Jump to content
twentytwo

PO: Our Lady Peace- Clumsy

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, jrodan said:

yeah, i had a $6 credit from a shipping issue that amazon had previously so mine was only $29ppd. really stoked as this is tied for my favorite album from them with happiness. wonder if it will be on blue vinyl like the discogs entry.

Northern Volume lists it as black:

https://www.northernvolume.com/our-lady-peace-spiritual-machines-180g-vinyl-lp-record/

 

I was walking past a Sunrise Records when I read this thread earlier and popped in. They had some but there wasn't a hype sticker indicating coloured vinyl. I wonder if the majority are black.

Edited by Subdomestic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jrodan said:

yeah, i had a $6 credit from a shipping issue that amazon had previously so mine was only $29ppd. really stoked as this is tied for my favorite album from them with happiness. wonder if it will be on blue vinyl like the discogs entry.

i did notice that only the opaque blue is listed on discogs but in the review section someone said the one they got was black.  i honestly hope i get a black one, standard black to me is always a safe bet for little to no SQ issues.  in contrast, i will avoid an opaque white record like the plague.  have had nothing but bad experiences with opaque white surface noise mostly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tape said:

Yeah, for as "limited" of a guitar player Mike Turner supposedly was, out of this band's 4 best albums he co-wrote three and played on all four. Also all four were produced by Arnold Lanni and sound great.

 

It makes me think of Coheed and Cambria and Josh Eppard. The albums without him are good in their own ways, but they sound extremely different and are lacking the groove that is unique to Josh. Once he came back, they "sounded like Coheed" again to me. Claudio is obviously the face of the band and plays a massive role in writing and shaping the music, but for me Josh is the glue that makes them stick. Mike Turner obviously had more to do with what made Our Lady Peace so good than Raine would like anyone to believe.

Yep, agree fully.....excellent comparison.  Josh gives Coheed that sound, as did Mike and Jeremy Taggart's unique drumming on the first four OLP albums.  From what I remember back in the day, it was Bob Rock that suggested the change to Jeremy's drumming on subsequent records beginning with Gravity to a "less is more" style which made him sound like every other boring rock drummer to some extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twhite1221 said:

Yep, agree fully.....excellent comparison.  Josh gives Coheed that sound, as did Mike and Jeremy Taggart's unique drumming on the first four OLP albums.  From what I remember back in the day, it was Bob Rock that suggested the change to Jeremy's drumming on subsequent records beginning with Gravity to a "less is more" style which made him sound like every other boring rock drummer to some extent.

All that being said, is the band completely oblivious to something that seems so obvious to fans??  bring back the original lineup and do things the way they were done originally.  i would LOVE a new OLP album that has the magic of the first 4.  But maybe there's now some bitterness with Mike and Jeremy now that they were given das boot.  :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gravity and later were just bad to me. Between Raine's voice change, Turner's noticable absence and the new slick over produced sound, I just really don't care for it.  I recently saw them live, and was blown away at how bad they sounded.    Not trying to be harsh, but Raine's voice was completely shot, and the new drummer...well he isn't Jeremy Taggart.   Was really disappointed.  Super excited to hear they're pressing/pressed Spiritual Machines though and would love a Happiness press as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I never really considered him an influence on my drumming (I always thought Brendan Canty and Chad Gracey were my biggest influences, plus obvious dudes like Neil Peart, &c.) but in the last couple of years I've come to realize that I copped a lot of shit from Jeremy Taggart. Dude's really good and definitely has "a voice" on the kit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

It looks like most copies of this are said to be on opaque blue vinyl but this listing from hmv japan insists it is black vinyl:

 

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Our-Lady-Peace_000000000053123/item_Spiritual-Machines-Black-Vinyl_8275719

A comment on the Discogs entry indicates someone has a black copy. I believe the canadian ones the band was selling on tour were definitely blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-12-13 at 2:48 PM, aopps42 said:

Gravity and later were just bad to me. Between Raine's voice change, Turner's noticable absence and the new slick over produced sound, I just really don't care for it.  I recently saw them live, and was blown away at how bad they sounded.    Not trying to be harsh, but Raine's voice was completely shot, and the new drummer...well he isn't Jeremy Taggart.   Was really disappointed.  Super excited to hear they're pressing/pressed Spiritual Machines though and would love a Happiness press as well.

No offence to the band, I’m a fan. But they’ve always sounded horrible live. I’ve seen them 3 times in the late 90s. All three were bad.  Been overproduced since day 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barberbro said:

No offence to the band, I’m a fan. But they’ve always sounded horrible live. I’ve seen them 3 times in the late 90s. All three were bad.  Been overproduced since day 1. 

Fair enough, I saw them a handful of time then as well, but I had not seen many shows yet in my life, so I wouldn't have been the best of judge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×