Research Paper Questions about Vinyl Resurgence

32 minutes ago, jhulud said:

This is the one thing that bothers me the most when approving these fuckin' n00b threads. They come in...post a damn survey bullshit query...and then never come back with any follow-up or even a thanks for being helped out.

Goddamn ingrates.

Probably because their use of our questions gets them a failing grade.

On 20/10/2016 at 2:30 PM, throughbeingcruel said:

Word. My homie owns Seattle BMX and I've been skating/riding since I was a little kid and never heard chain ring used haha. Out buddy who's a tattooer has a sprocket tattoo on his arm, I think it's a Fit Bike Co sprocket but I can't remember. I never knew sprocket tats were hip haha. 

Sprocket at the back and chain ring at the front as in attached to the chain set, that's how I've always referred to them although that might be road bike terminology that pre dates the hipster in which case it needs a more hipster name in that context

@Korgull Of Morgoth post pretty much nailed it so I don't think I need to reply to the OP's questions and where is that record shop in the last picture? I think I need to become a customer.

14 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Im also disappointed that we never get any follow up or feedback. Can I one time get to read a finished dissertation on vinyl resurrection. 

Yes this also, I've filled a few of these out and wouldn't mind seeing the results or at least the final opinion

13 hours ago, jhulud said:

This is the one thing that bothers me the most when approving these fuckin' n00b threads. They come in...post a damn survey bullshit query...and then never come back with any follow-up or even a thanks for being helped out.

Goddamn ingrates.

Don't approve them?

Please include the sustainability of the resurgence so we know when to stage our mass sell off. 

I wonder how people would answer similar questions across different collections. Baseball cards, for instance. Can't do shit with them, but it was something to do that even provided the possibility of profit/gains, somewhat substantiating the hobby.  (My poor Dad and his now worthless collection.  Nobody wanted them, Goodwill got em.  Gonna be us in 20 years?). Discogs is the new Beckett. 

http://forum.vinylmeplease.com/index.php?threads/dissertation-paper-research.3989/

Good God. 

When I buy a record I feel like I have bought something more than just the music that's pressed to it. I own this thing. I can take that sleeve or record or insert and turn it around in my hands, display it on a book shelf, take a picture and upload it to instagram. 

43 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

http://forum.vinylmeplease.com/index.php?threads/dissertation-paper-research.3989/

Good God. 

When I buy a record I feel like I have bought something more than just the music that's pressed to it. I own this thing. I can take that sleeve or record or insert and turn it around in my hands, display it on a book shelf, take a picture and upload it to instagram. 

Yeah, but that seems to be VMP's first research paper thread, no wonder they were happy to help.

I mean, the first response starts with " How fun. I'll see if I can help.. "

2. What do vinyl records mean to you?

It's a library. It's *my* library - one that most certainly will outlive me. It's a cultural collection that I curate, with additions (usually) for a specific reason beyond the obvious. It's for research (compare/contrast), it's history, it's biography of my favorite artists. 

DON-DRAPER-PUKES.gif

Edited by rooks

22 hours ago, antisyntax said:

who the fuck writes a dissertation on something they know zero about? ...and then relies on the Internet to teach it to them?

enjoy your F

I think he said paper, not a dissertation. Also, college professors will suck up anything that's written well these days.  During a final exam in a history class, I wrote about the German invasion of North Africa during WWII. My knowledge was completely based off of  CoD 2 and CoD: Finest Hour. I got an A and the professor made a point to email me that it was one of the better essays she had read during her finals. 

May god help the idiotic kids going through our college system. 

20 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

I think he said paper, not a dissertation. 

in the first sentence

I am a University student writing my Dissertation paper on  “I am the resurrection”: The Rebirth of Vinyl Records in Contemporary Popular Music Culture.

Edited by antisyntax

On 10/23/2016 at 2:17 PM, Shlebs said:

You're welcome for nothing for your incentive of nothing. Judging this post you'll need all the help you can get! Good luck!

:)

On 10/23/2016 at 5:19 PM, antisyntax said:

who the fuck writes a dissertation on something they know zero about? ...and then relies on the Internet to teach it to them?

enjoy your F

On 10/23/2016 at 5:59 PM, jhulud said:

TAY-15.gif

Come on guys, he did thank us.