PO SOON: Childish Gambino - ...Awaken, My Love!

I've only given this cd one spin so far and the only stand out bad moment was California, otherwise I'm pretty into it. Would have liked some raps thrown in and its not an album I'd front $70 for but I'm glad I picked it up.

Edited by Stress On The Sky
grammar

8 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I've only given this cd one spin so far and the only stand out bad moment was California, otherwise I'm pretty into it. Would have liked some raps thrown in and its not an album I'd front $70 for but I'm glad I picked it up.

California sounds like a Ween song. 

I find it an interesting album, but I don't really enjoy it.  I'm glad it exists as I'm sure it will influence his future releases, but I won't be picking this up for more than $15-20.

I was really excited by the possibility of a blues rock/R&B gambino album, but I was not expecting the soul/funk.  I was also not expecting that there would not be a lick of rap in it.

2 minutes ago, daegor said:

I was really excited by the possibility of a blues rock/R&B gambino album, but I was not expecting the soul/funk.  I was also not expecting that there would not be a lick of rap in it.

I need some more time with it, but agree with everything you said. I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment but that could change.

Random, but I think I've found myself revisiting Kauai more than anything else he's ever done.

2 minutes ago, mrewest said:

Couldn't even get through one entire listen.  Sounds like an album full of partial ideas that go absolutely nowhere.

I definitely disagree with this, it seems very cohesive to me.  Definitely an exploration of the roots of soul/funk and how they influenced blues and R&B.

4 minutes ago, daegor said:

I definitely disagree with this, it seems very cohesive to me.  Definitely an exploration of the roots of soul/funk and how they influenced blues and R&B.

I dunno.  None of the songs sounded fleshed out to me.  I was initially drawn into Gambino pre-Camp because of how damn catchy his stuff was.  Now it's 100% the opposite.  Nothing here catches me at all.  I have zero interest in a 2nd listen.

so just to be clear, there are two camp(s) when it comes to this release.

1. listens to this and realizes it is boring and half cooked.

2. listens to this and realizes it is boring and half cooked, but wants so badly to like new Childish Gambino, ends up "liking" it.

why are there two camp(s)? Because the Internet!

15 minutes ago, mrewest said:

I dunno.  None of the songs sounded fleshed out to me.  I was initially drawn into Gambino pre-Camp because of how damn catchy his stuff was.  Now it's 100% the opposite.  Nothing here catches me at all.  I have zero interest in a 2nd listen.

That's the key bit, it is 100% opposite.  I think this might have actually been better received if he released it under a different name.

18 minutes ago, drivervr628 said:

I prefer this album to this other albums. Keep in mind I haven't listened to his other albums. I have however seen the cover art. 

Wait... what?  You prefer this album to his other albums, even though you've never even heard his other albums?  You have looked at the cover art for them though, so that's enough to make them not as good? I don't understand.

Are both these editions the same?

I'm thinking of ordering from the one with the UK price as shipping to Australia is cheaper than the first link.

https://awakenmylove.com/products/vinyl-inventory?variant=27911891208

https://store.universalmusic.com/childishgambino/*/*/VIRTUAL-REALITY-LIMITED-EDITION-VINYL/5DVG0000000

21 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Wait... what?  You prefer this album to his other albums, even though you've never even heard his other albums?  You have looked at the cover art for them though, so that's enough to make them not as good? I don't understand.

Yeah that was a joke. I wouldn't read to deep into it...

7 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

I need some more time with it, but agree with everything you said. I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment but that could change.

Random, but I think I've found myself revisiting Kauai more than anything else he's ever done.

Yeah, it just feels like a bunch of unfinished ideas that were also not mixed well to me (for the most part). Some of the voice effects and mixing of certain tracks completely ruined a song that could have been good. Saying that, I am not huge on doing much voice alterations whatsoever. I am sure I will like it a bit more with more listens but no amount will make it worth anywhere remotely close to that asking price but maybe I will become enough of a fan to grab a copy down the road if the price goes down A LOT. I would actually rather see him go straight r&b/soul if he wants to do anymore away from hip hop. I have seen him do a few covers where he killed it.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:03 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Anyone disappointed should check out this, maybe it'll serve as solace.

Really been enjoying this ^, thanks!

As far as Childish goes, I've listened to it multiple times through now and it's good, but just not on the level of his other stuff. There are definitely some songs I really love, but also some that I think are his worst songs ever. I agree with whoever said they wished he had left the vocals alone, I don't really get why he sounds like Dracula on a handful of these tracks. But yeah, like everyone else I'm a little disappointed. It's certainly not a bad album, but it's also not what I expected. I'm still listening to it, it's pretty good, but some tracks I skip every time and others I just lose interest it.

Check out the contents for the limited vinyl found on https://awakenmylove.com/products/vinyl-inventory

-Exclusive booklet
-2 180 gram 45 RPM LPs
-Virtual Reality headset
-Instructions to access exclusive virtual reality live performances from the PHAROS Experience.
-PHAROS VR companion app can be downloaded at http://pharos.earth/

I ended up ording this but it was from this link - https://store.universalmusic.com/childishgambino/*/*/VIRTUAL-REALITY-LIMITED-EDITION-VINYL/5DVG0000000

Though that one doesn't show the contents. I'm a bit worried because shipping was only like 5 pounds to Australia.

Just now, jazzilla said:

Check out the contents for the limited vinyl found on https://awakenmylove.com/products/vinyl-inventory

-Exclusive booklet
-2 180 gram 45 RPM LPs
-Virtual Reality headset
-Instructions to access exclusive virtual reality live performances from the PHAROS Experience.
-PHAROS VR companion app can be downloaded at http://pharos.earth/

Sounds about what I was expecting. Wish they had pictures. Still not worth the price, but whatever - I'll keep my PO.