PO SOON: Beastie Boys - License To Ill

clerk3745

Ordered from Amazon.ca - Hopefully its a killer press......Last year i stumbled across a Japanese pressing with inners in pretty wicked condition at a good price.....Have been smashing that since

Won a copy of No Sleep Till Brooklyn 12" Single on a raffle last week as well......great week for my Beastie listening

I, too, am really bummed that I never got to see them live. This album is one of my all-time favorites. I picked up a used original copy a couple years ago but still might pick this up. We'll see.

Sidenote: I really wish they'd release some rarities or unreleased stuff. I'd love for more new Beastie tracks, and being a band for over 20 years before MCA's passing, there's gotta be some extra stuff lying around. Maybe they'll release something when they finally put out that book they've been writing.

28 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

I, too, am really bummed that I never got to see them live. This album is one of my all-time favorites. I picked up a used original copy a couple years ago but still might pick this up. We'll see.

Sidenote: I really wish they'd release some rarities or unreleased stuff. I'd love for more new Beastie tracks, and being a band for over 20 years before MCA's passing, there's gotta be some extra stuff lying around. Maybe they'll release something when they finally put out that book they've been writing.

AD Rock did an interview a little over a year ago saying they have a shit ton of unreleased material that they may put out one day. He says it's unreleased for a reason, but it could be interesting to put it out at some point (basically all the b-sides and stuff that didn't make the studio albums). He also said they kept recording as a group till 2012 but that stuff will probably never be released.

https://youtu.be/23ZlUOeiCqo?t=678

^ There's the interview.

12 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

AD Rock did an interview a little over a year ago saying they have a shit ton of unreleased material that they may put out one day. He says it's unreleased for a reason, but it could be interesting to put it out at some point (basically all the b-sides and stuff that didn't make the studio albums). He also said they kept recording as a group till 2012 but that stuff will probably never be released.

https://youtu.be/23ZlUOeiCqo?t=678

^ There's the interview.

Oh, awesome. I'll check this out after work. Thanks.

2 hours ago, gazzo said:

luckily enough i've seen them around 7 or 8 times , but they should release Anthology: The Sounds of Science on vinyl. A nice 4LP set or something.  

There was a vinyl pressing when it was first released. It came with a hardback book.

https://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys-Anthology-The-Sounds-Of-Science/release/472313

I'm actually quite surprised that this is getting reissued; all three BB (particularly MCA and Mike D) had/have been vocal over the years about how they're embarrassed and ashamed of some of the lyrics from around this time period, particularly the way they talked about women (like in this interview from July, where Mike D said, "there's obviously a lot of stuff on there that I'd like to never hear again"). But I am happy that it's coming out--I'm a big fan of not burying history, even if it's a bit ugly, and there are some good tracks here, and certainly glimmers of the more focused, inclusive group that they would become. 

I'm actually quite surprised that this is getting reissued; all three BB (particularly MCA and Mike D) had/have been vocal over the years about how they're embarrassed and ashamed of some of the lyrics from around this time period, particularly the way they talked about women (like in this interview from July, where Mike D said, "there's obviously a lot of stuff on there that I'd like to never hear again"). But I am happy that it's coming out--I'm a big fan of not burying history, even if it's a bit ugly, and there are some good tracks here, and certainly glimmers of the more focused, inclusive group that they would become. 

On 9/12/2016 at 5:26 PM, glass realms said:

There was a vinyl pressing when it was first released. It came with a hardback book.

https://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys-Anthology-The-Sounds-Of-Science/release/472313

I have the Hardcover Book + 2CD version of The Sounds of Science -- which has pretty much disappeared in the last few years if someone wants to buy or trade for it...

Edited by mertzrock