[PO] Mogwai – Every Country's Sun

1 minute ago, EHughes527 said:

TIL - very weird. Something something Hollywood?

Sorta. Ties into to memorabilia and how many people were selling autographed goods. I believe they now require a COA to be established for anything to come in/out of there, which is a massive pain in the ass. So people just avoid shipping there.

8 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

Sorta. Ties into to memorabilia and how many people were selling autographed goods. I believe they now require a COA to be established for anything to come in/out of there, which is a massive pain in the ass. So people just avoid shipping there.

Looked it up a little. Here's a blurb on a site talking about it that's somewhat recent:

" The law covers sales in California or items sold to a California customer and goes into effect in January 2017. "

"If you sell anything worth more than $5 that has an autograph, it must have a certificate of authenticity."

"...
certificate must include if the seller is insured, the date, place and name of a witness to the appraisal, and who might have sold it before.  "

" Anyone selling books, sports or movie memorabilia, art, or “stuff” at consignment shops or house sales must get certificates and the records must be stored for seven years. There is a large fine for selling a fake or anything without the certificate. "

https://www.kovels.com/news-news-news/autographed-items-just-got-harder-to-sell-in-california.html

So did Cali customers just become persona non grata for signed vinyl releases? Ouch.  

Edited by EHughes527

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So this album is pretty awesome.

At least on first listen I'm loving what I'm hearing.  Coolverine confirmed my confidence in their use of synths this time – they're a lot more spacious and dynamic.  I know some people dug Rave Tapes, but the synths on that album were for 80s martians with oversized laser blasters.  This time around they're for watching landscapes shrink while being propelled into the stars.  It just feels a lot more refined to me and I'm really enjoying it.  Some of the guitar tones are straight gritty and massive – think Batcat.  Basically every track on this record is going to sound immense in a live setting and I can't wait to witness them in November.

Edited by Derek™

• 2 weeks later...

As Derek alluded to, the album has leaked, and wow is it phenomenal. It wasn't at all what I was expecting upon first listen, but after a couple follow-ups, I'm in love. It is really subtle, and brilliant. It's like the bastard child of Atomic and Come On Die Young (more of the former, but moments of the latter). I have a feeling that after repeat listens this is going to crawl toward the top of my year list.

Side note: I love Rave Tapes, 80s Martians, and oversized blasters.

On 19/08/2017 at 1:13 PM, januarytwenty said:

"All vinyl formats are delayed, with the deluxe box set editions being last in the queue as production is completed. We will send another email once we have a definitive delivery date."

Banquet just posted photos of the vinyl and box set, so not sure if they will be delayed after all.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

My local store had a few copies of the box set for like 68 CDN today. To those who have theirs, is that extra disc is worth it? I might be convinced to buy it...

I guess it depends on what you want the box for. The extra disc contains 6 demo versions of songs on the album. If you're looking for new material, that will probably disappoint you, but the demos are really good. They are technically demos, but they're really high quality studio recorded/mixed/mastered songs. It's nice to hear slightly different versions and how they evolved, and it's even nicer to hear songs that fucking Fridmann didn't touch.

The box set is really nice and includes the extra 12" of demos, a set of 12" photo prints, a CD copy, download card. I think it was well worth the price, and every time I passed on a Mogwai box set pre-order, I've regretted it and gone back looking for it later. If you're not a crazy Mogwai fan, or if you are expecting a lot of extra music in the box, it may not be for you.

I love CODY, and definitely more than Rock Action. Fridmann handled things a little more conservatively back then. He has a real hard on for brickwalling things in recent years and he's rendered some albums unlistenable for me. He pushed things too far for my tastes on this record, but it's not nearly damaged as Baroness' Purple, or Thursday's ACBTLD

• 3 weeks later...

So after a long wait,  Newbury just announced that they didn't get any of the autographed prints that were supposed to come with their preorders for the indie version of this.

They asked if we'd like to cancel or keep the orders... Well considering They charged $38 for it after shipping and my local still has copies for $21 that seems like a pretty easy decision.

1 hour ago, fish said:

So after a long wait,  Newbury just announced that they didn't get any of the autographed prints that were supposed to come with their preorders for the indie version of this.

They asked if we'd like to cancel or keep the orders... Well considering They charged $38 for it after shipping and my local still has copies for $21 that seems like a pretty easy decision.

Yeah, I get that it's out of their control at least in terms of receiving the signed prints, and I appreciate them not stringing us along any longer, but yeah, the indie variant was $23 at my local store, but I'm sure it's probably gone by now.