PO: Sounds Delicious monthly subscription (full covers of famous albums)

AlexH.

http://www.turntablekitchen.com/sounds-delicious

http://www.stereogum.com/1916212/ben-gibbard-announces-album-length-cover-of-teenage-fanclubs-bandwagonesque/news/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=timeline

Seems like it could turn out to be just another subscription service that eventually loses steam, but the initial lineup is pretty promising:

They’re still working on a release rollout, but so far they’ve announced Yumi Zouma covering Oasis’ (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?, the Pains Of Being Pure At Heart covering Tom Petty’s Full Moon Fever (with Kristin Kontrol and members of Titus Andronicus), Foxygen’s Jonathan Rado covering Bruce Springsteen’s Born To Run, Ava Luna covering Serge Gainsbourg’s Histoire de Melody Nelson, and more, and they’ve got a new one to add to the roster: Death Cab For Cutie’s Ben Gibbard will be covering Teenage Fanclub’s 1991 album Bandwagonesque in full for the series.

I signed up for the full year + 7" add-on at the Kickstarter level, so I'm going down with this ship if it falls apart. I'm just hoping that the effort put into each goes beyond a quick straight-forward pass. I thought what John Vanderslice did with Bowie's Diamond Dogs a few years ago was really interesting. He changed the track names and diverged from the source material at times to produce a cover album that was part-tribute and part-new work inspired by DD. My faith is in you, group of creative people known for both lofty plans and procrastination.

Turntable Kitchen has been a great subscription for about 5 years now, this is the only subscription service in my mind that has been worth it month in and month out.  Very excited for the new LPs there are doing.  Now if I can just find that last 7" from the subscription that I need....

45 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Wow I'm super interested in that Yumi.

What's the first record up? It doesn't seem to say. 

Typically they do not announce what record you will be receiving, but guessing they may at least tease a few at the beginning get people other than backers to sign up.  But if they run this like their 7" subscription 11 months out of the year you will have no idea what you are getting till it arrives.

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2016 at 0:00 PM, Kanye West said:

Wow I'm super interested in that Yumi.

What's the first record up? It doesn't seem to say. 

It's been announced that the Yumi Zouma album is up first, limited to 1,000 copies and shipping on April 6. Does anyone have a referral code or coupon of some sort?  

http://www.turntablekitchen.com/product/sounds-delicious-1-12-month-orders-2/?mc_cid=306b9565e4&mc_eid=7b864a2709

On December 13, 2016 at 0:36 PM, maximuss said:

bought a half year sub. Hope it includes the yumi zouma lp. 

bought a half year sub. Hope it includes the yumi zouma lp. 

13 hours ago, tvham said:

It's been announced that the Yumi Zouma album is up first, limited to 1,000 copies and shipping on April 6. Does anyone have a referral code or coupon of some sort?  

http://www.turntablekitchen.com/product/sounds-delicious-1-12-month-orders-2/?mc_cid=306b9565e4&mc_eid=7b864a2709

13 hours ago, stl_ben said:

They don't do referral codes. First track sounds great. Can't wait to see how much the backer variant sells for!

12 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Just pulled the trigger on a one month for YZ. 

Like all of you, I'm also super excited for this sub to start!!!!

6 hours ago, stl_ben said:

Do all / any of you do their 7" subscription as well?  My favorite monthly subscription service by far.  Just recently got the missings ones to have a complete collection!

Do you have gold & standard versions of each release? If so, that's some serious dedication.

Also, Vinyl Moon is hands down the best monthly subscription service. TK is cool but not worth the all the money. Vinyl Moon is almost the same cost for a 12" with unique jackets and sleeves designed by indie artists.

9 hours ago, stl_ben said:

I have every Gold and some of the standard. I collect 7" more than lps. Also the wife loves the coffee!

If you collect 7"s, then you should subscribe to Flying Vinyl too. Every month they send you 5 7"s (at least 1 on color) from up-and-coming UK bands. And it's only $30 shipped to the US. There's a pretty good mix of musical styles. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2017 at 10:23 AM, tvham said:

same...figured since they don't discount 3 month vs 1 month that I can just pick and choose as they announce the artists each month 

Seems like a lost opportunity on TL's part. If I could pay $22.50/month for 3 months, I'd take that over $25 for 1 month, even if I'm saving only $7.50. Shrug.

I'm signing up for the monthly as well. Let's see the quality of the first release in the series. 

23 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Why would they sell them cheaper?  They have had no problem selling all copies of thier records so far.  And there is benefits to being a member for an extended period of time; Gold Level variants, free cases, etc.  Heck I got a free pair of UGG shoes with one of my 7"s!

It's what other subscription services do, but if it works for them, it does. What is a "Gold Level variant"? Have any photos?