ISIS - Wavering Radiant 2x12” Now Available For Pre-Order! (And Everything Else Discussion)

9 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Oh, believe me... I want it.  It's more that I'm in school, and only work part-time, and have a lot of concerts and other things coming up that I need to save money for...  i'm looking ahead to April 1 when my car insurance comes due, so that's $340 or something that will come out of my bank account.  I teach some after-school classes and all the schools are off this week, so I have essentially no income this week.  I don't get paid when schools are closed.  So, shitty timing.  I know it was only $30 and I probably could have sold it for cost or more, but....

Yet you'll buy an Au Revoir album that is probably mediocre and way overpriced...because the variant is 'sick' looking.

4 hours ago, JRHews said:

Yet you'll buy an Au Revoir album that is probably mediocre and way overpriced...because the variant is 'sick' looking.

I haven't bought anything, but either way I don't know why you have to be a dick and make fun of me about something you think I'm doing?  I'm sorry my personal choices don't jive with what you think is correct behavior, man.  Because let's be honest, you're trying to be condescending here...and that would work a lot better if you knew the album you were mocking me for ;) 

Edited by Gumbo72203

4 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I haven't bought anything, but either way I don't know why you have to be a dick and make fun of me about something you think I'm doing?  I'm sorry my personal choices don't jive with what you think is correct behavior, man.  Because let's be honest, you're trying to be condescending here...and that would work a lot better if you knew the album you were mocking me for ;) 

All I'm saying is you're trying to justify NOT buying this album is the most nonsensical way I can think of, while at the same time defending the other so ardently in nearly the opposite manner. Your rationale is really scary to watch  sometimes. Ready to shell 40+ at the drop of a hat because of variants on a 1lp but complaining about tight money and wanting to be responsible.

For your own sake and best interest, hold onto your money right now, don't get either. If you miss the opportunity on an album it's not the end of days. Even if the variant is pretty dope honestly, and you dig the music. That happens more than you think. Would that justify your mini-money-rant you made earlier when for this one, your saying responsibility is your key concern? 

Condescending tones will happen when I chime in from time to time after watching in agony for so long.

1 minute ago, JRHews said:

All I'm saying is you're trying to justify NOT buying this album is the most nonsensical way I can think of, while at the same time defending the other so ardently in nearly the opposite manner. Your rationale is really scary to watch  sometimes. Ready to shell 40+ at the drop of a hat because of variants on a 1lp but complaining about tight money and wanting to be responsible.

For your own sake and best interest, hold onto your money right now, don't get either. If you miss the opportunity on an album it's not the end of days. Even if the variant is pretty dope honestly, and you dig the music. That happens more than you think. Would that justify your mini-money-rant you made earlier when for this one, your saying responsibility is your key concern? 

Condescending tones will happen when I chime in from time to time after watching in agony for so long.

I think you guys mistake my tone an awful lot when I post....   I wouldn't call my explanation for holding off on this album a rant at all!  Just my decision-making process.  I'm also quite confused at your thinking I'm ardently defending a purchase of the Au Revoir stuff... I haven't bought those, and won't be for a while!  Thankfully the dude's who run the label are nice enough to hold onto copies for me until I get my tax return.  Being a broke college student is annoying sometimes, and I have buyer's remorse over the Wavering Radiant repress so I was like "You know what, I have other shit I need to be thinking of... I don't want to regret picking this up, so even though it's only $30, I'm gonna pass".  As hard as that was!  But the Au Revoir stuff is fucking great, and if you like like music and vinyl-as-art... then you should pick them up because they won't disappoint.  Those guys put a ton into that label, and the products are always outstanding. 

But all I'm saying also is.... be nicer.  The world has too much vitriol and animosity in it already.  I personally don't understand mocking or ripping into people on the internet, because that doesn't make me feel good; to me, it's not a nice thing to do, so I don't do it.  Unless you're coming from a place of presumed-closeness, where you can bust on people like you would a good friend.  I just don't enjoy making other people feel bad, or putting them under the screw so-to-speak. I had to do that for the guy who sent me the wrong Envy record and didn't want to settle for what it really is worth, and it was agonizing for me to have to be stern and hold my position with him, becuase I over-empathize with the other party, putting myself in their shoes and imagining how that feels.  I guess I don't pay attention to other people's behavior/care about their posting habits enough to ever let it sink in or have it become a big deal haha.  I don't know, I feel like an outsider when you guys get all worked up over things on here, because i really just don't understand.  Just scroll past it? 

In any event, speaking of Isis.... I just discovered this.  Celestial with guest vocals during the jam.  Pretty neat! 

