Westworld (HBO Show)

YouTwo

51 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Yo @jhulud, @THE_James_Champ, @deadreckoning, @YouTwo, @nancy_raygun.  None of you have watched this season yet?  Only 2 episodes in and it’s been pretty crazy.

I've only watched the first episode so far.  Didn't get to watch this past week's yet.  I really liked the premier.  It was a lot more thrilling than last season.  

First episode was weirdly workman-like and in motion for a premiere and the final shot didn't really WOW me more than it made me think "Hmm. I guess that's what they'll be explaining this season." It was entertaining though and a nice calm/practical way to handle the insanity of the finale.

Second episode was kind of a bummer. Seeing hosts in the "real world" in flash backs was interesting but the whole sleazy, cut-throat wealthy stuff is not appealing for me. It was cool last season when William was our entry point into that element and bucked against it but sleazy William in sleazy elite business world is kind of a blue on blue nothing for me. And all the park stuff felt like they were showing the middle section without the set up or the pay offs.

Third episode was really fun. Glad the introduction to a new park was handled pretty well. It was more interesting to see Delores conflicted between executing her poetically over-described domination plan and taking care of her family. I think the more Bernard in this season, the better for me. He is hiding some stuff up his sleeve but he seems to be the grounding character that reflects a little bit of the viewer's POV/reaction.

Overall, I hope they do something cool with Ed Harris. The maze last year was a big macguffin which I think worked OK but it'd be nice to see him get a little bit of bitter-sweet satisfaction a la that moment when he gets shot at the party and smiles. Despite not feeling the 2nd episode so much, I'm pumped to see what happens throughout the season.

Edited by swb

26 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Anyone else wondering if Bernard uploaded that encrypted data into himself?  Would explain why he’s starting to act weird.

Possibly. But he was acting all twitchy and with the shakes before he got walked to see Dolores' father. So maybe, maybe not.

2 hours ago, Skacel said:

Really enjoying the second season so far.

One thing about last night's episode:

Hide contents

How long was Elsie missing for? I thought she would have looked more of a mess than she did. It was like she'd only been in that cave for a day or 2.

That’s exactly how long it was.  The whole show (in the present) has only really been going on for a couple (or few?) days.  It feels like it’s been going on for forever because of everything that goes on with the time jumps.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:39 PM, jhulud said:

They're really fuckin' me up now. Esp. after last episode. But it's hooking me in even deeper now. 

From what I've read in other forums, the creators have admitted that season 1 was a "prologue" with season 2 really being where the story begins.  And they expect it to take either 5 or 6 seasons to tell the full story.

I still haven't gotten around to watching the films, but I read through the plots and it seems like season 2 is following the same basic idea as Westworld (the movie).  Which probably leads to us being able to assume that somewhere around season 2 or 3 we'll transfer into the second film, Futureworld.  The concept of that film is that the creators of the robots in Westworld begin creating robot clones of real people in order to take over the world, or something.

Still no idea what William was doing in the beginning of season 1 to Dolores in that barn or why he killed Maeve and her daughter, especially since he doesn't seem to do much of anything that isn't linked to a "story".  My guess is we won't figure that out for a while.

1 minute ago, nancy_raygun said:

Still no idea what William was doing in the beginning of season 1 to Dolores in that barn or why he killed Maeve and her daughter, especially since he doesn't seem to do much of anything that isn't linked to a "story".  My guess is we won't figure that out for a while.

I believe they explained this last season. I don't remember exactly how they put it but he realized, in essence, that the trauma pushed them closer to having agency and making their own decisions, etc.

3 hours ago, mintplusplus said:

I believe they explained this last season. I don't remember exactly how they put it but he realized, in essence, that the trauma pushed them closer to having agency and making their own decisions, etc.

I know that was heavily implied, but I'm still skeptical of how involved William really is in wanting to "wake up" the park's robots.  Or how awake they really are.

Spoiler

My personal theory at this point in the season is that the robots aren't actually conscious, they are just giving the appearance of being so to cause a distraction.  The point of the distraction is that the Delos Company has been creating clones of high ranking officers/board members (whatever) in the company and they're going to replace the real people with robots that are remotely controlled.  The confusion at the party, no one knowing who is and isn't dead, is the perfect cover for changing out people with robots.

6 minutes ago, nancy_raygun said:

I know that was heavily implied, but I'm still skeptical of how involved William really is in wanting to "wake up" the park's robots.  Or how awake they really are.

Hide contents

My personal theory at this point in the season is that the robots aren't actually conscious, they are just giving the appearance of being so to cause a distraction.  The point of the distraction is that the Delos Company has been creating clones of high ranking officers/board members (whatever) in the company and they're going to replace the real people with robots that are remotely controlled.  The confusion at the party, no one knowing who is and isn't dead, is the perfect cover for changing out people with robots.

Could be right! We know William came up with the germ of that plan (of collecting human samples and using hosts to replace actual people, etc) and was working on it pretty recently but we don't know if he is behind the plot to export Abernathy and the park data or any further nefarious plots. That is also a bit of a retcon to his character, which, last season, was mainly a dude who wanted the park to have real life or death stakes, so he could feel something again. Either way, in the current version of his character, he seems to have changed goals abruptly after his wife died, so who knows where he will end up. Should be fun to see it play out.

Edited by mintplusplus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought the 3 episodes before the finale were fine to great. Everything else was really bad for me. The increasing amount of layers of abstraction from what was once an interesting metaphor have created a really bad, stupid Matrix sequels-esque literal/metaphorical-hybrid that makes sense in spurts but, as a whole, is just philosophical and character alphabet soup. I really hope they streamline things and focus on a strong story in season 3 and let the trick of multiple time lines take a back seat. /end negative opinion