PO SOON: The Jesus And Mary Chain - Damage And Joy

2 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

Stupid question but what is the allure of the test pressing? Higher quality pressing? Limited availability? I'm asking out of ignorance.

Before any record goes into mass production the pressing plant runs off a few copies normally on plain old black vinyl to send to the label and band to approve. These are "test presses" or "white label" copies not generally intended for commercial sale and normally incredibly limited. Some releases only have 5 tests made before they are approved for mass production these guys will no doubt have a much higher quantity but still this will undoubtedly prove to be the rarest form of the record even though it will be essentially the same.

Most test presses normally don't include artwork as well which for this release is a real bonus.

1 minute ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Before any record goes into mass production the pressing plant runs off a few copies normally on plain old black vinyl to send to the label and band to approve. These are "test presses" or "white label" copies not generally intended for commercial sale and normally incredibly limited. Some releases only have 5 tests made before they are approved for mass production these guys will no doubt have a much higher quantity but still this will undoubtedly prove to be the rarest form of the record even though it will be essentially the same.

Most test presses normally don't include artwork as well which for this release is a real bonus.

Makes sense. I knew what they were for but wasn't sure what the allure was. Thanks :)

Simple answer is because they are more rare. I generally only like test pressings when there are 10 or less and special artwork is a big plus. Other than that, they are boring with no printed labels and no artwork. My guess for this record is that there are 50+ "test pressings".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Notice today is the vinyl shipped. I've ordered from a few countries before but not the UK so I'm going to guess 10-14 business days until I can punish the neighbors with this. My Autechre bundle is also enroute from the UK so we shall see how this plays out.

Pretty psyched though. Reviews that aren't Bitchfork are very positive (of course they hate music yet still review it, which is ironic).

Edited by Monastic_mike

• 4 weeks later...