PO NOW: Mac DeMarco - This Old Dog

On 5/2/2017 at 6:34 PM, Lugubrious said:

Has anyone else's not shipped yet? Tracking has not even updated.

Mine hasn't shipped either.  I got a shipment notification email on April 18th, but the tracking number just says pre-shipment info entered.  I just emailed them a "what the fuck" message; will let you know if I hear back.

after a few plays, I'm really not feeling this album. it's easy to listen to and pick up on but it's just so plain and common denonimator with nothing really grabbing your attention. I know I'll probably catch heat for this cuz mac demarco fans like whatever the dude puts out but it just isn't for me.

hopefully he digs himself out of this hole by the next LP

17 hours ago, ethereal said:

after a few plays, I'm really not feeling this album. it's easy to listen to and pick up on but it's just so plain and common denonimator with nothing really grabbing your attention. I know I'll probably catch heat for this cuz mac demarco fans like whatever the dude puts out but it just isn't for me.

hopefully he digs himself out of this hole by the next LP

It is very plain. Pleasant but without the peaks and variety like 2 and Salad Days.

On my first listen, I thought this album was pretty meh. It's grown on me a lot since, though. It's definitely Mac taking a different approach at the same thing he's been doing, but as soon as I got used to it I found it a lot more enjoyable. Yes it's kinda slow and mellow all the way through, but the songs are still sticking in my head and making me want to go back for more.

On 04/05/2017 at 7:53 PM, lethalenforcer said:

Germany exclusive I think. There are some decently priced ones on Discogs.

Impatiently awaiting my purple copy to arrive. Absolutely love how that one turned out and I think it pairs quite well with the artwork.

Discogs says HMV in the UK are selling the clear variant too. Gonna go down tomorrow to the one by me and see if they have any

I agree, such a good record. I really wasn't sure whether he could pull of the more "serious", less funky style that showed through on the first few singles. Turns out they work perfectly for the record as a whole but there's also still some good old weird stuff going on on a few tracks. I'm happy it's not a Salad Days 2.0 or something, even if that one probably remains my favorite.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...