6 minutes ago, ethereal said:

*heavy sigh*

just do you dude

nobody cares for the super detailed/personal posts regarding why you did something or feel a certain way.

that is what professional help is for.

It was brought up, so I explained!  It's not that big of a deal man.  Watch the video I posted!

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Unless you're coming from a place of presumed-closeness, where you can bust on people like you would a good friend.

I'm sure a few people know me well enough now to vouch that I'm not a total dick, so there was really no ill-intent in my message even if it came across that way.

Edited by JRHews

JRHews is a very civil dude with remarkably level-headed posts.  I didn't want to bring up that Au Revoir LP because I didn't know if Gumbo had actually purchased it yet, and also because I was iffy about it sparking the whole "fuck u m8, u really gonna tell me how to spend my $?" garbage fire that often smoulders up in numerous threads.  But as much as I may agree with Hews' post and questioning of the rationality behind $40+ for a single LP of Gumbo Music™ vs. $30 for a double LP of a live album by Isis, the main ridicule comes from the vibe that's smothered with Gumbo's prior post, I think.  It's fine that he's on a budget, and no one is going to legitimately lose sleep over what he chooses to spend money on.  But in an Isis thread where people are hyped to hear and own the next installment of an Isis live release, it seems silly to dilute the general buzz by posting something akin to "eh... it seems cool but the last Isis record I ordered didn't sound good on my chintzy setup, and I really need to hear more than just a teaser before I can get hyped enough to drop $30 on this thing, whatever".  No one is faulting Gumbo for having that opinion, but it just feels counter-productive to the momentum of the thread.  That's where I find a snag, anyway.

But like bortx said – some thicker skin wouldn't hurt the guy, either, when interacting with the world wide web.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

But in an Isis thread where people are hyped to hear and own the next installment of an Isis live release, it seems silly to dilute the general buzz by posting something akin to "eh... it seems cool but the last Isis record I ordered didn't sound good on my chintzy setup, and I really need to hear more than just a teaser before I can get hyped enough to drop $30 on this thing, whatever".  No one is faulting Gumbo for having that opinion, but it just feels counter-productive to the momentum of the thread.  That's where I find a snag, anyway.

But like bortx said – some thicker skin wouldn't hurt the guy, either, when interacting with the world wide web.

Interesting position.... I wouldn't have seen it that way at all.  I really want to hear this album, but for right now I just can't swing it!  lol it's really not that big of a deal!  Also, get your facts right ;)  it was just a noisy pressing!  Other people reported similar findings.  "Threshold of Transformation" is helped the most by the remaster though IMO, that was a really cool experience hearing that track with all of the new sounds making their way to the forefront. 

As to your last point, it goes both ways man.  If it were a one-off thing, but you guys ridicule me left and right sooo I think it's fair to remind people that the way we treat others matters. 

Check out that Celestial though. 

From Robo:

There was a slight over run on the band variant color of Wavering Radiant. Just got the go ahead to sell these puppies so get at em!

16649495_10154356271146659_1539277350303

https://www.roboticempire.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=wavering+radiant

An overrun????@?!?!?!?!?!?!:!

So now there's more of that variant than initially reported???!@L2e4

They might as well come over and take a scalpel to the grooves of my copy and then set it on fire!

It was SUPPOSED TO BE LIMITED>!>!>!>!!!!!!!

FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!

....that felt good...

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

An overrun????@?!?!?!?!?!?!:!

So now there's more of that variant than initially reported???!@L2e4

They might as well come over and take a scalpel to the grooves of my copy and then set it on fire!

It was SUPPOSED TO BE LIMITED>!>!>!>!!!!!!!

FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!

....that felt good...

Reaching a little far m8.  I totally understand the pros of black vinyl and why you're a fan, but this post just seems like a hyperbolic jab at anyone who enjoys variants or limited shit, which I also see no problem with.  I don't think I've seen a legitimate "aww, man, so my record isn't as limited?" reply to news of an overrun in... years.  Maybe I've just been fortunate enough to avoid those threads, though, if that's still a thing.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Reaching a little far m8.  I totally understand the pros of black vinyl and why you're a fan, but this post just seems like a hyperbolic jab at anyone who enjoys variants or limited shit, which I also see no problem with.  I don't think I've seen a legitimate "aww, man, so my record isn't as limited?" reply to news of an overrun in... years.  Maybe I've just been fortunate enough to avoid those threads, though, if that's still a thing.

Definitely a bit different, but lots of people complained about the Anberlin box set getting repressed.

