Virgil updates

1 hour ago, cameronbudde said:

Someone give me a quick rundown. 

Dude ran a label through VC and I believe it functioned as a co-op of sorts for some releases? A ton of people paid money up front to get something press and he just bailed. All this happened way before I found this place, but that's what I've gathered. Sucks he did that because he pressed some awesome shit through that label. 

6 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Dude ran a label through VC and I believe it functioned as a co-op of sorts for some releases? A ton of people paid money up front to get something press and he just bailed. All this happened way before I found this place, but that's what I've gathered. Sucks he did that because he pressed some awesome shit through that label. 

Before VC, he ran a somewhat successful record label, Suburban Home, that put out some great stuff. On the initial vinyl boom he moved to the forefront of pressing vinyl for labels that didn't have the money or see the need. He created a co-op, Vinyl Collective, to release record voted upon by members - there were a handful of releases, The Falcon, This Charming Man, Jealous Sound, but when it came to press the next LP...crickets. He seemingly took the money made from these releases, all of which were pretty successful, if not very successful, and likely recouped cost +. Some folks got refunds, most got nothing and he made money on the investment of board members. 

5 hours ago, hookups96 said:

Sadly went in on the 300 and 700 sets so I'm waiting for a whole lot of 7 inches! 

Daaaaamn dude, that suuuucks.

I do have to say....I do feel a smidge sorry for the guy.   He had some success, expanded his operation too quickly, spread himself too thin with ideas, and ended up selling off something that was pretty damned successful...hell we're still here on the board so it's name was still worth enough for SRC to purchase it.   Dude lost a lot of money, stole a lot of money, probably pissed off some bands/distro/labels (Id be willing to bet SecondNature is still salty about it) and he lost his wife over all this shit.   All the craft beer and independent music in the world wouldn't cheer me up if I fucked up that hard.   So the fact that he's still managed to stay in the music-world and just keep it local is surprising as hell....I would've RJ'd and just dropped off the face of the earth.

for the record, I wasn't a part of th co-op, but I did (against my better judgement) pre-order the Under The Influence Vol. 2 series....and at the time I was genuinely excited about that gaslight/American steel split (which I was told by both bands they had recorded their songs if I'm not mistaken?). 

Hope like hell he learned some valuable lessons throughout that shitstorm and in the aftermath of it all

I believe the co-op members were a lot more pissed about how it all went down than what they were left with.  The whole thing was that you could get out with your initial investment at any time, be it after the 1st release or the 10th.  Sadly I think there were only 4 or 5.  I forget what the buy-in was but I suppose you could have bought 4-5 records with the same amount of money.

And then when the shit-storm started, he just started banning everyone that was upset.  He promised everyone their money back and whatnot.  Then suddenly the whole site was run by SRC and Virgil was a ghost.  

A giant asshole ghost.

Edited by bowserhound
*or the 10th

" But then the business started suffering because a lot of people were doing vinyl. Those opportunities went away, because the labels saw how many records I was selling and the vinyl landscape got a lot more competitive. As my business was struggling, and as I had to let some people go and downsize, an opportunity opened up at Illegal Pete’s.” 

Man this dude can fuck right off. He straight up stole from distros, labels & individuals on this board after his poor business practices led to the downfall of his label. The fact that anyone deals with him in the music industry is beyond me. 

17 hours ago, blessedxcursed said:

Being from Denver, I just want to say that Virgil isn't that important to me or a lot of the people that exist here. Virgil and Westwood touch each other's dicks a lot. That's it. 

Also from Denver, and I didn't even know Virgil was doing anything out here.

EDIT: I'm also not super plugged into the local music scene, so that's probably just me. I haven't really taken the time to sit down with any of the Illegal Pete's artists, but I notice it each time I'm in. 

Edited by BrandonK
big dummy

12 minutes ago, BrandonK said:

Also from Denver, and I didn't even know Virgil was doing anything out here.

EDIT: I'm also not super plugged into the local music scene, so that's probably just me. I haven't really taken the time to sit down with any of the Illegal Pete's artists, but I notice it each time I'm in. 

I live in Denver. I see the douche at shows with that stupid grin on his face

46 minutes ago, dethrock said:

Does anyone remember the name of the site he sold a bunch of records on after shit started going south? 

Greater than the Collective? 

NVM - I know what you mean, I forget what that sale site was..

Edit - The LP - The Limited Pressing  - maybe The Old LP?

Edited by thefavoriteplay