Anakin "Random Accessed Memory" LP via Kickstarter

Really hoping this gets funded so I thought I'd post it here. If you're not familiar, check these guys out. For fans of Weezer (blue/Pinkerton era) and the Rentals, and/or fans of nerdy space/sci-fi/robot-related lyrics :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anakin/random-accessed-memories-ltd-wax

Sample:

11 minutes ago, 74R said:

So according to that logic naming a band Swastika is OK because swastikas were originally a positive symbol?

Comparing Anakin Skywalker to swastikas/the impact of the Holocaust is fucked up. Exactly how fucking white are you?

Edit: And there are literally millions of people who are trying to bring the swastika back to a meaningful stature. It's a symbol with 12,000 years of meaning, all pre-dating the Holocaust. I'm not for or against swastikas in modern culture, I see both sides of the argument. 

My point is, you're an idiot. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Comparing Anakin Skywalker to swastikas/the impact of the Holocaust is fucked up. Exactly how fucking white are you?

Edit: And there are literally millions of people who are trying to bring the swastika back to a meaningful stature. It's a symbol with 12,000 years of meaning, all pre-dating the Holocaust. I'm not for or against swastikas in modern culture, I see both sides of the argument. 

My point is, you're an idiot. 

You missed my point if you think I compared Anakin Skywalker to a swastika.

With the name Throughbeingcruel, I should have known your replies  would be based on emotion and not logic.

I'm quite pleased to have learned that you are neutral when it comes to the use of swastikas in modern culture. Exactly how non-fucking Jewish are you?

Get Wrecked.

1 hour ago, maintreqd said:

74R can you go be an annoying piece of shit on another message board  so the rest of us can get back to talking about wax and being decent to one another?

I'm sorry. I didn't realize saying a band's name reminded me of the Star Wars prequels was so terrible. 

By the way, I'm the only reason there's more than one post in this thread. Plenty of other threads for you to discuss wax and be decent to others in.

p.s.

Your upvotes are mad weak son. Welcome to the Buffington Post.

Edited by 74R

3 minutes ago, 74R said:

I'm sorry. I didn't realize saying a band's name reminded me of the Star Wars prequels was so terrible. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this:

1 hour ago, maintreqd said:

an annoying piece of shit

Didn't refer to this:

16 hours ago, 74R said:

Any band name that reminds people of the Star Wars prequels is a really shitty band name.

But rather referred to this:

5 hours ago, 74R said:

With the name Throughbeingcruel, I should have known your replies  would be based on emotion and not logic.

I'm quite pleased to have learned that you are neutral when it comes to the use of swastikas in modern culture. Exactly how non-fucking Jewish are you?

Get Wrecked.

But like I said, it's it's anyone's guess.

11 minutes ago, slinch said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this:

Didn't refer to this:

But rather referred to this:

But like I said, it's it's anyone's guess.

I'm sure you're right but it was in response to " Comparing Anakin Skywalker to swastikas/the impact of the Holocaust is fucked up. Exactly how fucking white are you? "

Which isn't something I did. And what does being white have to do with it?

Regardless. It was just an analogy to illustrate that naming a band or using an image that immediately elicits memories of something totally unrelated to the band is an odd choice. In my opinion, band names like this are really uninspired and laughable. Is it OK to name a band Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? I don't see a difference.

Yeah, his was just as bad. And that dude calling you a piece of shit also seems to have some lingering issues with you, because that response was super over the top. The whole thread baffles me, really. I guess that's what you get when you post about a band named anakin.

(As for your actual point, I agree with you.)

Edited by slinch

53 minutes ago, futures said:

anyway, does anyone know why no sleep was putting out digital-only releases for this band?

I think the No Sleep deal soured shortly after they signed, or at least the label has ended up not providing much benefit to them. They don't really tour; perhaps that's part of the reason No Sleep hasn't done much with/for them. My understanding is that they do everything on their own for the moment, hence the kickstarter...not sure NS is even still in the picture

4 minutes ago, maintreqd said:

I think the No Sleep deal soured shortly after they signed, or at least the label has ended up not providing much benefit to them. They don't really tour; perhaps that's part of the reason No Sleep hasn't done much with/for them. My understanding is that they do everything on their own for the moment, hence the kickstarter...not sure NS is even still in the picture

I was afraid of that =\ I was excited when they announced they were signed but it seemed like that happened at the exact moment No Sleep started to.... become whatever it is right now.

1 minute ago, futures said:

I was afraid of that =\ I was excited when they announced they were signed but it seemed like that happened at the exact moment No Sleep started to.... become whatever it is right now.

I do know they were supposed to support MCS on their recent farewell tour but one of the members couldn't do it. They all live in different states and work full time jobs; they record albums by sending protools sessions to each other and recording in home studios. I wish so bad that they'd play shows but I don't know when/if it'll happen. Obviously there's not a whole lot of appeal for any label in a band like that, however good the jams are. 

Curious what you mean about "whatever [no sleep] is right now." I guess I haven't been paying attention, though if I think about it I don't really know/listen to any bands on the label currently where at one point I listened to a ton. Did they do a roster cut or something? 

