PO: Clipping. - Splendor & Misery out 9/9/16

mootloot

https://megamart.subpop.com/releases/clipping/splendor_and_misery

Clipping.-Splendor & Misery. For fans of noise, hip-hop, and Hamilton. Pre-orders are the looser edition of clear vinyl. I pre-ordered and got mine in the mail yesterday. Comes with a sticker and patch. This is a concept space slave ship revolution record. Features Daveed Diggs, vocals and lyrics, who played Lafayette in Hamilton. His voice is like butter. The noise varies from beat driven to rumbles to harsh noise. 

7 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Just ordered this. I DL'd it a couple of weeks ago but only started playing it yesterday. Its really good. Super solid. Daveed is fantastic. 

This excites me. How does it hold up to Midcity and CLPPNG, or have you not listened to it enough yet to start comparing?

On 9/11/2016 at 1:48 AM, Kanye West said:

I absolutely love CLPPNG, but this new album is a fucking chore to listen to.

There's some sick flow on it but the space opera thing just isn't working for me. It's just not what I love about clipping.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but I'm pretty damn disappointed. 

I feel the same. I liked the EP earlier this year, but this album is WAY too experimental for its own good. I embrace experimentation that makes for an interesting change of pace, but it just comes off as boring mostly. And for fuck's sake almost all of the tracks here sound/feel like interludes. It's one of the only albums I can think of in which all of the songs flow into one another yet it's surprisingly disjointed on the whole.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Small bump, two things:

This song is fucking amazing:

In a recent podcast Daveed dropped that clipping. is working on a HORROR THEMED ALBUM.  Beyond stoked.

oh, and this song came out recently too, probably the most harsh noise they've done so far for those yearning for the Midcity sound:

Edited by daegor