Top 10 Live Sets of 2016

cephcarn4

39 minutes ago, Youinreverse said:

This year was awesome for concerts for me. I finally got to see a lot of "bucket list" bands, like Neil Young and Sigur Ros, and got to see three awesome shows at Red Rocks, which I think is the best venue on earth. 

I went to Red Rocks for the first time in September and saw Jason Isbell & Lucero.  Can't get over how beautiful that place it, truly my favorite spot I have ever experienced a show.

Super thankful to have also knocked off my other bucket list venue this year, which was Cumberland Caverns (Bluegrass Underground)... it's a cave in Tennessee that does shows 333ft underground.

Edited by Snaggle Von Swift

I feel like I didn't go to as many shows this year as I had in the past years, but here's a list of all the bands I enjoyed the fuck out of this year.

1. Tool - Aftershock at Discovery Park, Sacramento, CA

2. Iron Maiden - The Forum, Inglewood, CA

3. A Tribe Called Quest - Jimmy Kimmel Live, Hollywood, CA (they only played like 7 minutes but it was still the greatest thing ever.)

4. Black Sabbath - The Forum, Inglewood, CA

5. Deftones - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA

6. YG - The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA

7. Oathbreaker - The Roxy, Hollywood, CA

8. The World is A Beautiful Place and I am No longer Afraid to Die - The Constellation Room, Santa Ana, CA

9. Disturbed - The Observatory, Santa Ana, CA

10. Touché Amoré - Fingerprints, Long Beach, CA

Honorable mentions:

Chevelle, Primus, Baroness, and Deafheaven were all amazing at Aftershock, Opeth was great at Ozzfest, I saw Deftones a total of 3 times this year, and a bunch of fun Kimmel shows, like Alice Cooper and Garbage.

I honestly can't even remember if I went to 10 shows this year, but seeing Bane's last show in Worcester was pretty fuckin' cool. SUMAC in a tiny ass art gallery/show space in Portsmouth, NH with like 30 other people was incredible too. O'Brother & Big Jesus at Great Scott in Boston was the shit.

Also, self-indulgent maybe, but I just got done playing a weekend with Old Gray & Soul Glo, and our show at Shea Stadium in Brooklyn was probably somewhere in my top 20 of all time. Both as a spectator and a participant.

I kept a good record of shows I've been to up until the start of this year, so I'm trying to remember everything. The ones that stand out immediately are

Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins at Immanuel Presbyterian Sanctuary in LA - Rabbit Fur Coat is an all-time favorite of mine and this whole show was beautiful.

Nice as Fuck at the Glasshouse in Pomona - again, Jenny Lewis is great and this one was short and intimate and so much fun.

Anderson .Paak at 1015 Folsom in SF - I had no idea who he was, but a friend of mine said I should go because it was free and they thought I'd dig it. holy shit! the dude is fantastic and I was hooked immediately.

mewithoutYou at HOB Anaheim/Echoplex LA - these two shows run together a little for me even though they always do different sets. There's always something that stands out and I will never ever tire of seeing them. Looking forward to more shows next year.

I saw a bunch of other shows, but a lot of them were just what I was expecting and they don't really need special mention. I'll probably remember some cool stuff after posting, but this is a good list for now. Also a quick list of shows I was supposed to go to, but didn't get to for whatever reasons - Set Your Goals, Poison the Well, Flight of the Conchords, Brand New/Modest Mouse, Field Mouse/Cymbals Eat Guitars.

Edited by llamaface
words