PO NOW: Suffocate For F**k Sake - In My Blood (10/28/2016)

omik11303

17 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

< $21 PPD is a little too good to be true.  I need to double-check, but isn't the total runtime on this thing over an hour?  If that's the case and they try to stuff it on a single LP, it's either going to be compressed as hell or it'll have to omit nearly a quarter of the album to sound solid.

Yeah, it's ~56 minutes.  I'm kind of hopping this doesn't fly off the shelves, like to hear some thoughts on sound quality before I order it.  I guess at that price, it's a little easier to roll t he dice and hope it sounds decent.

58 minutes ago, januarytwenty said:

Their first album was one LP too and it sounds good. 

If you enjoy the first half you own, you're gonna' love the C/D side if you can track one down.

But really.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a 56 minute album that sounds great pressed onto a single LP?

12 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If you enjoy the first half you own, you're gonna' love the C/D side if you can track one down.

But really.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a 56 minute album that sounds great pressed onto a single LP?

LOL

re: your question, I never had any issues with Peregrine. I still listen to the singleLP  vs 2xLP 180gm - granted the latter does sound a bit better, but also my set up and ancient ears are factored in.

I know some of my old 70's Prog seemed quite long for single LPs and no issues with sound that I can recall.  But I don't know if 56 min long.

30 minutes a side was the limit once upon a time, in never never land.

On 6/19/2017 at 6:34 PM, Derek™ said:

The longest single LP I own (to my knowledge) is Echoes - The Pursuit at 54 minutes. Surprisingly it actually still sounds pretty good. I get the point though, and for the role that soft/silent sections play in SFFS I'm nervous that either a) the surface noise is gonna be overpowering, or b ) it just won't sound good at all. 

I'm also gonna wait a little bit to order, fwiw. If I hear these things are flying off the shelf then I will likely cave but for now there's no sense in jumping the gun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered 2 clear copies.

I got them in about a week and a half ago, and just getting around to wet cleaning and playing one, it is quiet - easily 8.5 to 9 /10

As far as sound quality, I had just listened to Ride: Nowhere 25 year edition 2xLP and Meniscus's latest 2xLP Refractions and it was equal to the Ride and blew away the Refractions (which sounds weak and compressed on the highs, but robust on the low end).  I would easily rate is 8 /10 on sound quality.

BTW - regarding the music - what an awesome return for a sophomore record, like a Phoenix!

On 7/18/2017 at 0:29 PM, jonrawks said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll be curious to see if the black sounds any better.

I wish more folks would chime in as well

On 7/18/2017 at 4:37 AM, LordZagry said:

Got a clear, and yeah, the sound is bad : there is a LOT of surface noise. I'm not too sensitive usually, but here it bothers listening.

Sorry man, if you were in the US I could ship you a copy for $3 + cost.

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Out of curiosity... where did you order from, Don?  Really impressed that your copy sounds so good considering the amount of music compressed onto one LP.  I'm still waiting on mine to show up, but haven't received any sort of shipping update or anything from Halo of Flies.

I see Halo has Black up on discogs now for $15.50 + shipping, not bad, dude is still righteous.  I haven't ordered from him in a while - I miss his thread on DF. Got a lot of Denovali stuff when he had that major sale several years ago.

Kollektif is where I ordered from

Black are 11 Euro and Clear are 13 Euro

Shipping for 1 album is 5 Euro, and for 2-3 is 8.5 Euro

I got mine for $19.80 each ppd (as the Euro is up a bit now) in a foldover protective type mailer with lots of stickers and postcards, decent poly jacket, etc.

I walked through the site after signing in today, so it calculates US shipping automatically and takes out the VAT. Not all labels take out the VAT.

Right now it's about $21ppd for a single Clear, $20.xx for 2 Clears and $18.60ppd for 3 Clears. That's the sweet spot, because 4 records, shipping jumps to 18 Euro.

On discogs, 44 Clears are already registered and only 3 Wants.

I think there will be a high number of collectors putting this in discogs collections, eventually 50% or more will be there once sold out.

I also have the feeling this release has parallels HANL Deathconsciousness, followed by The Unnatural World - but on a smaller scale, of course. The demand /fever isn't there, but also we've had a long time to listen to In My Blood before the vinyl was pressed.

It's somewhat tempting to be a Good Samaritan, but what if I get 3 crappy pressings ordering more now? I've got two excellent in at less than $20ppd for a single LP shipping from overseas. Past experience is saying be happy with what I have and somebody's going to come along to help out. But not 3 more peeps.

28 minutes ago, drds89 said:

I see Halo has Black up on discogs now for $15.50 + shipping, not bad, dude is still righteous.  I haven't ordered from him in a while - I miss his thread on DF. Got a lot of Denovali stuff when he had that major sale several years ago.

Kollektif is where I ordered from

Black are 11 Euro and Clear are 13 Euro

Shipping for 1 album is 5 Euro, and for 2-3 is 8.5 Euro

I got mine for $19.80 each ppd (as the Euro is up a bit now) in a foldover protective type mailer with lots of stickers and postcards, decent poly jacket, etc.

I walked through the site after signing in today, so it calculates US shipping automatically and takes out the VAT. Not all labels take out the VAT.

Right now it's about $21ppd for a single Clear, $20.xx for 2 Clears and $18.60ppd for 3 Clears. That's the sweet spot, because 4 records, shipping jumps to 18 Euro.

On discogs, 44 Clears are already registered and only 3 Wants.

I think there will be a high number of collectors putting this in discogs collections, eventually 50% or more will be there once sold out.

I also have the feeling this release has parallels HANL Deathconsciousness, followed by The Unnatural World - but on a smaller scale, of course. The demand /fever isn't there, but also we've had a long time to listen to In My Blood before the vinyl was pressed.

It's somewhat tempting to be a Good Samaritan, but what if I get 3 crappy pressings ordering more now? I've got two excellent in at less than $20ppd for a single LP shipping from overseas. Past experience is saying be happy with what I have and somebody's going to come along to help out. But not 3 more peeps.

I initially ordered from Kollektif the moment they went up, unsure if they'd sell out quickly considering the scarcity and demand for Blazing Fires.  The price was stellar – about $20 or just shy, PPD, to the US – but once I saw that HOF were getting copies stateside, I figured I could go that route to save on some time.  (And $1.50.)  I did not choose wisely.  I figured HOF would receive stock earlier than I'd be able to, to distribute accordingly, but now I'm thinking that I'd have my copy in hand if I had just kept my Kollektif order.  Oh well.

Clear showed up today.  Turntable hasn't been right nor getting much use for a while now, but I'm considering taking this over to a friend's place and giving it a shot, just to see which of the quality camps I fall into.  Sounds like a really hit-or-miss press – really hoping for something akin to Don's experience.

Also had a sensible chuckle at VC's resident Discogs troll.  There's like 6-7 users discussing this album in a thread that's 2 pages, and the dingus is trying to pocket $100 off this.  Fucking lol.  It's starting to get weird.

I got a black copy in earlier this week and had time to listen to it this afternoon.  I thought it sounded quite good all the way through.  I was expecting some IGD on the B-side, but her voice came through very clearly  Even turned it up and listened to part of it again to double check.