Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody (Out 1/13/17)

Just now, Shlebs said:

The vinyl pressing sounds incredible too if you haven't picked it up yet. Their only record I just don't like is Mystics.

Couldn't agree more, the pressing is great. And yeah, Mystics has some cringe-worthy stuff IMO. One of my least favorite by them, if not the worst.

I like how well Mlody flows as an album. I was expecting to need to hurdle across some sonically offensive tracks but I legitimately really like them all.

9 hours ago, Shlebs said:

The vinyl pressing sounds incredible too if you haven't picked it up yet. Their only record I just don't like is Mystics.

You don't like Mystics? There are a few latter songs on the album I don't enjoy, but I love the first half of that album. 

On 2/19/2017 at 11:42 PM, lethalenforcer said:

Couldn't agree more, the pressing is great. And yeah, Mystics has some cringe-worthy stuff IMO. One of my least favorite by them, if not the worst.

I like how well Mlody flows as an album. I was expecting to need to hurdle across some sonically offensive tracks but I legitimately really like them all.

It was kind of bland the first run through but grows more and more each listen to the point where it's rivaling their best stuff imo. We A Famly is a great payoff too fuck the haters. The b-side on the Bowie cover 7" sounds like it was cut from the album frogs and all. Might interest you.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:25 AM, somethingvinyl said:

You don't like Mystics? There are a few latter songs on the album I don't enjoy, but I love the first half of that album. 

To me Mystics is the only album where they were making music to please rather than letting their creativity run free. With the success of Yoshimi they decided to try and settle into that sound which to me isn't something they've ever done or done since and it really showed. I enjoy their uncharted territory quite a bit but I get bored with sameness in music pretty easily. I'm going to spin it again later but I don't have high hopes haha.

15 hours ago, Shlebs said:

It was kind of bland the first run through but grows more and more each listen to the point where it's rivaling their best stuff imo. We A Famly is a great payoff too fuck the haters. The b-side on the Bowie cover 7" sounds like it was cut from the album frogs and all. Might interest you.

Agreed, it's up near their best for me. Just finally checked out that b-side... good stuff! Thanks for pointing out.

17 hours ago, Shlebs said:

To me Mystics is the only album where they were making music to please rather than letting their creativity run free. With the success of Yoshimi they decided to try and settle into that sound which to me isn't something they've ever done or done since and it really showed. I enjoy their uncharted territory quite a bit but I get bored with sameness in music pretty easily. I'm going to spin it again later but I don't have high hopes haha.

That makes sense. I wasn't listening to them a lot at the time Mystics came out. Looking back, I always thought the were sort of sugar-coating the political directions of their songs. Kind of like they were making more conventional music so people would pay attention to what Wayne was writing about. 

• 2 weeks later...