[News] Amoeba Records Hits Big With Pot Shop Permit in Berkeley

EHughes527

Found this to be incredibly interesting and kinda hilarious. 

One stop shopping for some!

http://m.eastbayexpress.com/LegalizationNation/archives/2016/09/26/amoeba-records-hits-big-with-pot-shop-permit

Last October, we broke the news thatcannabis might be helping to save the music industry. Amid the collapse of record sales and the rise of legal cannabis, musicians are launching marijuana brands. Also, the West Coast’s most famous record store, Amoeba Records, had opened a medical marijuana doctor’s office, and was applying for a coveted license to sell medical cannabis in Berkeley

Last week, those plans came to fruition: The Berkeley City Council agreed to grant the ailing record store a license to dispense medical cannabis from their Telegraph Ave. store. The store will be called BC3, for Berkeley Compassionate Care Collective, at 2465 Telegraph Ave.

“We. Got. The. Berkeley. Dispensary. Permit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A record store and a dispensary, who could have imagined this awesomeness?!?!?!?!?!?” wrote Amber Senter, Amoeba permit team member,  on Facebook.

It could be a minimum of several months before any Amoeba Records Dispensary sees its first customers. The records store’s conversion of its jazz room and exterior requires approvals from Berkeley’s Department of Planning and Development.

Berkeley council also approved another pot-shop dispensary, to be operated by the group behind San Francisco’s enormously successful, well-run, award-winning The Apothecarium. Berkeley’s The Apothecarium will be at 2578 Shattuck Ave. 

These two new permits come after Council awarded a permit to its first Black, female, senior citizen pot shop owner Sue Taylor. 

Competition was fierce for Taylor’s permit, and Council agreed to add two more permits after she won hers. Berkeley currently has three licensed, operational dispensaries: Berkeley Patients Group, CBCB, and BPCC. BPCC led a campaign to oppose any new permittees near its small, low-profile store on Telegraph Ave.

Edited by EHughes527

1 hour ago, EHughes527 said:

“We. Got. The. Berkeley. Dispensary. Permit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A record store and a dispensary, who could have imagined this awesomeness?!?!?!?!?!?” wrote Amber Senter, Amoeba permit team member,  on Facebook.

Seems a bit like pandering, but whatever works for them I guess

Yeah, I get what you guys are saying.  Just seems like weird yuppie stuff to me.  Personally, I'd rather buy my drugs and my music at two different places.

2 hours ago, rds said:

Weed is the new posters, t-shirts, and fashion apparel.  It sounds like it's going to be the thing they actually make money on.

'Weed is the new t-shirt' would make a pretty sweet band name.  Or t-shirt.

I'm just wondering were all the jazz records are going to go. I guess they could deliver them to my house. I am looking forward to seeing how this all pans out. I mean, they sell ice cream at Rasputin's down the block, so why not herb at Amoeba.

Edited by lexicondevil

Hope it works for them, my former employer (Independent Records) opened a dispensary across the street and called it Indispensary, I worked for both. The pot shop did good for like a year or 2 but now 3 or 4 years later and it's on life support both the record store and dispensary. But it's California not Colorado Springs, so it may have an advantage there.

2 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

Hope it works for them, my former employer (Independent Records) opened a dispensary across the street and called it Indispensary, I worked for both. The pot shop did good for like a year or 2 but now 3 or 4 years later and it's on life support both the record store and dispensary. But it's California not Colorado Springs, so it may have an advantage there.

The kids at the college down the street will most likely make the dispensary a success.

1 minute ago, lexicondevil said:

The kids at the college down the street will most likely make the dispensary a success.

we had 2 colleges besides the CC, but the problem was they tried to run it like a record store, and they stopped getting new strains and didn't drop prices in line with other shops until it was too late. I don't doubt it's success, it seems like a match made in heaven

7 hours ago, Shlebs said:

Just meet the plug at the record store haha

Well, to be fair I haven't personally picked up in like 5-6 years. I always seem to date someone who buys in bulk. I just kinda throw some money at the situation.

BUT if I could just walk into a store I'd do it.