Upgrade speakers or stay put?

Hey guys,

I have lurked here for a long time but finally signed up as there's so much great advice and conversation here.

Before the end of the year, I am upgrading my setup. As of now I have an ATLP120 with the upgraded AT120e cartridge hooked straight in to audio engine a5+ speakers. 

I am upgrading to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB + ortofon blue cartridge + pro-ject phono box S preamp.

I was debating on upgrading my a5+ to the audioengine HD6 or possibly going to a different brand all together. Any opinions on this would be appreciated. Are the HD6 really worth upgrading? Is something like the Klipsch r-15pm a good option or is that pretty much a lateral move?

Any opinions on the setup as a whole are welcome too. I'd imagine it will be a significant upgrade from where I'm at now, yes?

Everything on the analog end will be quite a big step up, so if I were you I'd wait with the speakers. Both the HD6 and the Klipsch's would be more of a side-step than a worthwhile upgrade, neither those nor the ones you have now will bring the table/cart/preamp combo to their full potential. I suggest you enjoy the new stuff, save a bit, then upgrade the speakers to something that will be on par with the new gear you're getting. Expect around $800-$1000 (if buying new) for either powered speakers or passive speakers/amplifier combo that would really be on par with your new analog gear.

6 hours ago, slinch said:

Everything on the analog end will be quite a big step up, so if I were you I'd wait with the speakers. Both the HD6 and the Klipsch's would be more of a side-step than a worthwhile upgrade, neither those nor the ones you have now will bring the table/cart/preamp combo to their full potential. I suggest you enjoy the new stuff, save a bit, then upgrade the speakers to something that will be on par with the new gear you're getting. Expect around $800-$1000 (if buying new) for either powered speakers or passive speakers/amplifier combo that would really be on par with your new analog gear.

Had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks for the input. The HD6 are pretty pricey too so saving a few hundred more for a substantial upgrade sounds like the best plan.