PO SOON: JAPANDROIDS- Near To the Wild Heart of Life

59 minutes ago, curator said:

Grabbed the 7" in store today.  It's on black vinyl so you get an exclusive if you ordered from Anti.

Thanks for the info there!  I'm glad I cancelled through KRM.  I'd rather have a  little extra money over colored vinyl :) 

13 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Weird, Bullmoose just shipped me the 7" separately. Hopefully i'm not charged for shipping twice, since I expected them to ship at the same time.

They always ship stuff when it's available :)  I always order up to the free shipping, but I'm guessing they won't charge you twice.

1 hour ago, andysrobbins said:

it's refreshing to see that other people do this

I'm pretty uptight about trying to preserve the first listen of albums I'm anticipating.  Up until last year, I refused to listen to singles of any sort, but I've since lightened up on that.  I don't mind checking out one track if it's months in advance, but I hate the idea of overplaying a song in advance or hearing a third of the album out of context when it's right around the corner.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I'm pretty uptight about trying to preserve the first listen of albums I'm anticipating.  Up until last year, I refused to listen to singles of any sort, but I've since lightened up on that.  I don't mind checking out one track if it's months in advance, but I hate the idea of overplaying a song in advance or hearing a third of the album out of context when it's right around the corner.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I used to be like this and buy everything by artists I liked. For instance, this would have been ordered and listened to when it came out. 

I have been disappointed by a lot of late and buy too much and listen less and less so I am doing more pre screening of things

5 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

I used to be like this and buy everything by artists I liked. For instance, this would have been ordered and listened to when it came out. 

I have been disappointed by a lot of late and buy too much and listen less and less so I am doing more pre screening of things

Makes sense to me.  Knock on wood, but I've just been on a lucky streak going in blind.  Like 99% of the time, for the last 7-8 years of pre-ordering vinyl.  I'm sure that'd change and I'd find myself a lot more skeptical if I continually dove straight into new Refused records again and again, but for the most part those letdowns or "whack" singles are far and few.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened twice now and it's good, but I'm a little conflicted.  I knew it was going to be more adult-sounding than Celeb Rock based on things I'd read and it being almost 5 years later, but I didn't realize quite how much more adult-sounding it would be.  The title track was the only one that really punched me in the face and made me want to run through a wall like the old stuff did, and I've already been listening to that one for a month.   Still, the songs are really good and I like most of the chances they took.  I just need more time to digest it all.

Post-Nothing is probably my current favorite release, but Celebration Rock has some moments that really shine as well.  My only gripe with CR is that some parts of some songs feel a little too sterile, or as if they're trying to force an anthemic angle, and it comes off as a little forced.  Like Fire's Highway, especially.  Fortunately every song does something notable and worth revisiting, in my opinion, but outside of the "wow" moments I thought it was a very safe record.

Not that the new album is unsafe, necessarily, but after one listen I'm pretty happy with what I hear.  It's just as clean and polished as CR – and I do sort of miss the fuzz and mastering found on P-N, still – but even without a roster of balls-to-the-wall tracks, I feel like the songwriting is really strong.  Each song delivered at least one notably solid hook and I'm eager to hear it on vinyl, in FLAC, and on the road.  Reserving true judgement since it was just one stream through some generic earbuds, but I have to say I'm pretty content with what I heard.

Also, is anyone else into No Singles?  Maybe it's because I played the hell out of P-N and CR, but that collection of tracks is actually really damn solid in my books, and seems to get overlooked by a lot of fans.  I feel like some of their tightest songs can be found on that compilation.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Also, is anyone else into No Singles?  Maybe it's because I played the hell out of P-N and CR, but that collection of tracks is actually really damn solid in my books, and seems to get overlooked by a lot of fans.  I feel like some of their tightest songs can be found on that compilation.

No Singles is my favorite release from them.  I find myself liking each release less than the previous one.   I like them much more when they're on the fuzzy, noisy end of the spectrum.  The single for this album was a little too clean for my taste.