12 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Definitely seen that complaint in a few threads and I've only been here a year or so but I read threads for releases I'm not even interested in so I see a lot of stuff. To me it reads like @mcpherson123 is having a jab at the people who normally make that complaint by trotting out the usual cliche copypasta those people do. Hence the break from good punctuation which he normally has locked in.

Glad more people are getting a shot at the band colour as it's bloody gorgeous and to me it sounds fine in spite of the widespread disdain for it (although I'm no audiophile).

Yeah, McPherson's posts are definitely on point and articulate; I get that it's all exaggeration and hyperbole, like I said.  I've just never seen the "real" counterparts of what he's ridiculing.  Like yesterday in that ATDI thread; there was an hour of confusion where it looked like Rise had replenished the "limited to 500" variant, and then removed the rarity from the description.  Under the illusion that the /500 wasn't out of 500 at all, a few people commented something akin to "lol, Rise records... how typical", and that was that.  I didn't see mention of crocodile tears or threats to cancel orders, or anything that would suggest the new boost in quantity would render their record inferior.  I don't know, it just seems like a far reach for a parody.  Maybe I should browse the Anberlin thread or something for context, though that's something I really have no desire to do.  If someone is legitimately sweating their /200 variant actually being /250 or /400, or scoffs at a "one time only" boxset becoming available again, they can rightfully fuck off and give up on the world of vinyl while they're at it.

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If someone is legitimately sweating their /200 variant actually being /250 or /400, or scoffs at a "one time only" boxset becoming available again, they can rightfully fuck off and give up on the world of vinyl while they're at it.

I think that's how most of us feel me included, sadly there are still members here who get on their high horse and whinge about changing pressing numbers which fundamentally highlights a lack of understanding of the whole manufacturing process on their part. It happened in the Numero Group White Zombie box set thread too if memory serves as well as a few others. I'd agree its not worth delving deeper to see these disputes because they pan out exactly as you would imagine with most people siding against the aggrieved party.

End of the day more records for the people who want them is a winner for everyone unless your whole love for the medium of vinyl is based on scarcity and what your resale portfolio looks like.

And to add onto that: I'm not going to deny that it feels cool to own something limited.  I've shelled out good money for rare variants over the years, so I get the appeal.  But throwing a tantrum (or canceling your order) because something isn't as hard-to-obtain as you initially thought it just ridiculous.  That's channeling some elementary playground behavior, where you're not content with your shiny new LED-bottom shoes because other kids start to wear them.

The biggest gripe I have with fluctuating scarcity is that I have to go back into my record logs and tweak the quantity, or revise a Discogs submission.  That's it.  If you're all about that flipping life, I'm sure it's a bigger deal.  But if you're buying what you believe is good music that you plan on enjoying and holding onto, why wouldn't you want others to have the same opportunity?  Putting exclusiveness on a pedestal above everything else is just juvenile – I think that's really what I'm trying to say here.

Couldn't agree more. I've snagged some rare bits in my time and don't go in for all the archiving and database management a lot of people here do so a change in numbers has no impact on my life whatsoever. I buy my stuff to play it, if I can grab a rare piece or something pretty for the same money sure I'll tack that on as a bonus  but fuck competing with people over who has the most exclusive thing. Their just things, you didn't create it, you have no real claim to pride just because you fired off a paypal transaction before some other person.

Ah yes. There was definitely a big hullabaloo over the WZ box set and the overrun of the most limited color.  It was funny to watch. 

I'm glad for the overrun on this one ISIS. Forgot to snag it from the MerchTable when it was up. So this is perfect for me now. 

1 minute ago, jhulud said:

Ah yes. There was definitely a big hullabaloo over the WZ box set and the overrun of the most limited color.  It was funny to watch. 

I'm glad for the overrun on this one ISIS. Forgot to snag it from the MerchTable when it was up. So this is perfect for me now. 

More music in the hands of people who appreciate it gives me the warm fuzzy.

My comment was a composite hyperbole of people losing it over label's magically doubling the limitation of a specific variant after a big sell out and represses of rare variants flat out. I don't necessarily think anyone would have that big of a reaction from a simple overrun, but I thought of it and went with and it was definitely partially inspired by recent threads such as the ATDI and Anberlin box and pretty much everything I've seen about people bitching about any change in production numbers because I think its ridiculous to give half a shit about how many are available unless you're waiting for your check to clear so you can just purchase ANY copy of the record and have it to enjoy the music.

At this point, its kind of all the same to me.  I know that's not a popular opinion but its how I feel. And it kind of drives me nuts to see every thread focus so much on the numbers and not on the music or the pressing quality. Every body has their own reason for buying records but I felt compelled to poke fun at the Limitation Gurus.