PO NOW: Old Gray - Slow Burn (LP2)

deer

13 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

I thought it was weird first listen but I enjoyed it more the second time. Actually kind of hyped now tbh lol. I hope spoken word drummer guy has some vocal parts on this album.

Same. Listened quite a few times now and really into it. Hard to get ultra hyped with only one track to go from, but it's a good one to start us off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Jlegg said:

Looks like Dog Knights Productions have started shipping out orders. They also posted a picture of the clear splatter variant on Instagram and it looks so good!

Awesome! It does look sh*t-hot.

EDIT: here's the Instagram pic for anyone not wanting to search it out...

Edited by SE7EN

Whoops, didn't see the post above somehow.

Well since I am not sharing the link, let me share my thoughts...

Spoiler

There was a certain skepticism that I felt once I hit play and realized the album clocked at just over 20 minutes.  Yet, something that many people might call short just left me absolutely transcended in time, staring at my computer screen for what seemed like an afternoon. It's the hectic, dysfunctional first half that plays out like a total stream of consciousness that  inhibits a certain madness that fits the lyrical content of the entire album. And then there's a calm--a beautifully haunting instrumental that leads into "like blood from a stone," which exists much like a climax. Now maybe it's my own personal past, but that spoken word entry ripped right through me. I became lost in my own head so much so that I hardly remember the last four songs. The entire second half of the album is an entire exhale from the hectic first half. A calm after a storm. A turn from pessimism to optimism. Hope.

I have knots in my stomach. My heart stings. This album was heavy. A lot for me to take in, and I can't quite explain why. But I'm pouring it out to an internet message board to bring me back down to earth.  Anyway, I don't think I can listen to this album again until I receive it in the mail. It's a total wind storm that just knocked me on my ass. But there's a message worth hearing in this album. One that runs a lot deeper than some indiscernible screams and fast-paced, muddy instrumentals. Don't overlook the themes of religion in this album either. It is an embodiment of what it means to be human, and should be looked at as such. Never did I think I would write that from an Old Gray album. Fuck, I gotta get back to work.

This album is ugly in the most beautiful way, and I could not recommend it enough. Please give it a listen.

Edited by The Saint

Gave in and listened to the stream because I need to finish up my end-of-year list... holy shiiiit. This is amazing. Giving me constant shivers and emotional swells. Easily going to end up in the top 10 albums of the year for me. Sucks to release so late, though, it's going to miss (and has missed) a bunch of people's lists.

Given how short it looked I had reservations coming into it, but wow does it blow me away. Incredible, I might buy the splatter to have two copies because it's just that good.

5 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Why would you go into an album not wanting to like it?

It's more like I really didn't feel like dropping the cash on a single-sided 12" (just make it a 10"!) and I honestly was not expecting this to be this good. Old Gray had been silent for a while so I thought when/if they came back they wouldn't be able to top what they did before. I was wrong on all counts.

Trophy Scars is [fortunately] nothing like Old Gray, based off my limited exposure to the Slow Burn stream.  Album sounds like Loma Prieta with a couple of points to catch your breath with a poem or lush instrumental passage.  I can dig it.  I think anyone who's into the grit and aggression on this release should absolutely check out Loma if they haven't done so yet.

Yeah, Trophy Scars are dope as fuck but not really similar to OG. Those dudes need to press Darts to the Sea and Hospital Music.

Listened through Slow Burn once and holy shit. It's so good. I just wish the fast songs were longer, but I get why they're short. Ugh, might have to pick it up.