ISIS - Wavering Radiant 2x12” Now Available For Pre-Order! (And Everything Else Discussion)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 10:19 AM, ethereal said:

I wouldn't doubt the other variants turning out better than the yellow just to spite everyone for swooning over the only mockup that was shown ;) 

just got this in and I have to say the yellow splatter is very meh

now let's see what the others look like...

1 hour ago, ethereal said:

now let's see what the others look like...

Really?  Like Gilliams said, I think it looks stellar.  Could be eating my words if the other variants do something crazy, but I don't see them being a better fit.

I mean, I love yellow and splatter designs but was just a bit underwhelmed when I saw the final product. really no complaints though, the final product is awesome and I'm stoked to finally own this. just curious to see what the others look like at this point 

Edited by ethereal

I know this is going to sound super picky / stupid / whatever, but I love the splatter designs that look "fragmented" – like there are little tiny slivers and splinters scattered throughout and on the edges.  Been seeing a lot of mediocre splatter variants lately; I don't know how to describe them, but it's almost like the color is "smeared" from the center, outwards, and it ends up looking faded and sort of cheap.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

This looks like the former based off photos I've seen, which is rad.  And before anyone pounces on me for "caring" or discussing a variant that much, I'd just like to remind them of what board we're all posting on.

I really didn't need an additional copy of this but I'm still excited for it to show up and eventually sit down with it to hear the differences in the remaster.  I thought most of the original variants sounded great so I'm expecting good things.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I know this is going to sound super picky / stupid / whatever, but I love the splatter designs that look "fragmented" – like there are little tiny slivers and splinters scattered throughout and on the edges.  Been seeing a lot of mediocre splatter variants lately; I don't know how to describe them, but it's almost like the color is "smeared" from the center, outwards, and it ends up looking faded and sort of cheap.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

This looks like the former based off photos I've seen, which is rad.  And before anyone pounces on me for "caring" or discussing a variant that much, I'd just like to remind them of what board we're all posting on.

I really didn't need an additional copy of this but I'm still excited for it to show up and eventually sit down with it to hear the differences in the remaster.  I thought most of the original variants sounded great so I'm expecting good things.

So..... could you maybe post some visuals of what you mean?  I'm not sure I get what you're saying haha.  There's some splatters that look almost like what I call "pastel"...  where it's more streaking out from the center, and usually on solid-color bases.  The new Pray For Sound album kind of looks like that.... where it looks like a marker was just streaked out from the center. 

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

where it looks like a marker was just streaked out from the center. 

This makes me think you know exactly what I'm referring to.  The more I think about it, the more that does seem to occur on splatters that originate from the center.  I've seen it in clear variations as well, though, and not just the solid color opaques.  That does seem to be where it's more prominent though.

12 hours ago, ethereal said:

I think I know what you mean, the mock up depicted a more dense and vivid yellow.

I'm not a huge fan of splatters, I'm not gonna provide details of what they remind me because it's likely someone is eating while reading this and I don't want to disturb that. I love clear vinyl though and in this case I think it makes sense with the overall artwork so I am happy I got hold of this.

I also like that the jacket goes in accordance with the standard Wavering Radiant theme, since I only own a Conspiracy copy on clear.

4 hours ago, Billich0986 said:

Just so everyone knows, this new press sounds absolutely Wavering Radi...

oRqu28G.jpg

Haha I was just about to post this same thing!  Mine has the same issue, right down to the minute bit of ink to start the 2nd 'A' in radiant. 

The thing that this repress benefits from is an increased presence of the more subtle background details.  I'm afraid the bass has suffered for it, because Jeff's bass isn't anywhere near as powerful in the climax riffs in Ghost Key and Hand of the Host. 

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have the same issue, but my copy is SUPER noisy with lots of pops and static.  Maybe because of the clear pressing?  I ran a felt cloth over it before i spun it, and it did pull some stuff off... but man, Side C has some artifacts going for the first minute or so on the right channel that you can hear over the music. 

the Adam Jones guitar on Hall of the Dead sounded incredible though. 

17 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

The thing that this repress benefits from is an increased presence of the more subtle background details.  I'm afraid the bass has suffered for it, because Jeff's bass isn't anywhere near as powerful in the climax riffs in Ghost Key and Hand of the Host. 

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have the same issue, but my copy is SUPER noisy with lots of pops and static.  Maybe because of the clear pressing?  I ran a felt cloth over it before i spun it, and it did pull some stuff off... but man, Side C has some artifacts going for the first minute or so on the right channel that you can hear over the music. 

I can confirm both of these statements. When the bass comes in on ghost key, it was so subtle I almost missed it. 

as for the noise, it wasn't too bad once the main dynamics of the track rolled through but I still noticed pops and clicks, especially on the lead-in's.  going to give it a good wet clean over the weekend and see if that helps.

all in all though, I don't think either of these issues distracted me too much from enjoyment.

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have the same issue, but my copy is SUPER noisy with lots of pops and static.  Maybe because of the clear pressing?

Clear should have zero correlation with the amount of noise.  If anything, clear / translucent record tend to sound much better than their opaque counterparts.

1 hour ago, ethereal said:

I can confirm both of these statements. When the bass comes in on ghost key, it was so subtle I almost missed it. 

as for the noise, it wasn't too bad once the main dynamics of the track rolled through but I still noticed pops and clicks, especially on the lead-in's.  going to give it a good wet clean over the weekend and see if that helps.

all in all though, I don't think either of these issues distracted me too much from enjoyment.

Yeah the artifacts on 20mins/40 years was pretty noticeable over the first minute or 2 though, even over the music.

I have to say, Threshold of Transformation might be the standout from this remaster.  Lots of new things I never noticed before, and the song finishes suuuuper sweet.  That was awesome.

But man, the universe-exploding bass riff in Ghost Key has ZERO balls now.  Jeff's bass swells out on the original press, and it is so muted here.