Austin, TX - Record store recommendations?

Can you be a little more specific? The river cuts through a decent part of town.

End of an Ear and Waterloo have the best selections. Waterloo is at Lamar and 6th. End of an Ear just opened a new spot just off Ben White, but I haven't been to the new location  yet. I hear it's awesome though. Waterloo is a bit overpriced, but solid selection.

Edited by hickey

5 minutes ago, hickey said:

Can you be a little more specific? The river cuts through a decent part of town.

End of an Ear and Waterloo have the best selections. Waterloo is at Lamar and 6th. End of an Ear just opened a new spot just off Ben White, but I haven't been to the new location  yet. I hear it's awesome though. Waterloo is a bit overpriced, but solid selection.

That's my bad. I only had the tiny Google maps embed on the hotel website to go off of.  I'll be staying near the corner of Cesar Chavez and Congress, right before 1st street. Thanks to you guys for the recommendations. 

Has anyone browsed the shops in Austin, as well as Hollywood/LA? Comparable? IMO, shops in Los Angeles are a bit over-priced and picked through since it's a huge city. I'd imagine it'd be somewhat similar since Austin seems hip/current. Is Waterloo similar to Amoeba?

Edited by richardsurf

6 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

That's my bad. I only had the tiny Google maps embed on the hotel website to go off of.  I'll be staying near the corner of Cesar Chavez and Congress, right before 1st street. Thanks to you guys for the recommendations. 

Has anyone browsed the shops in Austin, as well as Hollywood/LA? Comparable? IMO, shops in Los Angeles are a bit over-priced and picked through since it's a huge city. I'd imagine it'd be somewhat similar since Austin seems hip/current. Is Waterloo similar to Amoeba?

I've only been to the Amoeba in SF which Waterloo is similar to - Waterloo is a bit smaller though.

Waterloo has more of a mainstream vibe to it while End of An Ear has a more local record store vibe.

How long are you here for? If you want any food recommendations let me know

Edited by sethdavid

2 minutes ago, sethdavid said:

I've only been to the Amoeba in SF which Waterloo is similar to - Waterloo is a bit smaller though.

Waterloo has more of a mainstream vibe to it while End of An Ear has a more local record store vibe.

How long are you here for? If you want any food recommendations let me know

I'm there for 3 days but I only get 1 free afternoon and evening to roam and explore. I would love a dinner recommendation for a Saturday night. Thanks for the info and offer.

1 minute ago, richardsurf said:

I'm there for 3 days but I only get 1 free afternoon and evening to roam and explore. I would love a dinner recommendation for a Saturday night. Thanks for the info and offer.

My three favorite restaurants in Austin are The Hightower, Winebelly, and Barlata. Hopefully one of those piques your interest!

18 minutes ago, alllexm said:

Yeah end of an ear is my favorite and their new location is awesome. As for food... Trudys stuffed avocado or mighty cone !!

In the picnic food trailer park on Barton Springs, Trudys has a food truck now, so you could get mini stuffed avocados and some Mighty Cone.  Hey You Gonna Eat or What is great too.

Everytime I have been to waterloo, its all new stuff that you can get anywhere. As is that hipster restaurant next door to it that seems to have people waiting forever to eat nothing special

I judge a record store on their used stacks. I have never been disappointed with End of an Ear. Breakway was decent the one time I went there

For cheap Tex-Mex, I'm all Polvo's.

I'm also Torchy's over TacoDeli. However, Maria's has the best breakfast tacos, in my opinion.

Whoever mentioned Mighty Cone: YES! Mighty Cone is awesome.

Waterloo is much smaller than Amoeba in Hollywood, and not as much used stuff. It depends on what kind of shopping you're looking to do, but Waterloo is good for new, End of an Ear is better for used. Encore is a great, small shop; decent selection with lots of metal. I've never been to Breakaway. 

3 minutes ago, hickey said:

I've only been there once and unfortunately it was really bad :( Got a shrimp burrito and they used canned tiny shrimp in it. Bleck. Also they give you chips before your meal and then say "the salsa is inside, it's self serve" and then you go inside and there's a sign next to it that says "Salsa $2.99"
WHO DOES THAT?! Hahaha.

7 minutes ago, hickey said:

I'm also Torchy's over TacoDeli. However, Maria's has the best breakfast tacos, in my opinion.

Whoever mentioned Mighty Cone: YES! Mighty Cone is awesome.

Waterloo is much smaller than Amoeba in Hollywood, and not as much used stuff. It depends on what kind of shopping you're looking to do, but Waterloo is good for new, End of an Ear is better for used. Encore is a great, small shop; decent selection with lots of metal. I've never been to Breakaway. 

Have you tried Kesos?

Just now, texan4life said:

Have you tried Kesos?

Drove by it a bunch of times, but never tried it. Worth it?

2 minutes ago, sethdavid said:

I've only been there once and unfortunately it was really bad :( Got a shrimp burrito and they used canned tiny shrimp in it. Bleck. Also they give you chips before your meal and then say "the salsa is inside, it's self serve" and then you go inside and there's a sign next to it that says "Salsa $2.99"
WHO DOES THAT?! Hahaha.

That's a bummer. My wife HATES Polvo's. I must have an affinity for it because it was the first place we got Tex-Mex when we moved here. You get a ton of food for short money.

Friends of Sound Records is located on south congress and tucked away in a cool back alley. Super local store since many people in Austin don't even know it's there. Waterloo is always great but if you want a unique place that not everyone checks out, Friends of Sound Records is the place to go. They also have a special bin you can ask for that will have rare bootleg vinyl. I've gotten lucky there a few times with rare items you would have a hard time finding anywhere else!