PLEASE HELP ME. MY CD COLLECTION IS KILLING ME.

Geshreeyeh

Why is there a cassette board, but not a CD one? Are CDs not cool enough? Anyway, I won't lie, I'm here to try and sell some/all of my CDs. I have over 2,000 listed on discogs, but I'd rather try and sell them all in one hit. They just take up more space than I have - SERIOUSLY. There's some great stuff there (well, I would say that). I know there's another thread on this, which suggests grouping them by genre and ebaying them. Has anyone got any other suggestions? Like mullets, bad clothes and anything else that was once in fashion, CDs will have their time again (maybe not in my lifetime); I just wish it was sooner rather than later.  I wish some high profile celebrity would state that they are back in fashion and that loads of media outlets would report it - that's how things work, eh?

Seriously, though, if you could take the time to look through what I have (and maybe buy something/everything), I will be extremely grateful. Whilst I'm here, can anyone think of elsewhere online it could be in my favour to post a similar grovelling message? Thanks!

https://www.discogs.com/seller/Geshreeyeh

2 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

If you want to unload 2k cds in one shot, I recommend donating them

this is so so true, especially if you have any tax burden.  You can deduct like 4-8 dollars per CD according to turbotax and depending on condition.  Depending on your tax bracket that could save you anywhere from 1-3 dollars a piece in taxes.

I didn't know that you could write off your CD's towards taxes if you donated them. I would strongly recommend you do that. I don't want to sound snide or be "that guy", but you'll never get anything for them. I've been sitting on about 600 CD's myself and not a single goddamn one has sold. I periodically give them away to people now.

Edited by Werner Herzog

Thanks for your responses so far. One positive is that I never really bought much mainstream music, so most of my collection isn't chart stuff - which is of the least value (generally). Some are rare releases (Japan issues/promos/live bootlegs etc). It's selling (orders each day), but without the space (a garage to keep them in and just go to and grab/pack/mail when I get an order, they are just getting in the way. It's a nice little side income, but I am now weighing up the time spent doing this versus time spent doing stuff I really enjoy. If more people knew about what I had, then I'd sell more (stating the obvious, I know). So, if the bulk sell won't work (too valuable to donate), can you suggest a way to promote my collection? Also, I'm based in London (UK), so I don't think the tax thing (whatever it is) applies to me. Thanks again...

1 hour ago, Geshreeyeh said:

Thanks for your responses so far. One positive is that I never really bought much mainstream music, so most of my collection isn't chart stuff - which is of the least value (generally). Some are rare releases (Japan issues/promos/live bootlegs etc). It's selling (orders each day), but without the space (a garage to keep them in and just go to and grab/pack/mail when I get an order, they are just getting in the way. It's a nice little side income, but I am now weighing up the time spent doing this versus time spent doing stuff I really enjoy. If more people knew about what I had, then I'd sell more (stating the obvious, I know). So, if the bulk sell won't work (too valuable to donate), can you suggest a way to promote my collection? Also, I'm based in London (UK), so I don't think the tax thing (whatever it is) applies to me. Thanks again...

I've had numerous CD's in my Discogs inventory and I sell a few a week. I usually stop by the Goodwill when I grocery shop and see what's available. If nothing else, I get some music to rip to FLAC (not as big a deal now that What.cd has shuttered) for 49 cents a disc and sell them on Discogs from 3-50 bucks depending on the rarity.

I have a ton of cds too. To reduce storage space I've removed all the jewel cases and put them in plastic sleeves with the artwork. This reduced it to about a quarter the storage space. I also bought some cd storage boxes to keep organized. I've ripped all the music so this pretty much is for archiving.