The Caretaker / Leyland Kirby thread

axotyl

Just now, MCDELTAT said:

So I just want to clarify the orders on these things since I'm still kinda new to his work. "When We Parted My Heart Wanted To Die", "Sadly, The Future Is No Longer What It Was, and "Memories Live Longer Than Dreams" are all part of a 2009 series "Sadly, The Future Is No Longer What It Was" right?

Then he has his new series "Everywhere at the End of Time" that's a 6-part finale to this project right? And each of those is getting a vinyl press as well right? Just tough to keep up with/hard to decide if I want all of them.

Seems like you hit the nail on the head.

I really, really wish they'd release a slipcase/box that'd be available for the people that bought all three new Sadly The Future represses.

1 minute ago, MCDELTAT said:

So I just want to clarify the orders on these things since I'm still kinda new to his work. "When We Parted My Heart Wanted To Die", "Sadly, The Future Is No Longer What It Was, and "Memories Live Longer Than Dreams" are all part of a 2009 series "Sadly, The Future Is No Longer What It Was" right?

Then he has his new series "Everywhere at the End of Time" that's a 6-part finale to this project right? And each of those is getting a vinyl press as well right? Just tough to keep up with/hard to decide if I want all of them.

Not exactly. Leyland Kirby has several projects

Leyland Kirby:

Future no long is what it was, you have the sequencing and facts right.

Caretaker:

The new 6 part series is the finale to this project which has several records over the years.

V\Vm

Many cds\youtube videos. Very few vinyl pressings. Maybe 3?

He's got a lot of other projects\names too and they are all different in respects and similar in others. The stranger, among others. 

1 minute ago, rooks said:

Caretaker:

The new 6 part series is the finale to this project which has several records over the years.

Yeah this is right, I missed where MCDELTAT (STEVE HOLT!) said that it's a continuation of the Leyland series.

1 minute ago, MCDELTAT said:

Hmmm surprising to see so many of these getting flipped for the style of music honestly. I guess I'll just have to pay more attention to avoid getting it from flippers.

It doesn't seem like they're actually flipping for much though right? There was a genuine scarcity to the older releases but now the new ones are just flooded by flippers.

1 hour ago, rooks said:

Ohhh I see. I go cheapest option "Parcel Post" or whatever it's called. Usually like 3.60  GBP which is under 5 bucks. Always shows up in perfect condition, I've only EVER in probably near a hundred+ orders (boomkat is my most frequent vendor) had an issue  and it was just warping on a Laurel Halo record and they sent me a replacement without issue.

I've never used the premium shipping and probably never would unless the order was a ~$100-$200 box set.

Just so you know since you seem concerned with packaging - the cheapest option is a record-sized box, no overhang lips/edges (think amazon). Inside the box the record is wrapped in cushioned plastic wrap and taped tightly to an inner cardboard piece. It's a solid little package and I've never had issue (save once that was probably due to weather more than packaging).

I guess I've been wasting my money; won't use the premium packaging option in the future.  IIRC I think it is just a few more cardboard inserts anyway~

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I missed this thread initially and didn't get to grab any while they were going up :( The black variants weren't insane last time I looked fortunately.

fuck it. 10% off at amoeba--got all 3 volumes of 'sadly...' as well as the first 2 stages of 'everywhere at the end of time'. that should keep me busy and depressed for a while haha.

32 minutes ago, rooks said:

The Stranger is excellent. But, check out Watching Dead Empires instead of bleaklow, bleaklow is  more of a repress of really old shit. Watching Dead Empires is actually great though.

I'll give it a listen when I get to work tomorrow.  Thanks for putting that on my radar!

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I'll give it a listen when I get to work tomorrow.  Thanks for putting that on my radar!

I've got a lot more in that far-out-in-left-field shit if you end up digging it haha. Gimme a direction and I've got recs. I specialize in the weird shit that boomkat sells haha. Hope you enjoy it!

On 7/13/2017 at 0:28 PM, lethalenforcer said:

I really, really wish they'd release a slipcase/box that'd be available for the people that bought all three new Sadly The Future represses.

This thought has crossed my mind several times over the last month or so, as soon as I was lucky enough to nab the final installment on gold vinyl.  I don't even know what sort of design would work for a slipcase like that – maybe an acrylic case that's a flat, matte gold but really faded, scuffed, and worn?  It'd be cool if they did a run of 50 or 100 and each one had unique wear.  Maybe the back could resembled the wooden mount of a painting like all the albums do, and have a slight texture for the wood or something.  I don't know, a dude can dream.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a blue copy. The only one I don't have on blue so far is Stage 1. These are all pretty good, but I'm wondering if stages 4-6 are going to change it up a bit? As many of these tracks keep using the same source material, just mixed and spun differently. Not to say it sounds bad, but I'm sort of hoping for a bigger difference in the next few stages