[PO] Mogwai – Every Country's Sun

1 hour ago, Skacel said:

Yeah, I'm thinking of making the trip too, especially since it's a Saturday. I'm hoping they get the Twilight Sad to support. 

Twilight Sad were the support when I first saw Mogwai back in 2011 and I have been pretty obsessed since, that'd be amazing!

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2017 at 6:15 PM, Derek™ said:

I have a hunch that the announcement for a new album is imminent, but this was admittedly a buzzkill, for sure.

I think you are right about the new album announcement.

Until then, they have announced a world tour:  http://www.mogwai.co.uk/news/2677/world_tour_announced

• 1 month later...

New album 'Every Country's Sun' PO and new track 'Coolverine': http://www.mogwai.co.uk/

US PO: https://www.temporaryresidence.com/collections/albums/products/trr291

More info:

We are excited to announce our new album 'Every Country's Sun'.

Produced by our friend Dave Fridmann, it will be released on 1 Sept 2017 via our Rock Action Records label (Temporary Residence will release in North America / Spunk Records in Australia).

Pre order now at mogwai.co.uk:
- Heavyweight black double vinyl
- CD
- Box set
- Digital download

All pre orders from will receive 'Coolverine' - the opening track of the album - instantly.

Boxset + LP pre orders will receive a limited 12x12 screen print signed by us (Mogwai store only).

An exclusive heavyweight clear double vinyl is available to pre order from independent record shops from tomorrow (Monday 15 May)

Edited by Skacel

Yeah, the white is a buzzkill.  Not the worst variant in this scenario, but certainly not a top pick.  If I was a lesser man, I'd grab the deluxe and the indie clear, swap out the vinyl itself, and sell that 1/1 "indie white" for dirt cheap.  Knowing me, I may end up getting both though.  I'm a sucker for prints, and quite like the aesthetic of this album's cover a lot more than Rave Tapes.  The inclusion of art prints, a bonus 12" of content, and a fancy box to house it in seems worthy of springing an extra $25 for.  Definitely among the more reasonably price boxes I've seen in a while.

I haven't listened to the new single yet.  The writeup sounds fairly enticing; I figured they weren't done with their spacey synth sounds, and it sounds like ECS will have them sprinkled in healthily.  Rave Tapes didn't really have any moments that achieved the signature Mogwai wall of monumental guitars and massive climaxes, so I'm hoping the album description isn't exaggerating the return to that sound on a handful of tracks featured on the new album.

28 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, the white is a buzzkill.  Not the worst variant in this scenario, but certainly not a top pick.  If I was a lesser man, I'd grab the deluxe and the indie clear, swap out the vinyl itself, and sell that 1/1 "indie white" for dirt cheap.  Knowing me, I may end up getting both though.  I'm a sucker for prints, and quite like the aesthetic of this album's cover a lot more than Rave Tapes.  The inclusion of art prints, a bonus 12" of content, and a fancy box to house it in seems worthy of springing an extra $25 for.  Definitely among the more reasonably price boxes I've seen in a while.

I haven't listened to the new single yet.  The writeup sounds fairly enticing; I figured they weren't done with their spacey synth sounds, and it sounds like ECS will have them sprinkled in healthily.  Rave Tapes didn't really have any moments that achieved the signature Mogwai wall of monumental guitars and massive climaxes, so I'm hoping the album description isn't exaggerating the return to that sound on a handful of tracks featured on the new album.

Damnit, I've been trying to talk myself out of the box...but I completely agree with you. Buying the box.

Other than zdkaiser who already voiced his approval... what are you guys thinking of the single, if you've checked it out yet?  There was a comment in the Youtube section that likened a God Is An Astronaut vibe to the track.  I think that's a fair comparison to draw.  I feel like it incorporates a lot of synths nicely but without getting in to the "sci-fi" vibes that Rave Tapes had.  (Not that I'm overly opposed to those.  I just think there's a time and a place, and I'm grateful they're not retreading the same ground with the new single.)  The synth used in Coolverine is almost like a chilly, ethereal one that's present in a lot of GIAA tracks; really conveys that feeling of being lost among the stars.  [Sidenote that YT's Tracy will forever be Mogwai's best star-gazing song – their take on it in 2017 is welcome, too, though.]  Pretty pleased with the first listen and eager to hear more.