PO: Grails - Chalice Hymnal

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/products/trr279

http://www.stereogum.com/1914138/grails-chalice-hymnal/premiere/

LIMITED EDITION COLORED VINYL BUNDLE INCLUDES EXCLUSIVE BONUS COLORED VINYL 7" PLUS CUSTOM GRAILS GUITAR PICK SET (EDITION OF 1,000)

Rather than pick up where they left off, Grails take the sky-high riff-based heaviness of their earlier albums and distill it into a nuanced, widescreen opus. The perennial influences of mid-20th century Western film scores, obscure library music, and psychedelic krautrock are indelibly imprinted, but Chalice Hymnal exudes an eerie patience in unfurling the many layers of its subtle details. Produced by the band over the past five years, Chalice Hymnal bears some of the European psych and experimental hip-hop production techniques of founding members Alex Hall and Emil Amos' other group, Lilacs & Champagne. Amos' meditative metal band, Om, and longtime singer-songwriter project, Holy Sons, also naturally find their way into the Chalice cauldron. Rounding out their line-up, cofounder Zak Riles (also of experimental kraut-psych trio, Watter) layers synths and programming into an electronic-prog hybrid that pushes Grails further into the deep end, displaying a profound resonance, both musically and emotionally. No one else sounds like Grails, and on Chalice Hymnal they sound more like themselves than ever before.

VINYL FORMATS INCLUDE MP3 DOWNLOAD COUPON INSIDE PACKAGE

TRACK LISTING
1. Chalice Hymnal
2. Pelham
3. Empty Chamber
4. New Prague
5. Deeper Politics
6. Tough Guy
7. Rebecca
8. Deep Snow II
9. The Moth & The Flame
10. Thorns II
11. After The Funeral

Edited by faithnolife
typo

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Don't really need the 7" or guitar picks, but I can't say no to that variant.  I know opinions were split on their last album but I still quite enjoy it, and look forward to expanding my Grails catalog in February.  Hopefully the variant resembles the latest Mono TRL colorway.

Mostly the same.  I want the 7", but the guitar picks aren't needed.  I wish there was no guitar pick bundle.  Stoked for new Grails none the less!

On 5.12.2016 at 7:06 PM, whoa said:

Can't wait for this, also 20% discount if you use the code: TRL20 (I think it's one time use per customer)

Thanks a ton for this! Even with the UK shipping, the price for the double LP is so high it still rounds out at 45$ shipped. Would've been difficult to justify without the code. Then again, it's Grails.

$16.50 for shipping is not that bad. Usually it's more like around 25$ for a double. Could do without the 7" and guitar pick though.

Very stoked about the announcement, really dug the expanded Black Tar Prophecies.

Edited by JoshuaNilk

3 hours ago, freedumb said:

Deep Politics had a preview video before it was released. At the beginning of the video, they played a 1970's instrumental which features a horn maestro dude. Anyone know what I'm talking about?... the artist's name and song? 

? is this it?

Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good

18 hours ago, freedumb said:

You. Fucking. Rule.  

This was driving me crazy so thank you!!!

One benefit of being old as dirt. I played sax in the school jazz band late 70's early 80's and all the brass guys were playing this and anything  by Maynard Ferguson. You're welcome :)

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, whoa said:

Those guitar picks are vital and I'm looking forward to accidentally losing them. 

I'll probably throw them in the sleeve of my record unless they come in a case or something.   Real inessential for me.  They're neat, but I still wish they were an add on.  I did use the TRL20 in a pretty big order (can't remember if it was w/ this or something else), so I guess I still come out ahead overall.  Pretty stoked for this to come out.  I sometimes forget how much I like Grails.  Would love to see that first Black Tar Phophecies collection get a reissue someday.  Looks like the damn thing keeps getting more expensive on the second hand market.

8 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I sometimes forget how much I like Grails.  Would love to see that first Black Tar Phophecies collection get a reissue someday.  Looks like the damn thing keeps getting more expensive on the second hand market.

Same for me. I'm missing BTP 1-3 and would love a reissue.