Banquet. Literally my highlight of my trip every time I go there.

I was in London in May, Camden town has a couple of actual record shops which were decent I would recommend Out on the floor records (10 Inverness street, Camden, London.) The owner (I presume) was really friendly and answered all my questions and pointed me to some places where i could possibly find some things i was looking for. But Camden town had several vendors on the streets with records, its really a crapshoot though. I actually found a few gems I had been scanning record shops for but ended up finding on the street. what you'll find down there apart from record hunting its just a really cool area to check out. Good Luck! 

Not to mention the tube drops you off right in the middle of camden town!

Edited by FN-2187

6 hours ago, deer said:

Soho is an absolute BLAST to shop through. There's at least 5 or 6 shops on a couple blocks. Phonica is a highlight for sure if you're into any sort of underground electronica, Sounds of the Universe is an incredible place, too.

Always hit up Rough Trade if you're in London, the one on the east end. Can hit up their second shop if you want but it's not as good.

If you're at all into alternative music or that new-era punk the forums are hyped up about, take a trip to Kingston to visit Banquet. Literally my highlight of my trip every time I go there.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, FN-2187 said:

I was in London in May, Camden town has a couple of actual record shops which were decent I would recommend Out on the floor records (10 Inverness street, Camden, London.) The owner (I presume) was really friendly and answered all my questions and pointed me to some places where i could possibly find some things i was looking for. But Camden town had several vendors on the streets with records, its really a crapshoot though. I actually found a few gems I had been scanning record shops for but ended up finding on the street. what you'll find down there apart from record hunting its just a really cool area to check out. Good Luck! 

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you

Definitely recommend Banquet - get some excellent stuff there.

Berwick St (famously on the cover of What's the Story Morning Glory) is good but always crowded. Particularly Sister Rey which I also find to be extremely expensive for almost anything worth buying. Reckless however has some good digging crates and well worth looking at. Foolishly didn't pick up a Radiohead press there a couple of months ago which I've regretted for a while - was on the beer so didn't fancy carrying it around.

Otherwise, there are some good shops in Camden which are always worth a look. Can't remember the names off hand but definitely head there.

Enjoy!

Definitely recommend Banquet - get some excellent stuff there.

Berwick St (famously on the cover of What's the Story Morning Glory) is good but always crowded. Particularly Sister Rey which I also find to be extremely expensive for almost anything worth buying. Reckless however has some good digging crates and well worth looking at. Foolishly didn't pick up a Radiohead press there a couple of months ago which I've regretted for a while - was on the beer so didn't fancy carrying it around.

Otherwise, there are some good shops in Camden which are always worth a look. Can't remember the names off hand but definitely head there.

Enjoy!

14 hours ago, elnombre91 said:

Go to All Ages in Camden.

This, every time I am in London, I always end up spending most money here, their selection of punk/hardcore is amazing.

Plus I love the OG Rough Trade store, Rough Trade West as some people call it now, smaller but a very decent 2nd hand selection.

I really want to go to Kingston, but I am not sure how to get there easy.

1 hour ago, nico said:

This, every time I am in London, I always end up spending most money here, their selection of punk/hardcore is amazing.

Plus I love the OG Rough Trade store, Rough Trade West as some people call it now, smaller but a very decent 2nd hand selection.

I really want to go to Kingston, but I am not sure how to get there easy.

You can get a direct train out to Kingston from Waterloo Station. Only takes about half an hour. Well worth the trip for Banquet, and it's generally a nice part of the world. Good for a reprieve from the hustle and bustle of London :)

1 hour ago, jmpatrick said:

The best record store I found while in the London area a couple years ago was Casbah Records in Greenwich: https://www.facebook.com/CasbahRecordsAtTheBeehive/?fref=ts

Greenwich also has a Music Video Exchange just around the corner from the station, for those who aren't in the know they deal primarily in trade ins but the guys and girls in the shop will let you inspect before you part with your cash. I have on occasion seen sealed and unplayed records in there but it's a bit of a rarity. The staff do tend to know their stuff enough that you won't walk away with something worth millions that you paid pennies for but there's still plenty of magic in their bins.

Also for those who just want to tack a brief record store visit onto a trip/vacation to London I'd highly sing the praises of Greenwich. It's less crowded than central London but there's still plenty to see and do there.

For those headed to Kingston for Banquet, there's also a used record shop around the corner - mostly older stuff, but I've found a few decent things here in the past:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Collectors+Record+Centre/@51.4106701,-0.3005529,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48760be9f2559a9f:0x1f8de0100239124b!8m2!3d51.4106701!4d-0.2983642?hl=en

Wish they had a "Recent Arrivals" section, but what can you do?

Just thought this might be worth adding. In London three times a year, and in Bristol, L.A., Berlin, Hamburg and Barcelona annually, label founders and music fans come together to hang out as a community and buy records. 

Independent Label Market

There is one To-morrow (10th September) at Uniqulo, Oxford Street. Transgressive Records will be selling some vinyl copies of I.Gemini, the debut album from new UK electronic duo Let's Eat Grandma, customised by the band.

Edited by Roandy55
Updated info