The Beginner's Guide to Vinyl: How to Build, Maintain, and Experience a Music Collection in Analog Book by Jenna Miles (SRC)

jhulud

book_single.jpeg

Vinyl records are back--in a big way. Music lovers are turning back to vinyl for its pure sound and the fun of collecting. If you're ready to take the plunge, The Beginner's Guide to Vinyl will walk you through the basics of what is sure to become your newest passion.

Whether your musical tastes are jazz, rock, country, classical, or show tunes, you can find vinyl records from your favorite artists--but you have to know where to look. And DJ-turned-vinyl-expert Jenna Miles will let you know all that and more. Check out:

- How records are made
- Where to purchase a turntable
- How to take care of both the machine and your vinyl records
- And more!

If you're a more advanced audiophile, you'll find plenty of information about hardware beyond the entry-level options, along with a backstage pass to tidbits and stories about artists and the industry that you've never heard before. It's the next best thing to an afternoon spent at the record store!

Pre order at SRCVinyl To Receive an AUTOGRAPHED COPY!: https://www.srcvinyl.com/the-beginner-s-guide-to-vinyl-how-to-build-maintain-and-experience-a-music-collection-in-analog.html?acc=c81e728d9d4c2f636f067f89cc14862c

Or at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-Vinyl-Experience-Collection/dp/1440598967/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1474914524&sr=8-1&keywords=jenna+miles+vinyl&_encoding=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=modernvinylco-20&linkId=2265d3ec92c2d8a7747c32132e7cc579

Let's be honest. Laugh and ridicule all you want...but I'll be supportive that something like this was definitely needed in today's generation of crybabies and n00bs getting into THE HOBBY!!! Sure...there's GOOGLE to research and all...but sometimes a concise book may be needed.

I am honestly curious to read through this and see what info it contains.

8 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Let's be honest. Laugh and ridicule all you want...but I'll be supportive that something like this was definitely needed in today's generation of crybabies and n00bs getting into THE HOBBY!!! Sure...there's GOOGLE to research and all...but sometimes a concise book may be needed.

I'd be interested too, but I wonder how much of a conflict of interest it will be - what percentage of the book will be about CD-sourced represses of 90s punk albums?

20 minutes ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Fully willing to have an open mind, but so help me, if I see the word Crosley in any context other than "Use a Crosley? I'd rather shove wasps up my arse?" (directly attributed to @allenh), this book will be the Hobby's apocalypse.

You rang? Where do I sign?

17 minutes ago, jhulud said:

In all seriousness this has the power to either be very helpful or or a huge hindrance so I like to read it before I pass comment, but yes very needed in today's world, yes you can use google to research but you still need a basic grounding as there is so much conflicting information and too be honest blatant bullshit and opinion written as fact on the subject.

I'm working on my own how-to-collect-vinyl book called "Step Off From the Ledge (They're Just Records): A Modern Guide on How to Collect Records Without Annoying Others and Embarrassing Your Future Self".

Chapter One: Don't Treat Records as a Surrogate for Your Death Anxiety or Deep Rooted Resentment Toward an Imperfect and Uncertain World

Edited by rds

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Blink twice if our evil overlords are forcing you to do anything against your will. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Not sure if anyone here has actually read this, but I was at a book store this morning and flipped through it. Nothing ground-breaking, and anyone here probably knows everything the book has to say. It covers everything it advertises, though because it discusses new turntables and such, it will be pretty out of date in a year or two. It's not tremendously well-written, and I noticed at least 2 or 3 errors/issues as I was navigating. Realistically though, I imagine the market for a book like this is pretty slim as few folks would readily admit to being a 'beginner' and also want to read through an entire book.

I did find this particularly amusing: 

IMG_9514.jpgimage sharing

IMG_9516.jpgimage sharing

7 minutes ago, Hagysaurus said:

I really hope there's a chapter explaining how to easily get a refund in a timely manner on an inexplicably cancelled item when you buy it from SRC.  Or just a footnote on how to get any kind of customer service response from your emails would be helpful.

Roughly 1/3 of the book was a choose-your-own-adventure about refunds.