[PO] Mogwai – Every Country's Sun

TRR291_MOGWAI_ECS_cover_hi-res_1500x1500

09/01/17

Every Country's Sun takes two decades of Mogwai's signature, contrasting sounds – towering intensity, pastoral introspection, synth-rock minimalism, DNA-detonating volume – and distills it, beautifully, into 56 concise minutes of gracious elegance, hymnal trance-rock, and transcendental euphoria. Produced by psych-rock luminary Dave Fridmann, it's a structural soundscape built from stark foundations up; from a gentle, twinkling, synth-rock spectre to a solid, blown-out, skyward-thrusting obelisk. There's percussive, dream-state electronics (“Coolverine”), church organs as chariots of existential fire (“Brain Sweeties”), tremulous, foreboding bleeping – possibly from a dying android (“aka 47”). Their most transportive album yet, it also hosts their most fully realized art-pop sing-along of their storied history, “Party In The Dark,” a head-spinning disco-dream double-helix echoing New Order and The Flaming Lips, featuring Braithwaite's seldom-heard melodic vocals declaring he's “directionless and innocent, searching for another piece of mind”. This is music as a keep-out chrysalis, protective audio armor through exalting organs and portentous, dissonant guitar fuzz warping at the edges, bending the world inside-out into a reality in which you'd much rather live. The last three songs ascend into explosive exorcism, closing with the colossal “Every Country's Sun,” its searching intensity whooshing towards infinity in a dazzling cosmic crescendo.

LIMITED DELUXE EDITION COLORED VINYL 3xLP + CD + PHOTO PRINTS BOX SET: OPAQUE WHITE (180 GRAM)
Deluxe Edition includes Every Country's Sun on exclusive Opaque White 180 Gram colored vinyl, an exclusive bonus 180 Gram 12" featuring previously unreleased demos, the Compact Disc™ format of Every Country's Sun, and an exclusive set of 7 photo prints – all packaged in a beautiful, sturdy full-color box.

ALL VINYL FORMATS INCLUDE MP3 DOWNLOAD COUPON INSIDE PACKAGE

TRACK LISTING
1. Coolverine
2. Party In The Dark
3. Brain Sweeties
4. Crossing The Road Material
5. aka 47
6. 20 Size
7. 1000 Foot Face
8. Don't Believe The Fife
9. Battered At The Scramble
10. Old Poisons

11. Every Country's Sun

DELUXE EDITION BONUS 12" TRACK LISTING
1. Acoustic Wash Demo Rough Mix
2. Baritone 2 Demo Rough Mix
3. Bass Tuned To C Demo Rough Mix
4. Bends Demo Rough Mix
5. Frez Demo Rough Mix
6. Ludicrous Ripper Demo Rough Mix

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/products/trr291

TRR291DLX_White_Vinyl_Display_A_1024x102

Edited by Derek™

I think you could be right with the Young Team reissue.

They released Atomic last year so not sure they will have had time to record new material but happy to be wrong.

A young team is basically a gang of youths:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gangs_in_Glasgow

Edit: worth a google image search XD

Edited by Skacel

29 minutes ago, Skacel said:

I think you could be right with the Young Team reissue.

They released Atomic last year so not sure they will have had time to record new material but happy to be wrong.

A young team is basically a gang of youths:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gangs_in_Glasgow

Edit: worth a google image search XD

That does make sense.  I have to admit that I wasn't sure how to interpret that guy's Facebook comment, but that makes a lot more sense.

And Atomic – while being a full-length of new material – doesn't exactly feel like a full-blown "new album" to me.  Probably because of its soundtrack-nature.

That being said, I'm happy to report that they have, in fact, been in the studio.  They've been posting various Instagram photos of their progress for a few weeks now, and submitted this one earlier this week.  The caption should be something worth celebrating.

I'm ready for a new album. Personally, I loved Rave Tapes. I thought it was their best "regular" album in a while, and I listen to it frequently--probably more than any other album (although I'm very partial to Come On Die Young). Their soundtrack work has been pretty stellar lately. Les Revenants is gorgeous, and probably my favorite Mogwai release.  I'm ready for more.

I can mostly likely skip a Young Team repress, since I have that 4xLP set.  I'm hoping it's a new album or maybe a Young Team in it's entirety tour!

3 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

I'm ready for a new album. Personally, I loved Rave Tapes. I thought it was their best "regular" album in a while, and I listen to it frequently--probably more than any other album (although I'm very partial to Come On Die Young). Their soundtrack work has been pretty stellar lately. Les Revenants is gorgeous, and probably my favorite Mogwai release.  I'm ready for more.

I like the Kraut rock direction they've gone in too.  I get why it turns some fans off, but I'm all for it.  I like synthy shit anyway :)

It's more than likely an announcement related to the new album. Either a tour or pre-orders. I doubt they would create brand new graphics to announce a reissue.

Also, they're signed to Temporary Residence.  TRL have been sharing all of Mogwai's Facebook posts on the TRL Facebook. I would assume they were trying to do some cross promotion with the band if they're putting out the new album (in the States).

1 minute ago, glass realms said:

Also, they're signed to Temporary Residence.  TRL have been sharing all of Mogwai's Facebook posts on the TRL Facebook. I would assume they were trying to do some cross promotion with the band if they're putting out the new album (in the States).

I couldn't find anything saying they definitely were on TRL (although I hope they are).   I know TRL released Atomic, but that doesn't mean their done with Sub Pop.

