Turntable and speakers advice needed please.

Good evening all.

My first post on these forums, I am hoping to get a bit of advice from those with experience on record player turntables and speakers. 

Basically it's my Dad's 70's birthday in a couple of weeks, and I want to buy him a record player. He has many old LP's stored down in the garage, but sadly none of them have been played for well over a decade. When there old record player packed up it was never replaced.

Which brings us to now. The research I have done has taught me that I will need to buy the turntable and speakers separately. I have found this..

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/audio-technica-at-lp60usb-stereo-turntable-10116429-pdt.html

I am convinced that this is the best for my budget. It mentions I will need "powered speakers". This I am having trouble finding.

Please can anyone point me in the direction of something they may feel more suitable, and also suitable speakers. My budget is no more than £150 for everything. I just want him something to play all his old records!

Many thanks.

That turntable is for converting vinyl to a digital format. Sounds like what you really want/need is a receiver, a turntable and speakers. I have only been buying vintage equipment for the last ten years so I can't help you with the newer stuff but if you're willing to go vintage you should look in the charity shops.  I don't know what it's like in the UK but I've bought some great Pioneer receivers for under 60 pounds.

Pretty much anything available new for that sort of money for a complete vinyl replay system will be utter rubbish so search locally on ebay or Gumtree or in the free ads for something used and use the ebay advanced search to see what things have actually sold for to make sure you're not paying over the odds for it.

An old 70's music centre for £20 or £50 will sound vastly better than anything you can buy for £150 new and a new stylus and belt for it will probably cost you no more than £20 or £30.

The only ones I would avoid would be Bang & Olufsen (B&O) purely becasue you can't buy a new stylus and a rebuilt one will be a minimum of £120 on it's own so it would need to have a new or very lightly used stylus in it and you would need evidence of that. That said if you can find one with a new stylus in then you will get a perfectly good thing.

The problem is that this stuff is fashionable now so you do get the try it on prices but with a bit of research stuff worth buying is still out there.

Where are you I might be able to point you in the right direction.