PO Now: Caspian - Castles High, Marble Bright

37 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Yeah, it takes a while, but sometimes you do get transfer of the pvc on the vinyl if it touches it for too long. I'm trying to find a solution too, but I don't see any 8" inner sleeves anywhere.

I took a 10" poly outer sleeve and cut it down, put the vinyl in it, then put that in the pvc sleeve.  The presentation kind of sucks, but it works.

Edited by highfives

27 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Aren't those both the same material? What are you trying to prevent with that setup?

No, poly sleeves don't outgas like pvc sleeves do.

Ultimately it's trying to prevent the weird haze that ends up ruining vinyl stored in pvc sleeves.

Edited by highfives

1 hour ago, highfives said:

No, poly sleeves don't outgas like pvc sleeves do.

Ultimately it's trying to prevent the weird haze that ends up ruining vinyl stored in pvc sleeves.

Why though if they're the same material? Pvc = polyvinyl poly bag = polyvinyl. What's the science behind why one would outgas over the other? Not being condescending I'm just curious since you're so sure.

14 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Why though if they're the same material? Pvc = polyvinyl poly bag = polyvinyl. What's the science behind why one would outgas over the other? Not being condescending I'm just curious since you're so sure.

They aren't the same material though.  These sleeves are polyvinyl but most thin outer sleeves everyone use for regular LP storage are polypropylene.

If you haven't looked into it, there's a lot of discussion about the subject out there.

The thicker PVC outer sleeves (for picture discs and this record specifically) outgas and create a chemical reaction with the vinyl. 

Check out the threads for more info.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=43623

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/warning-to-all-record-collectors-outer-bag-inner-sleeve-concerns.387179/

8 hours ago, Shlebs said:

Haha I dunno, my pvc bag is only connected in two spots near the flap on each side because they threw it in a 12 inch mailer with no stability. That's both sides and the bottom completely ripped open. I knew what I was buying but a simple piece of tape would have prevented it. I'll just file a PayPal claim if they tell me to fuck off like they did to Gumbo.

Send an email to Kimberly Corkill, she's the one who responded to my initial email.   [email protected]

Paypal claim is a good idea.... I didn't think of that. 

EDIT:  Also, it should be noted that the vinyl does sound great.  My A side is silent, if a little quiet in the mastering.  Glad we talked about the PVC bag issue.  I had no idea.  Will remove promptly. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

You're seriously going to file a paypal claim over a PVC sleeve? We all know they're shit to begin with. Just store it in a polybag along with the PVC since it's the original packaging. PVC breaks in time regardless. Mine was shipped fine though. It was mailed in a 10" mailer, and the record was wrapped in foam so it didn't bounce around. Regardless, I stored it in different packaging.