Need a Little Help, RE: Component Compatibility

hey folks..

my receiver bugged out on me over winter break, looking to pick up a new one. Tuner, turntable still work just fine.

My question is, are all components more or less compatible with each other? Can I basically pick up an 'ol receiver at my local record shop, etc and connect it to my current system?

Been a long time since I've shopped for individual components. If it helps, my AM/FM tuner is a Harman/Kardon TU 610 and my turntable is a Technics model (SL-D20).

thanks!

9 hours ago, JukeboxRomeo said:

hey folks..

my receiver bugged out on me over winter break, looking to pick up a new one. Tuner, turntable still work just fine.

My question is, are all components more or less compatible with each other? Can I basically pick up an 'ol receiver at my local record shop, etc and connect it to my current system?

Been a long time since I've shopped for individual components. If it helps, my AM/FM tuner is a Harman/Kardon TU 610 and my turntable is a Technics model (SL-D20).

thanks!

Yeah, man, they are all pretty much the same. It looks like you'll need to make sure the replacement has a phono preamp, or you'll need an external one. Also just confirm your old receiver has standard speaker terminals. There are some all-in-ones or otherwise unusual systems that require proprietary connectors. 

It may help to post the model of your old unit.

16 hours ago, JukeboxRomeo said:

hey folks..

thanks!

Yes pretty much everything except a turntable uses the same line level signal between components.

To confuse things slightly some more modern turntables have a built in phono stage so that they can be plugged into any normal line level input as some more modern amplifiers don't have a dedicated phono input.

As kannibal said your turntable doesn't have a built in phono stage so either your new amp will need one built in or you will need an external one.

Last point I doubt you have a receiver otherwise you will have two radio tuners as a receiver is an integrated amplifier and tuner in the same box so I suspect what you have is an integrated amplifier which to be honest is the better option anyway, having the radio tuner and amplifier in the same box is generally a bad idea and modern receivers tend to be audio visual units with more channels than you need and that don't always do a particularly good job with music.