PO now: cloud nothings "life without sound"

Oh wow.  I just preordered the deluxe green marble version of this along with a copy of Beach House's Devotion for $21.20 shipped.  Crazy good deal.  They were the same price before the 50% discount so it was basically buy 1 get one free.  You can get the Cloud Nothings by itself shipped for $11.58.  You guys better jump on this before the 50% off sale is over.

10 hours ago, BrainGilliams said:

Oh wow.  I just preordered the deluxe green marble version of this along with a copy of Beach House's Devotion for $21.20 shipped.  Crazy good deal.  They were the same price before the 50% discount so it was basically buy 1 get one free.  You can get the Cloud Nothings by itself shipped for $11.58.  You guys better jump on this before the 50% off sale is over.

Easy pickup for $12, thanks!

13 hours ago, BrainGilliams said:

Dammit!!!  The deluxe is sold out.

• 1 month later...

This isn't as bad as I thought it would be based off the singles, especially that very Weezer sounding song

The vocal strain that I found to really seperate this band is all but gone. The instrumentation has really stepped up a notch and much more variety, which is probably a good thing

Overall, after a listen its pretty solid

4 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

This isn't as bad as I thought it would be based off the singles, especially that very Weezer sounding song

The vocal strain that I found to really seperate this band is all but gone. The instrumentation has really stepped up a notch and much more variety, which is probably a good thing

Overall, after a listen its pretty solid

Why would you think it'd be bad based off the single?  Internal World wasn't anything groundbreaking on first listen, but Modern Act was a blast.  I agree that Dylan's vocals have matured and lost a lot of their grit found on AOM – if fans were listening to Cloud Nothings for that "strain" in his voice, they should definitely stick to AOM and H&NE.

But on first listen I'm in agreement with your verdict of "pretty solid"; fortunately that's the same way I felt about their last few albums on first listen, and they've revealed themselves to have insane amounts of replay and reveal a whole lot more after a few revisits.  I feel like LWS will be no different.

After a week with this album, more or less, I have to say that it's taken the signature "Cloud Nothings turn" that I suspected it may, following the lead of their last two albums which have truly shined and revealed more and more hooks with each revisit.  Not to sound pretentious, but I strongly feel as though this record is nowhere near as shallow or cursory as a lot of first impressions are making it out to be, and definitely not for anyone who may be hoping to casually "check it out" and move onto the next 2017 release without giving it a revisit or second thought.  The tracks that initially seemed "so-so" on first listen have managed to really click into place with the full context of the record, and I've had completely random lines and guitar lines from them in my head, all week.  There's also a handful of instrumental breaks throughout the record that burst with energy and would make for particularly wild moments in a live show.  Super happy with this one and quite eager to have pre-orders arrive.

11 minutes ago, Codyoster said:

I saw on instagram there are TWO distinctly different green marbled versions, one looks like a green/white smash, and the other is a regular marble. Does anybody know if the deluxe green at indie stores is different from the one available for pre order?

It's not.  The green-white swirl is the Euro variant and the green marble is the US variant.  Honestly really perplexed about the color choices for both – and wish they incorporated blue instead of green – but it's not the end of the world.  I'm still hopelessly hooked on this record.

I can't really get into this, beyond a couple tracks.  I'll give it some more time though, because I have loved everything they have done.  Also, I'm visiting my friend in Berkeley and Cloud Nothing happen to be playing San Francisco while I'm there, so I might as well familiarize myself with the new songs.

28 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It's not.  The green-white swirl is the Euro variant and the green marble is the US variant.  Honestly really perplexed about the color choices for both – and wish they incorporated blue instead of green – but it's not the end of the world.  I'm still hopelessly hooked on this record.

Cool thanks, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but I really liked the singles I heard. Im gonna probably go pick it up now

55 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

t hasn't been said but the mix on the US pressing is great and true to what I've gotten used to listening to the digital files. I'm sure everyone remembers how buried in the mix the guitars were on H&NE.

I was thinking that just now on my third listen, this sounds 100x better