Impedance Matching

Please excuse the neophyte question:

When does one need to be concerned with impedance matching of speakers/receivers when buying equipment?  

I notice A LOT of speakers do not even make note of their impedance and neither do some receivers.  I have even read on different sites that impedance matching isn't a concern for most solid state equipment.  Coming from the world of mixing live sound and guitar amp/cabinet matching, impedance matching is something I am very familiar with and is often a major concern.  

Thanks in advance!

as far as output impedance, the main concern is whether or not your amp can drive 4 ohm speakers.  A lot of consumer AV gear will only commit to 8 ohm in their documentation.  Your speakers will normally list their impedance on the back somewhere or, at the very least, buried in the manual.

9 hours ago, Tardcore said:

as far as output impedance, the main concern is whether or not your amp can drive 4 ohm speakers.  A lot of consumer AV gear will only commit to 8 ohm in their documentation.  Your speakers will normally list their impedance on the back somewhere or, at the very least, buried in the manual.

Makes sense.  Thanks!