Phono Preamp with built-in headphone amp?

Hey guys,

I'm not 100% familiar with all the audio equipment out there so that's why I'm asking.

My setup: Pro-Ject Esprit->uTurn Pluto Phono Preamp->JBL LS305 Powered Speakers.

I would like to sometimes listen to my records with headphones but I can't add an amp with a headphone jack since I have powered speakers.

Are there any phono preamps that also have a built-in headphone amp so that I can either choose to output to the speakers or the headphones?

Are there any other options? Maybe something I can put between my current preamp and speakers?

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

You can add a headphone amp, like the Schiit Magni between your preamp and speaker. It has a line out on it.

To clarify, you need the Magni 2 Uber to ensure line out (Magni 2 doesn't have line out).  It's also a very solid headphone amp and well worth the money. 

5 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

You can add a headphone amp, like the Schiit Magni between your preamp and speaker. It has a line out on it.

3 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

To clarify, you need the Magni 2 Uber to ensure line out (Magni 2 doesn't have line out).  It's also a very solid headphone amp and well worth the money. 

So I can basically use any headphone amp that has a pre-amp out?

The pre-amp output is basically just a pass through?

1 minute ago, TheComebackKid said:

So I can basically use any headphone amp that has a pre-amp out?

The pre-amp output is basically just a pass through?

No, the pre-amp still boosts the signal to the correct RIAA signal. You go TT->preamp->headphone amp->powered speakers. You still need the preamp.

Any headphone amp with a line out will work.

Edited by Thomas³

20 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

No, the pre-amp still boosts the signal to the correct RIAA signal. You go TT->preamp->headphone amp->powered speakers. You still need the preamp.

Any headphone amp with a line out will work.

Oh I didn't mean replace my phono preamp with the headphone amp.

On the Schiit site it called the line out of the Magni 2 Uber a "Preamp Output", which I'm guessing is the same as saying a line out. That's why I was asking about the Preamp Output.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a simplified setup, you could also go with the ADL GT40 (or the GT40A, newer). I've had it for two years now and it's definitely an impressive all-in-one amp/DAC/ADC. For reference, my setup is currently:

Music Hall mmf 2.2 w/Nagaoka Mp-110 cartridge > ADL GT40 (old version) > Audeze LCD 2.2 or Audioengine A5+

For the price, I really don't think you can beat its performance and versatility. 

On 1/24/2017 at 2:27 PM, TheComebackKid said:

Oh I didn't mean replace my phono preamp with the headphone amp.

On the Schiit site it called the line out of the Magni 2 Uber a "Preamp Output", which I'm guessing is the same as saying a line out. That's why I was asking about the Preamp Output.

There is a difference between pre-amp out and line-out.

preamp out means that the output will vary along with any volume adjustment made on the pre-amp side.

line-out is a static line-level signal.

On 2/7/2017 at 0:36 AM, rabbitvinyl said:

If you're looking for a simplified setup, you could also go with the ADL GT40 (or the GT40A, newer). I've had it for two years now and it's definitely an impressive all-in-one amp/DAC/ADC. For reference, my setup is currently:

Music Hall mmf 2.2 w/Nagaoka Mp-110 cartridge > ADL GT40 (old version) > Audeze LCD 2.2 or Audioengine A5+

For the price, I really don't think you can beat its performance and versatility. 

Sweet, will definitely check this one out.

8 hours ago, Tardcore said:

There is a difference between pre-amp out and line-out.

preamp out means that the output will vary along with any volume adjustment made on the pre-amp side.

line-out is a static line-level signal.

Ah ok that makes sense.

Only problem is sometimes it says it's a line-out but it's actually a preamp-out and the volume knob on the amp affects the volume of the output.

1 hour ago, TheComebackKid said:

Ah ok that makes sense.

Only problem is sometimes it says it's a line-out but it's actually a preamp-out and the volume knob on the amp affects the volume of the output.

That's becasue when it says line out it means line level out as in signal level and in that line out and pre out are the same signal level.

Some equipment will say fixed and variable line out for line (fixed) and pre (variable) which is more helpful and you will also see tape out on some kit which again is fixed line level.