PO: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me (March 24th, 2017)

mesi

The only Mount Eerie/Microphones bits I don't jam on hard are Pre-Human Ideas and the isolated variations of albums where it's just the drums or just the singing.  I'm thinking once my pay check arrives I'll place my order for this alongside some other records because I don't have much of Phil's stuff on wax as I got into him hard before I had my record player and own most of it on CD.

16 hours ago, Shlebs said:

You can't go wrong with any Mount Eerie / Microphones record really. I'm sad Sauna was so overlooked.

I liked Sauna but didn't love it...Clear Moon and Lost Wisdom will always overshadow everything for me atm...but I'm really excited to hear this whole thing and have some pretty high expectations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lost Wisdom is absolutely essential. I too hear similarities between that and the two new songs so far. 

I am really looking forward to this. Been a fan since the Glow pt 2 came out. I love buying stuff from Phil, he puts great care into his albums, the art, the packaging... from everything to the masking tape he uses to seal the shipping boxes. It's all Art.

I remember the first time i ordered direct from him he sent me a hand written note saying I was his first order from India. That was a very nice gesture, and something I will certainly treasure.

I can already feel my heart breaking with this album, and i've only heard two songs. 

Finally stumped up the cash for this. £35 for a single LP stings but when you know the money is going direct to where it should be that's consolation. Just sad I can't really afford to grab the other bits I've been sleeping on due to the insane postage fees but that's not Phil's fault.

I did notice that the "One of Everything" now includes the new album as well.

44 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Finally stumped up the cash for this. £35 for a single LP stings but when you know the money is going direct to where it should be that's consolation. Just sad I can't really afford to grab the other bits I've been sleeping on due to the insane postage fees but that's not Phil's fault.

I did notice that the "One of Everything" now includes the new album as well.

Bis aufs Messer record store from Germany assured me that they are going to get copies of it. They are the only ones I know of in the EU/UK carrying Pw elverum stuff, and I also got my copy of Sauna and the Microphones reissues from them.

If you ask them they should even be able to order other stuff from Phil for you as well. Just a heads up.

Just now, mesi said:

Bis aufs Messer record store from Germany assured me that they are going to get copies of it. They are the only ones I know of in the EU/UK carrying Pw elverum stuff, and I also got my copy of Sauna and the Microphones reissues from them.

If you ask them they should even be able to order other stuff from Phil for you as well. Just a heads up.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely look into getting some of the holes in my Mount Eerie/Microphones wants filled down the line.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I'm waiting for the mail. Any thoughts from anyone that listened yet?

I'm half-way through. 

I really like it but be warned that the lyrics are very straight-forward and simple, so there is no escaping the constant dialogue about his wife dying and having to continue his day to day tasks with his 1 year old daughter alone. I've seen multiple people online say they can't handle the lyrics but I've managed to enjoy the album a lot.

Edited by richardsurf

50 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I'm waiting for the mail. Any thoughts from anyone that listened yet?

On a instrumental level if you haven't checked any of the preview tracks out the album is pretty much all stripped back acoustic guitars with occasional keys and some very scaled back fuzz on the penultimate track. As others have stated the lyrics are brutally honest and mostly focus around his wife and the horrendous toll it has taken on him and how her death has impacted even the day to day routines of life. Whilst the album is uncompromisingly personal he taps into so many things that anyone who has experienced grief will understand it's hard not to be moved. I'm not going to lie I cried pretty hard at certain points.

In my opinion this album is brilliant, it's an emotionally grueling listen but it's a really beautiful sincere exploration of the senselessness of death and grief.

Pro-tip: Have some ice-cream/beer/cat or dog to play with on standby as a pick me up afterwards

11 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

On a instrumental level if you haven't checked any of the preview tracks out the album is pretty much all stripped back acoustic guitars with occasional keys and some very scaled back fuzz on the penultimate track. As others have stated the lyrics are brutally honest and mostly focus around his wife and the horrendous toll it has taken on him and how her death has impacted even the day to day routines of life. Whilst the album is uncompromisingly personal he taps into so many things that anyone who has experienced grief will understand it's hard not to be moved. I'm not going to lie I cried pretty hard at certain points.

In my opinion this album is brilliant, it's an emotionally grueling listen but it's a really beautiful sincere exploration of the senselessness of death and grief.

Pro-tip: Have some ice-cream/beer/cat or dog to play with on standby as a pick me up afterwards

Your description is spot on.

I would add that I feel that this really is mostly a document of love, all through the album you get the feeling that those songs are addressed to Geneviève, and only her. So to see and hear someone handle grief in such a way is truly inspiring.  The tone is never an accusing one and there is no wallowing in self-pity.  And we all know that Phil has such an incredible way with words and imagery, and this certainly is no different.

The vocals are pretty much non stop though, there are no instrumental parts in between where you can sort of catch your breath, so I can understand that this might be a hard listen for some people. Hope this makes sense.