PO: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me (March 24th, 2017)

mesi

3 hours ago, spoon said:

I plan on grabbing a copy from Phil next month, still not sure if I'll be able to hold it together during the live show.

I would definitely cry like a baby. Unlikely he'll hop the pond any time soon which means I can at least keep my waterworks confined to my own private space which is probably for the best.

Good to know these are in circulation, I got my copy of Sauna ahead of most of my American friends so I'll probably see mine soon which will make this a very good mail week for me.

Got my copy here in India a couple days ago. Finally getting around to listening to it. I've already streamed the album a few times and know it quite well, so not commenting on the music, but unfortunately my pressing is a bit noisy. Not overbearing but slightly annoying crackle. I've only done a dry clean, not a wet one as yet - I hope that improves it. 

What a fantastic album. My favourite from Phil since Glow Pt 2, although I do feel a bit guilty about saying that given the subject material.

3 hours ago, aju2streets said:

About how long did it take everyone to receive theirs? I know there's no shipping notifications but I'm not sure how quick he/they are at getting them out. 

I'm in Norcal and got mine this weekend. I ordered whenever my first post is in this thread. Haven't had a chance to spin it.

1 hour ago, lexicondevil said:

I'm in Norcal and got mine this weekend. I ordered whenever my first post is in this thread. Haven't had a chance to spin it.

Considering the impact Stage Four had on you, I would tread lightly with this album and try to find a setting and time where you can really devote your attention for a listen.  SF may have more of a sentimental impact with you, but there's a lot less instrumentation and energy to distract you on this record.  I've been fortunate enough that I haven't had to deal with either of the losses that the albums depict, but of the two, I'd say Mount Eerie paints a more harrowing experience.

30 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Considering the impact Stage Four had on you, I would tread lightly with this album and try to find a setting and time where you can really devote your attention for a listen.  SF may have more of a sentimental impact with you, but there's a lot less instrumentation and energy to distract you on this record.  I've been fortunate enough that I haven't had to deal with either of the losses that the albums depict, but of the two, I'd say Mount Eerie paints a more harrowing experience.

Funny, I was already thinking about that in relation to Stage Four. The track that I did hear from this was definitely tough, but I was luckily able to distance myself to some degree, as I have not experienced the death of a spouse. I do expect this record to be an emotional rollercoaster. Trying to figure out if I wanna rally and see him playing in Oakland. I don't know if it will be a bummer night, as I'm not at all familiar with any of his other work.

It's definitely hard to tell for this tour but the last time I caught Phil he was very warm and goofy onstage so part of me is expecting either an emotional but heartwarming evening or the complete opposite, which might make people uncomfortable but would still be an amazing performance I'm sure.

From what I've read in interviews it will most likely be Phil solo which means we might get something like a Crow set followed by some lighter Mount Eerie / Microphones classics.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my thoughts on the album and a review of the vinyl edition along with pictures of the packaging, if anyone's interested. I don't know if there's any hot takes as it's not an album you can look at critically but I put some time into writing this one.

https://summerspins.wordpress.com/2017/04/06/mount-eerie-a-crow-looked-at-me-vinyl-album-review/

Edited by aju2streets

12 minutes ago, PookdaddyG said:

I listened to the album once, and maaaaaaan is it something. While I'd like to pick it up on wax, I don't see myself returning to it often. 

I read somewhere else that it's like a fire extinguisher because it's a good record to have on hand, but you hope you never need it. I agree with that. 

20 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I read somewhere else that it's like a fire extinguisher because it's a good record to have on hand, but you hope you never need it. I agree with that. 

Interesting metaphor, and true. After I ordered this, I was thinking of how I wouldn't want to have this spinning that often as well. But despite that, I wanted the own a physical copy because it's raw and beautiful, and because it's Mount Eerie.