It is an honor to finally work together in a meaningful capacity, and we're really looking forward to jamming loads of bangers in your ear holes! The first of such bangers is a BIG one: Atomic, their new album based on their soundtrack for the acclaimed BBC documentary Atomic: Living In Dread and Promise.

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/blogs/news/mogwai-signs-to-trl-drops-atomic-new-album

True, it doesn't mean that they're not planning on working with Sub Pop in the future. But that TRL blog entry doesn't sound like Atomic was a one-off release.

Rave Tapes was solid, especially after seeing how well those tracks translate live. The only track that i skip is 'Repelish' for obvious reasons.

Atomic is just okay--hopefully not an indicator of what the new album will be.

Hope it's the new album announcement and maybe a new track? I caved and bought the YT box a while ago, so don't need a repress of that.

Edited by batman

I approach anything these guys do with an open mind, but Come On Die Young is the sole album of theirs I love. Though I do enjoy most anything on the massive Central Belters box set, all of their other albums offer strong moments, but scarcely enough for me to worship their records as a whole. Happy Songs is the last album I thought was fantastic, after that it's been between good and meh, for the most part.

Last years Atomic was a positive change of pace in my books, so I'd be all for them going further into that direction. I don't really see them returning to their early sound anytime soon, if ever, but I'd rather not see them crawl any deeper into the synthpop cave.

Still, if I were to daydream and play around with a 'build your own Mogwai'-toolbox, they would've went into the direction of some of my favorite songs, like Hugh Dallas or Take Me Somewhere Nice, and become the greatest slowcore-band of all time. 

The MYT is just one of their logos AFAIK, and the comments about it happening around Scotland is in regards to the naming of the gangs.  the young team from Glasgow is Glasgow Young Team, so Mogwai Young Team is their "gang" name. That logo is even based on the graffiti from the Scotland young teams. I've taken it as part of their humor, which is always great. That said, I'm thinking(hoping) new album announcement. 

7 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I can mostly likely skip a Young Team repress, since I have that 4xLP set.  I'm hoping it's a new album or maybe a Young Team in it's entirety tour!

Same and same.  I will admit that I'd buy a regular x2 LP press of Young Team just to have a proper gatefold jacket, though.  Especially if these was a limited TRL variant or Loser Edition.  That's what dreams are made of.

6 hours ago, glass realms said:

It's more than likely an announcement related to the new album. Either a tour or pre-orders. I doubt they would create brand new graphics to announce a reissue.

I suspect it'll be an album announcement, for sure, but I'm also hoping for some tour dates.  They haven't really created any new graphics, though.  Just the red Facebook banner that uses the "M" seen on the Central Belters cover.  (This, for those who haven't seen it.)

2 hours ago, batman said:

Rave Tapes was solid, especially after seeing how well those tracks translate live. The only track that i skip is 'Repelish' for obvious reasons.

Atomic is just okay--hopefully not an indicator of what the new album will be.

Hope it's the new album announcement and maybe a new track? I caved and bought the YT box a while ago, so don't need a repress of that.

I will admit that a lot of the Rave Tapes tracks that they performed live really shined.  But that may just be a testament to the quality of their live shows, honestly.

2 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

I approach anything these guys do with an open mind, but Come On Die Young is the sole album of theirs I love.

CODY is the only album that really clicks with you?  Not even Young Team?

Still, if I were to daydream and play around with a 'build your own Mogwai'-toolbox, they would've went into the direction of some of my favorite songs, like Hugh Dallas or Take Me Somewhere Nice, and become the greatest slowcore-band of all time. 

Amen to this.  I feel like they've more-than-showed [on many occasions] how well they can pull off slowcore if that's the direction they wanted to take.  I would love to see them evolve into that over spacey synth-driven post-rock, but I'll take what I can get.

Edited by Derek™

40 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Same and same.  I will admit that I'd buy a regular x2 LP press of Young Team just to have a proper gatefold jacket, though.  Especially if these was a limited TRL variant or Loser Edition.  That's what dreams are made of.

The sleeves are my only complaint about that YT box set.  Didn't even think about it until the CODY set.

Just now, Skacel said:

STAND DOWN!

It was only a 'Live in Glasgow' announcement :lol:

I've never seen a URL / website dedicated to one show, but I guess there's a first for everything.  Lots of people following their Facebook posts and countdown are going to be confused later this morning.  Oh well.  Time to call it a night over here.

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I've never seen a URL / website dedicated to one show, but I guess there's a first for everything.  Lots of people following their Facebook posts and countdown are going to be confused later this morning.  Oh well.  Time to call it a night over here.

To be fair, The Hydro is a pretty big venue for them and it's a home town show at Christmas. 

I would be expecting a decent support act too.

16 minutes ago, Skacel said:

To be fair, The Hydro is a pretty big venue for them and it's a home town show at Christmas. 

I would be expecting a decent support act too.

I was super grouchy until I saw that it was a 13,000 capacity venue - I'd be milking that announcement for all it's worth too! Might even make the trip up myself if it doesn't sell out too quickly...

53 minutes ago, Mattallurgist said:

I was super grouchy until I saw that it was a 13,000 capacity venue - I'd be milking that announcement for all it's worth too! Might even make the trip up myself if it doesn't sell out too quickly...

Yeah, I'm thinking of making the trip too, especially since it's a Saturday. I'm hoping they get the Twilight Sad to support.