Jump to content
roboticempire

ISIS - Wavering Radiant 2x12” Now Available For Pre-Order! (And Everything Else Discussion)

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Clear should have zero correlation with the amount of noise.  If anything, clear / translucent record tend to sound much better than their opaque counterparts.

Plain clear, maybe. But a splatter would be more prone to noise. They're dumping a handful of pellets on top of the puck before it gets pressed.

Edited by throwgncpr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

Plain clear, maybe. But a splatter would be more prone to noise. They're dumping a handful of pellets on top of the puck before it gets pressed.

just because its splatter doesn't mean that's the reason for the noise.. it has nothing to do with a "pellet process"

i have handpours, starbursts, and splatters, none of which have problems across the board due to its variant style.

this seems to be more of a lack of identifying issues during the test pressing phase, which is usually the issue for most noisy releases (some artists and labels don't even listen to the TP's to approve or deny them!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ethereal said:

just because its splatter doesn't mean that's the reason for the noise.. it has nothing to do with a "pellet process"

i have handpours, starbursts, and splatters, none of which have problems across the board due to its variant style.

this seems to be more of a lack of identifying issues during the test pressing phase, which is usually the issue for most noisy releases (some artists and labels don't even listen to the TP's to approve or deny them!)

This isn't entirely accurate. I'm not saying that splatters are going to be noisier by default, but anytime that elements are mixed in during the press, there is potential for issues.  Sure, with a lot of care and quality checking, they can turn out perfectly, and usually do.  Let us not go down the color vs. black rabbit hole again... 

 

The test press stage is indeed super important, but that doesn't mean that a great sounding test can't result in a not-so-great sounding press. I'm not sure who got the TPs this time around. I assume that Robotic Empire handled them completely. Aaron has been pretty obsessive in the past during the test press stage for things he has released, but I would guess he wasn't involved this time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black is better.... Rabbit hole opened...

 

Just kidding!

 

But to the point I do want to hear reviews about the black variant to find out if the noise issue is on that too. Then we can ascertain which point of the process could be responsible for the noise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

This isn't entirely accurate. I'm not saying that splatters are going to be noisier by default, but anytime that elements are mixed in during the press, there is potential for issues.  Sure, with a lot of care and quality checking, they can turn out perfectly, and usually do.  Let us not go down the color vs. black rabbit hole again... 

 

The test press stage is indeed super important, but that doesn't mean that a great sounding test can't result in a not-so-great sounding press. I'm not sure who got the TPs this time around. I assume that Robotic Empire handled them completely. Aaron has been pretty obsessive in the past during the test press stage for things he has released, but I would guess he wasn't involved this time around.

 

Yeah thsi is by far the worst Isis record I own, which isn't saying its bad itself, it just has TONS of noise.  Lots of pops and things that present over the music during Side C. 

 

I'll probably end up selling it for cost.  The splatter didn't wow me like I was hoping it would anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

 

Yeah thsi is by far the worst Isis record I own, which isn't saying its bad itself, it just has TONS of noise.  Lots of pops and things that present over the music during Side C. 

 

I'll probably end up selling it for cost.  The splatter didn't wow me like I was hoping it would anyway. 

Gumbo I don't mean this in a mean way, but more or less in a way for you to reflect for added happiness in your life. I don't think I have ever seen you be wowed by anything, you seem to be such a glass half full person its insane. I think I have only seen you complain that something wasn't perfect. Maybe you should realize most stuff in life isn't perfect regardless if your'e paying for it or not. I hope you aren't waiting for that perfect girl that meets every standard of yours without fail, because ridiculously high expectations rarely lead to a life with a high degree of happiness, more to a life with a high degree of disappointment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Gumbo I don't mean this in a mean way, but more or less in a way for you to reflect for added happiness in your life. I don't think I have ever seen you be wowed by anything, you seem to be such a glass half full person its insane. I think I have only seen you complain that something wasn't perfect. Maybe you should realize most stuff in life isn't perfect regardless if your'e paying for it or not. I hope you aren't waiting for that perfect girl that meets every standard of yours without fail, because ridiculously high expectations rarely lead to a life with a high degree of happiness, more to a life with a high degree of disappointment. 

Haha nah it's all good man, I guess I just point out the issues.... which makes it appear like I'm always dissatisfied.  Not the case!  Because let me tell you about a song called Malacoda on an album called Tertia ;)

 

I'm just merely pointing out facts....  this record is pretty damn noisey!  I'll try to get a video so you can see what I'm talking about.  I'm gonna give it another vacuum clean when I have a chance to see if that makes a difference, but when I ran my pad over it the first time nothing came off so they seemed to be pretty clean out of the jacket! 

 

It's just weird, every other Isis record I own is like, perfect.  Play so well, and so quietly.  That's why I assumed it was something about the clear production process that imparted some artifacts into the grooves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Holy shit have you guys seen the robotic empire variants?? OMG they are beautiful!! Its a clear navy with white and light blue splatter, looks to badass. I havent seen the black with white splatter. 

I hadn't until you mentioned it.  As someone who prefers variants that match aesthetics over colors that are flashy eye candy, I think they nailed it with the yellow splatter, and prefer it for my own collection... but there's no denying that blue is a head turner.  I wonder if the description for the black / white splatter was equally off and underselling.

 

We'll see if I don't end up caving sooner than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I hadn't until you mentioned it.  As someone who prefers variants that match aesthetics over colors that are flashy eye candy, I think they nailed it with the yellow splatter, and prefer it for my own collection... but there's no denying that blue is a head turner. 

agreed but if the blue ends up sounding better, i'm jumping ship haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my copy in the post today maybe give it a spin tomorrow night to see how it sounds although I'm no audiophile so I'm sure it'll meet my less than vigorous standards. Word of warning to those who ordered from Hydrahead's merchtable platform and thought the overseas shipping was a steal, I got hit with custom fees of about £12 over here in the UK. I've been hit worse. Records look gorgeous got the same misprinted spine but who cares?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×