MONO - Under the Pipal Tree 2xLP

The Vool

I don't know all the details, but yes, it's the case with all artists he has worked with. Tzadik didn't release anything on vinyl until a few years ago, and I think Zorn genuinely dislikes the format, dislikes licensing rights to other labels, and doesn't want to cater to trends. Temporary Residence tried multiple times ever since MONO signed to them. Zorn wouldn't budge. I don't know what has changed now. Maybe the band talked to him. Maybe he has gambling debts :P

6 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

I don't know all the details, but yes, it's the case with all artists he has worked with. Tzadik didn't release anything on vinyl until a few years ago, and I think Zorn genuinely dislikes the format, dislikes licensing rights to other labels, and doesn't want to cater to trends. Temporary Residence tried multiple times ever since MONO signed to them. Zorn wouldn't budge. I don't know what has changed now. Maybe the band talked to him. Maybe he has gambling debts :P

Indeed......  I suppose I could see not wanting to cater to trends and whatnot.  Some people hold ideologies very tightly like that, thinking that the vinyl thing is just a hot new trend for people to bandwagon on. 

I bet this sounds fucking explosive though. 

16 hours ago, voltagedrop said:

Ugh, patiently waiting for a North American tour to be announced.

Right?  They did that 3-night run back in the spring or summertime this year....  but a whole actual tour would be sick.  Of course that means I'd have to go to NYC but for the chance to see Requiem For Hell and Eli's Heartbeat live.... oh yeah. 

22 hours ago, voltagedrop said:

Ugh, patiently waiting for a North American tour to be announced.

They're opening like, three, of the dates that Sleep had announced in February.

Hopefully they'll announce some additional headlining dates too.

Edit: Maybe not? Just looked for the post I thought I saw. Only see things about The Melvins and Pinkish Black...

Edited by AsleepOnRocks

On 12/28/2016 at 4:10 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Right?  They did that 3-night run back in the spring or summertime this year....  but a whole actual tour would be sick.  Of course that means I'd have to go to NYC but for the chance to see Requiem For Hell and Eli's Heartbeat live.... oh yeah. 

On 12/28/2016 at 9:42 PM, AsleepOnRocks said:

They're opening like, three, of the dates that Sleep had announced in February.

Hopefully they'll announce some additional headlining dates too.

Edit: Maybe not? Just looked for the post I thought I saw. Only see things about The Melvins and Pinkish Black...

Here's a primer to check out if you haven't already: 

Edited by voltagedrop

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Great photo, @coreystevens88.  I'm normally not big on the way marbled-grey vinyl looks, but I think it's a much better match with the new album art than two shades of green would've been.  Hope it sounds killer, too.

I think it sounds pretty good overall.  Drums sound a little flat to me, but I also don't remember if that's how they've always sounded.

So I finally got mine!  I got the colored version, and I hope you guys don't have this issue by my Side B has a gnarly scratch over Op Beach for about a full minute or 2 at least (i haven't timed it). 

Kinda wish I went for the black vinyl and saved some money but these look great, and they sound pretty good too. 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So I finally got mine!  I got the colored version, and I hope you guys don't have this issue by my Side B has a gnarly scratch over Op Beach for about a full minute or 2 at least (i haven't timed it). 

Kinda wish I went for the black vinyl and saved some money but these look great, and they sound pretty good too. 

do you ever get any records that don't have a problem with them? honest question

1 hour ago, batman said:

do you ever get any records that don't have a problem with them? honest question

Sometimes!

I honestly don't know what the deal is.  Do you guys get records with scratches and just deal with them?  This makes a the "tick.......tick....... tick....." as it goes over the spot.  I'll get a picture eventually. 

20 minutes ago, ethereal said:

are there any indentifiers for the colored version in the wild? I saw a few copies at my local but kinda wanted to hold out to make sure I got a colored copy

I don't see anything that indicates color on the hype sticker.  I might be remembering incorrectly or it may have changed, but I'm pretty sure TR does color variant for web store and retail is usually black (with a few exceptions like the last EitS album).

22 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I don't see anything that indicates color on the hype sticker.  I might be remembering incorrectly or it may have changed, but I'm pretty sure TR does color variant for web store and retail is usually black (with a few exceptions like the last EitS album).

I bought the colored version of requiem for hell in a record store but the only identifier I had was they marked up one of the copies $1 so I assumed that was the color copy and bought it , which it was.

22 minutes ago, ethereal said:

I bought the colored version of requiem for hell in a record store but the only identifier I had was they marked up one of the copies $1 so I assumed that was the color copy and bought it , which it was.

Ah, interesting!  I'm almost completely certain they used to do mail order only for the variants, looks like that changed at some point.

22 hours ago, ethereal said:

are there any indentifiers for the colored version in the wild? I saw a few copies at my local but kinda wanted to hold out to make sure I got a colored copy

I'm not sure but many companies do not delineate. Last I checked on TR these were still available… if you want to ensure you get a color variant, probably best to buy directly from them

On 2/5/2017 at 8:13 PM, ethereal said:

They're super responsive on Facebook too.... wouldn't hurt to shoot them a message and ask!  But yeah, you can still just get it from the webstore.