Cleaning smudges off record jackets

For glossy sleeves I use plastic polish called Novus #1 - I used to use it a lot when I bought LaserDiscs back in the 90's - I used it on the discs themselves but then found out that it leaves the sleeves looking fantastic when applied sparingly and polished off with a soft rag. I always struggled to find it in the UK and had to import it from the US.

I know some people use furniture polishes and and such like but for me, I thought they tended to leave a waxy residue, where Novus is anti fogging and anti static too. 

Non glossy or rough coated sleeves are more difficult - the only thing I have ever found that worked for me was a really gentle rub with a white pencil eraser to remove some marks. 

Edited by Lunarjetman

I try not eat chinese spare ribs or hush puppies right before putting on a record.

That said, It's usually the center labels of 7"s where i typically end up leaving a big fat greasy thumb print. I curse to myself and then rub it Miyagi style with my tshirt and forget it ever happened.

On a serious answer though. I do tend to wash my hands sometimes. Just an OCD issue on my part. As for a removing these smudges after the fact, a damp cloth or even a puppy cleaning cloth (as weird at that sounds, they're like baby wipes) works as long as you don't press into the cardboard and just lightly wipe. But you run into a big risk of the dampness getting into the paper surface and damaging the jacket. Sometimes you just have to live with it.

45 minutes ago, jhulud said:

On a serious answer though. I do tend to wash my hands sometimes. Just an OCD issue on my part. As for a removing these smudges after the fact, a damp cloth or even a puppy cleaning cloth (as weird at that sounds, they're like baby wipes) works as long as you don't press into the cardboard and just lightly wipe. But you run into a big risk of the dampness getting into the paper surface and damaging the jacket. Sometimes you just have to live with it.

I'm one of those weirdos who washes his hands thoroughly before handling my records. Just a habit I got into and it stuck.

Don't touch the jacket, and you won't have fingerprints.

I slide the jacket into a resealable outer sleeve with the opening facing the same way as the jacket opening. No need to touch it.

I also wash my hands before handling my albums.

A damp paper towel used sparingly will remove prints as well.

3 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Don't touch the jacket, and you won't have fingerprints.

I slide the jacket into a resealable outer sleeve with the opening facing the same way as the jacket opening. No need to touch it.

I also wash my hands before handling my albums.

A damp paper towel used sparingly will remove prints as well.

hrm. I always put my records away with the inner sleeve opening up, away from the cover opening, and theN do the outter plastic sleeve the same way as the inner, up away from cover opening. For whatever reason I think this will help keep dust out (I'm sure it doesn't) but your way seems interesting.

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

hrm. I always put my records away with the inner sleeve opening up, away from the cover opening, and theN do the outter plastic sleeve the same way as the inner, up away from cover opening. For whatever reason I think this will help keep dust out (I'm sure it doesn't) but your way seems interesting.

I use resealable sleeves, so no dust gets in, and the sleeves don't get all bunched up when you slide the record back on the shelf.

54 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

I use resealable sleeves, so no dust gets in, and the sleeves don't get all bunched up when you slide the record back on the shelf.

I don't love those resealable sleeves. I've had some bad experiences in the past with them. I've heard a lot of people complain about their sleeve bunching but I've never had that problem.