PO NOW: Tycho - Epoch

Tycho’s Epoch is the final album in the trilogy beginning with 2011’s Dive, then 2014’s Awake and culminating with the new album. This period between Dive and Epoch marks a significant maturation for Scott Hansen's continually expanding project, one that has taken him from a solo performer and bedroom artist to fronting a live 4-piece band on large stages across the world. 

Epoch hones the sonic aesthetic of Dive while drawing on the kinetic energy of Awake, it explores darker themes and new musical territory. Epoch was produced and recorded by Hansen predominantly in his home studio in Berkeley, California. The album was arranged alongside long time collaborator and partner in the project, Zac Brown. Brown contributed bass and guitar parts to the songwriting process while Rory O’Connor performed drums on the album. Hansen sees Epoch as a multi-dimensional artistic vision at the confluence of his graphic design work via ISO50 and music with Tycho. The graphic presentation of album artwork is as important as the music itself. The keystone is the central image of Epoch and the colors scheme red and black. This is a stark contrast to the almost rainbow palette of Awake. 

When discussing the surprise element of this release Hansen said, “I've never been fond of the ‘hand in the album then wait 4 months for it to come out' release schedule. I wanted to be more connected to the people consuming the music." He continues, "There is a kind of visceral fulfillment you get from sharing something that you've just created with other people. We just finished mastering the album in late august so it will barely be a month old when people hear it. That's a very satisfying feeling as an artist.

GI-279_3000x300_540_540.jpg

1. Glider
  2. Horizon
  3. Slack
  4. Receiver
  5. Epoch
  6. Division
  7. Source
  8. Local
  9. Rings
  10. Continuum
  11. Field

Two variants:

Limited edition Red Vinyl (Previously stated 10,000) and Black Standard (No number specified)

Jacket is a 2-panel printed matte finish jacket with a 3mm spine; LP inserted into uncoated art sleeve.

** Customers outside North America, order via this link **

Physical orders come with an instant download of digital release. Vinyl expected to ship on or around January 20th.

** Please note: limited edition items are restricted to a quantity of 2 per customer; purchases violating our limit will be canceled. **

http://www.theghostlystore.com/products/tycho-epoch-lp?utm_source=ghostlycom&utm_medium=buynowlink&utm_campaign=ghostlyproductpage

*According to an email from Ghostly, you can order the vinyl or cd "with free shipping for a limited time" which brings the total to a flat $20. Unsjkjhkjhkjhgjgjhfhhgfure of when it'll end though.

unspecified-1_2ad6251c-a729-4acd-b4cc-d6

An Indie Exclusive has also been revealed, coming with a slipmat if you preorder in the store:

**NOTE: This offer is only available at Independent Record Stores in the United States and can only be purchased by going to the below local record stores. Limited to 1,000 units. This is not available in The Ghostly Store or ISO50 webstores**

http://ghostly.com/releases/epoch-slipmat

epoch-slipmat-mockup_540_540.jpg

Also available is a vinyl/cd and t-shirt bundle

http://shop.iso50.com/collections/epoch/products/epoch-bundle

Vinyl_Bundle_Silver_1024x1024.jpg?v=1475

Edited by SpazzyMcGee
Added words

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Refuse to listen to anything before the actual album, personally, but all I can say is that it's about damn time.

I listened to the first single when he released it, and it's pretty fuckin good. Can't wait to hear the rest after loving Awake so much, and it's pretty similar.

Edited by JRHews

There wasn't necessarily a set date and countdown for release, but I feel like Scott and the gang have been teasing the new album for a year now. I've actually gotten a bit restless with all the studio photos, sound bites, Facebook live streams, and other vague updates... which is why it was so exciting to finally see some singles officially surface in these last few months.

56 minutes ago, JRHews said:

I listened to the first single when he released it, and it's pretty fuckin good. Can't wait to hear the rest after looking Awake so much, and it's pretty similar.

Perfect.  I initially found Awake to be way too brief and far weaker than Dive, but consistent replay (and seeing the bulk of the album live) has really swayed my opinion since that initial spin.  I'll be elated if they've crammed just as much goodness and replayability into the new album.