Research Paper Questions about Vinyl Resurgence

Hello all,

I am a University student writing my Dissertation paper on  “I am the resurrection”: The Rebirth of Vinyl Records in Contemporary Popular Music Culture. I am looking for some answers to some questions from all on the forum who are interested in giving me some feedback and opinions. I don't need huge amounts of detail but a nice short discussion will be very much appreciated. I too am a huge vinyl enthusiast so I'm hoping we can create something special with this paper.

1. What do you think has caused/contributed to the vinyl resurgence and why?

2. What do vinyl records mean to you?

3. Do you prefer the visual or aural aspects of vinyl records?

4. What are the benefits of vinyl records over other formats of music?

Thanks for reading, would love some feedback.

Declan

University of Winchester, United Kingdom

botw-383.jpg?quality=100&strip=info&w=50

cSOqNN4.png

12277448_148866038806043_687448777_n.jpg

29B6479-1024x683.jpg

45 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I know it's a joke but that's called a sprocket, not a chain ring. And if it is in fact also called a chain ring, I've literally never heard that in nearly 30 years of being around bikes. 

Chainring can be more or less used interchangeably with sprocket, I'm sure they had distinct definitions at one point but I can't remember what it is. Source: I work in the industry.

5 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

Chainring can be more or less used interchangeably with sprocket, I'm sure they had distinct definitions at one point but I can't remember what it is. Source: I work in the industry.

Word. My homie owns Seattle BMX and I've been skating/riding since I was a little kid and never heard chain ring used haha. Out buddy who's a tattooer has a sprocket tattoo on his arm, I think it's a Fit Bike Co sprocket but I can't remember. I never knew sprocket tats were hip haha. 

Also

The vinyl resurgence can be traced back to the 2012 Record Store Day release of the Disturbed box set.

Webster's Dictionary defines "vinyl records" as "an exhaustingly expensive thing to collect that girls aren't actually all that interested in, as it turns out".

Tactile, actually. The feeling of rubbing the grooves against my balls is the best

It's the best way to support my favorite independent labels, like Enjoy the Toons and Newbury Comics.

3 hours ago, declanmr said:

Hello all,

I am a University student writing my Dissertation paper on  “I am the resurrection”: The Rebirth of Vinyl Records in Contemporary Popular Music Culture. I am looking for some answers to some questions from all on the forum who are interested in giving me some feedback and opinions. I don't need huge amounts of detail but a nice short discussion will be very much appreciated. I too am a huge vinyl enthusiast so I'm hoping we can create something special with this paper.

Thanks for reading, would love some feedback.

Declan

University of Winchester, United Kingdom

You'd probably be better off asking reddit.com/r/vinyl. We aren't exactly the most friendly bunch all of the time as I am sure you figured out. It's at least marginally less circlejerky over there.

3 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

That looks like Twist & Shout in Denver but can't confirm

37 minutes ago, andyrobbins said:

that is DEFINITELY TWIST & SHOUT HOLY CRAP!

35 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I'm 99% sure you're right.

(And if there's any record store large enough and designed in such a way where no one would notice something like that, it's the one.)

Road trip time!!

17 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

This thread again? How many people are writing research papers on vinyl these days?

Yeah really.  Exact same thread pops is yearly.  In addition, these are university level courses where your writing about people's opinions?  Doesn't seem all that deep, "higher education" type stuff where you're going to learn much.

My input? i just like the way records look in frames on walls... and a little bit how they feel against my balls, as someone else reported above.

If this is a serious thread - debatable - then there is little to no point in asking such massively open-ended questions. You're not going to get much in the way of useable answers and most people aren't going to want to sit and write you an essay response.

Good luck with it though, if you are indeed actually doing a dissertation relating to vinyl - again, debatable.

Most of these threads seem to come from international members. But somehow Americas education system is the one struggling. 

Im also disappointed that we never get any follow up or feedback. Can I one time get to read a finished dissertation on vinyl resurrection. 

53 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Im also disappointed that we never get any follow up or feedback. Can I one time get to read a finished dissertation on vinyl resurrection. 

This is the one thing that bothers me the most when approving these fuckin' n00b threads. They come in...post a damn survey bullshit query...and then never come back with any follow-up or even a thanks for being helped out.

Goddamn ingrates.