[PO] Vasudeva – No Clearance

Anyone get their downloads and take this album for a spin yet?  Received a download e-mail just the other day.

The night before these went up for PO, I checked the web-store before calling it a night – probably around midnight – and noticed that they were up and live, a bit early.  Unsure of how quickly that splatter would sell out, I opted to order one, and was surprised to see a download link with my receipt.  I figured it was an accident since the release date was over 3 months out, but I tried it anyway... and lo' and behold, it worked.

Roughly 20 minutes later, the band e-mailed me directly and explained that the link shouldn't have been sent, and very politely requested that I trash the download, or at the very least, keep it under wraps.  3 months is a long time to hold out, but I assured them that the download would be under lock and key since they spent the last 2 years or so writing, recording, and mixing the album.  That being said, I've had a good bit of time to get comfortable with the record, and didn't want to say anything until others started receiving [intentional] download links and hearing the album for themselves.

I think it's a really nice maturation from Life In Cycles that is just as strong, if not stronger.  The first listen didn't really hit me with any tracks that were rife with energy from start to finish – like Tuxford Fall on their debut – but my initial takeaway from the album is that it was enjoyable, and featured melodies that were more frequent and also stronger than a lot of what's featured on LIC.  Which isn't to take a jab at their first album; I just hear a band that has really refined their approach to songwriting and structure, on No Clearance.  After repeat listens, a lot of tracks begin to distinguish themselves from the others, and a lot of energy bubbles up to the surface.  I've wanted to share this record with some friends who appreciate the genre, to get their opinion as well, but alas.  Eager to hear how the rest of you feel about your first listen, and subsequent ones.

Edited by Derek™

Just finished my first listen and the difference in quality from Life In Cycles to No Clearance is staggering. Love the production on this far more than LiC, this is clean and full of energy, which suits the band's music as it's packed with lots of chill that just blow up into awesome moments. But these moments are not as intense as LiC, not that it's a bad thing, they've progressed and found better ways to make songs feel huge without relying on something tried, test and typical. Definitely at their tightest on this record too, absolutely faultless. Can't wait for my splatter to arrive :D

realllllllllllllly bummed I missed the boat on this.  This album is brilliant so far.  Definitely a maturation from their older stuff.  Not so spastic and tap-filled as before.  These guys certainly know how to create some intense moods though...  they're so oceanic and liquid, like no other band.  Can't wait to see them again sometime. 

realllllllllllllly bummed I missed the boat on this for the splatter.  This album is brilliant so far.  Definitely a maturation from their older stuff.  Not so spastic and tap-filled as before.  These guys certainly know how to create some intense moods though...  they're so oceanic and liquid, like no other band.  Can't wait to see them again sometime. 

Pipin' hot off the press.

cTEyehh.png

CH8jHV1.jpg

On an embarrassing note, I was not expecting there to be actual photos in the mailer.  The one on the bottom right was the only one to fall out of the mailer at first... and upside down, it definitely bears some resemblance to me circa 2013.  I don't know why but I immediately freaked out for a split second and considered that the band had obtained photos of me from 4-5 years ago.  The feeling was as unsettling as it was short-lived.

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

On an embarrassing note, I was not expecting there to be actual photos in the mailer.  The one on the bottom right was the only one to fall out of the mailer at first... and upside down, it definitely bears some resemblance to me circa 2013.  I don't know why but I immediately freaked out for a split second and considered that the band had obtained photos of me from 4-5 years ago.  The feeling was as unsettling as it was short-lived.

Ah! That's no fun - sorry about that! For a second, we considered adding some branding with the band name, logo, etc, but at the end of the day thought it might be cooler to leave them simply as photo prints. I could only imagine the scare that gave you, so sorry for the fright!  :/

2 hours ago, Skeletal Lightning said:

Ah! That's no fun - sorry about that! For a second, we considered adding some branding with the band name, logo, etc, but at the end of the day thought it might be cooler to leave them simply as photo prints. I could only imagine the scare that gave you, so sorry for the fright!  :/

It's all good, and I do like the fact that they're actual photos and not cheap prints.  I was on board as soon as I realized I wasn't being blackmailed.

• 4 weeks later...

Two new variants up for pre-order now: http://skltl.co/noclearance 

180-Gram Blood Red/Silver LP (/200)

180-Gram Transparent Orange LP (/300)

Expected to ship around mid-July

0010155836_10.jpg

0010155937_10.jpg

New tour dates with gates + Head North this summer.
(info and tix: http://skltl.co/Vasudeva)

Jun 15th - Philadelphia, PA @ Milk Boy
Jun 16th - Lancaster, PA @ Chameleon Club
Jun 17th - Brooklyn, NY @ Knitting Factory
Jun 18th - Jersey City, NJ @ Monty Hall
Jun 20th - Washington, DC @ Songbyrd 
Jun 21st - Columbus, OH @ Double Happiness
Jun 22nd - Indianapolis, IN @ Hoosier Dome
Jun 23rd - Chicago, IL @ Beat Kitchen
Jun 24th - Flint, MI @ Local 432
Jun 26th - Lakewood, OH @ Mahall’s 
Jun 27th - Pittsburgh, PA @ Mr. Roboto Project
Jun 28th - Buffalo, NY @ Studio at Waiting Room
Jun 29th - Ottawa, ON @ House of Targ
Jun 30th - Toronto, ON @ Sneaky Dee’s
Jul 1st - Cambridge, MA @ The Middle East (upstairs)

• 1 year later...