5 minutes ago, maintreqd said:

I do know they were supposed to support MCS on their recent farewell tour but one of the members couldn't do it. They all live in different states and work full time jobs; they record albums by sending protools sessions to each other and recording in home studios. I wish so bad that they'd play shows but I don't know when/if it'll happen. Obviously there's not a whole lot of appeal for any label in a band like that, however good the jams are. 

Curious what you mean about "whatever [no sleep] is right now." I guess I haven't been paying attention, though if I think about it I don't really know/listen to any bands on the label currently where at one point I listened to a ton. Did they do a roster cut or something? 

Oooh well the recording process is kinda cool imo, but I understand it makes the touring part of being a band difficult. But that kind of makes me appreciate the songs more knowing they all did their parts separately.

I'm in no way any authority on the matter, but I know they (he? I think he is just a one man operation now) moved to a smaller place and no longer do their own mailorder. There was a thing a little while back were people were waiting for a long time for their records to ship bc of the move and the merchnow switchover. There were things missing from the store and inventory issues, etc. Also I don't think the last few vinyl subscriptions were ever completed and folks were having a hard time getting refunds. Plus, a lot of the bands on their roster either left or signed with new labels. I think if you look in the 2015 or 2016 no sleep sub threads you'll find more detailed info on what was going down as it was happening.

Edited by futures

3 minutes ago, futures said:

Oooh well the recording process is kinda cool imo, but I understand it makes the touring part of being a band difficult. But that kind of makes me appreciate the songs more knowing they all did their parts separately.

I'm in no way any authority on the matter, but I know they (he? I think he is just a one man operation now) moved to a smaller place and no longer do their own mailorder. There was a huge thing a little while back were people were waiting for a long time for their records to ship bc of the move and the merchnow switchover. There were things missing from the store and inventory issues, etc. Also I don't think the last few vinyl subscriptions were ever completed and folks were having a hard time getting refunds. Plus, a lot of the bands on their roster either left or signed with new labels. I think if you look in the 2015 or 2016 no sleep sub threads you'll find more detailed info on what was going down as it was happening.

didn't realize they outsourced to MN, lol. That place is in my backyard; I have several buddies who have worked there forever and I used to work at Equal Vision back in '06/'07, which shares the space and is owned by the same dude that runs the label... that place is so dysfunctional, haha.

Aaaaanyway, all of that sucks. No Sleep was the shit for a long time, I guess it makes sense then that I've not heard much goodness come from them for awhile now. 

23 minutes ago, maintreqd said:

didn't realize they outsourced to MN, lol. That place is in my backyard; I have several buddies who have worked there forever and I used to work at Equal Vision back in '06/'07, which shares the space and is owned by the same dude that runs the label... that place is so dysfunctional, haha.

Aaaaanyway, all of that sucks. No Sleep was the shit for a long time, I guess it makes sense then that I've not heard much goodness come from them for awhile now. 

merchnow seems super dysfunctional just from a customer standpoint lol. I try to avoid ordering from them whenever possible.

Yeah I loved the No Sleep roster for the longest. It's a shame what's come of it. 

12 hours ago, futures said:

I'm in no way any authority on the matter, but I know they (he? I think he is just a one man operation now) moved to a smaller place and no longer do their own mailorder. There was a thing a little while back were people were waiting for a long time for their records to ship bc of the move and the merchnow switchover. There were things missing from the store and inventory issues, etc. Also I don't think the last few vinyl subscriptions were ever completed and folks were having a hard time getting refunds. Plus, a lot of the bands on their roster either left or signed with new labels. I think if you look in the 2015 or 2016 no sleep sub threads you'll find more detailed info on what was going down as it was happening.

I've been a NSR subscriber since 2014. Basically the 2016 subscription couldn't work out. We only got Shai Hulud on vinyl. Eventually we're getting a free shirt, we have 25% off until the end of the year, digital on release day for every release (which has included Alistair Hennessy, Julia Louise and In Between), and I get the most limited variant of every record for 2016 (that would be only Spill's Top Ten) through the end of 2017 (We're getting WSTR and all the others to come). There will be new records from Julia Louise, my favorite band Daisyhead, Drug Church, Koji, Aficionado, Aviator, Looming, State Faults and whoever else. It's still going to be worth what I paid on Black Friday 2015 so I can't complain!

1 hour ago, N8TRU1 said:

I've been a NSR subscriber since 2014. Basically the 2016 subscription couldn't work out. We only got Shai Hulud on vinyl. Eventually we're getting a free shirt, we have 25% off until the end of the year, digital on release day for every release (which has included Alistair Hennessy, Julia Louise and In Between), and I get the most limited variant of every record for 2016 (that would be only Spill's Top Ten) through the end of 2017 (We're getting WSTR and all the others to come). There will be new records from Julia Louise, my favorite band Daisyhead, Drug Church, Koji, Aficionado, Aviator, Looming, State Faults and whoever else. It's still going to be worth what I paid on Black Friday 2015 so I can't complain!

Pretty sure you CAN complain but I'm glad you're keeping a positive outlook. Also, since you've subscribed since 2014 you should know the 2014 and 2015 subscriptions were never fully realized. One was supposed to include the 7" box set with various artists and I can't remember what the other was... but I know it didn't happen. So glad I cancelled the 2016 sub when he was still willing to give an actual refund.