PO: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me (March 24th, 2017)

mesi

elv040_header.jpg
ELV040_display_thumb.jpgELV040: A Crow Looked At Me by Mount Eerie : LP + download

A new Mount Eerie album unlike anything else in the Mount Eerie or Microphones back catalog. Eleven stark songs about basic deep grief, loss, real death, love, significance and non-significance, reality. Nothing wise or learned, just the described experience of living through unimaginable domestic obliteration, with names and dates.

contains: 11 songs, 42 minutes, very nice sounding vinyl, foil stamped front and back covers, heavy old style gatefold tip-on jacket with special Neenah “Slide” paper as the inner liner, silver on black, all the lyrics, double sided art poster, free download card

$19

NOTETHIS IS A PRE-ORDER. release date March 24th, 2017, will ship shortly before then. 

First song here, I have not listened to it yet: 

https://m.soundcloud.com/p-w-elverum/real-death-by-mount-eerie-from-a-crow-looked-at-me

From bandcamp:

“Elverum wrote and recorded the album throughout the fall of 2016 in the same room where Geneviève died, using mostly her instruments; her guitar, her bass, her pick, her amp, her old family accordion, writing the words on her paper.”

Why share this much? Why open up like this? Why tell you, stranger, about these personal moments, the devastation and the hanging love? Our little family bubble was so sacred for so long. We carefully held it behind a curtain of privacy when we’d go out and do our art and music selves, too special to share, especially in our hyper-shared imbalanced times. Then we had a baby and this barrier felt even more important. (I still don’t want to tell you our daughter’s name.) In May 2015 they told us Geneviève had a surprise bad cancer, advanced pancreatic, and the ground opened up. ‘What matters now?’ we thought. Then on July 9th 2016 she died at home and I belonged to nobody anymore. My internal moments felt like public property. The idea that I could have a self or personal preferences or songs eroded down into an absurd old idea leftover from a more self-indulgent time before I was a hospital-driver, a caregiver, a child-raiser, a griever. I am open now, and these songs poured out quickly in the fall, watching the days grey over and watching the neighbors across the alley tear down and rebuild their house. I make these songs and put them out into the world just to multiply my voice saying that I love her. I want it known.

DEATH IS REAL could be the name of this album. These cold mechanics of sickness and loss are real and inescapable, and can bring an alienating, detached sharpness. But it is not the thing I want to remember. A crow did look at me. There is an echo of Geneviève that still rings, a reminder of the love and infinity beneath all of this obliteration. That’s why.

Edited by spoon

58 minutes ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Holy fuck that song destroyed me. 

Might just be too sad to listen to more than once or twice. But wow.

Sufjan's Carrie and Lowell was incredibly depressing but I actually played it quite a bit and it gave me a quasi-opposite effect of feeling better/happier/more "in touch" with the dark side of existence. I'm hoping this does the same. Lost Wisdom, another slow/sad record from Phil, is my favorite ME album, as well.

Edited by richardsurf

7 hours ago, richardsurf said:

Sufjan's Carrie and Lowell was incredibly depressing but I actually played it quite a bit and it gave me a quasi-opposite effect of feeling better/happier/more "in touch" with the dark side of existence. I'm hoping this does the same. Lost Wisdom, another slow/sad record from Phil, is my favorite ME album, as well.

Same. It was my favorite release that year, and I cried when I saw him play songs from that album live. Not even ashamed to admit that shit.

I'm so sad for Phil, but excited to hear some new tunes. Will order at some point with the early stuff album like @jonrawks did.

Holy fuck. I just listened to the song and it is heartbreaking.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

Yeah, I went and listened to it just to gauge what we were in for.  It's obviously very different from his prior work but I can respect the stylistic shift.  The lyrics are undeniably straightforward, and as off-putting as they may be to some, they leave very little room for misinterpretation – Phil is very clearly saying what he needs to say, and may even be shedding a part of his burden or exorcising some demons through the creation of this album.  In an age where singles and chart-toppers reign supreme, I can only assume it will be refreshing and liberating to listen to a piece of art that is truly expressive, in every nuance of the word's definition.  No crazy colored variants.  No bullshit gimmicks.  No infectious hooks.  Not that Phil's work ever was created with these things in mind for mass appeal, but more than ever I suspect we'll hear something that is as raw and sincere as it will be harrowing and bleak.  I eagerly anticipate the opportunity to listen to this record and relish in an album that expresses his story and nothing else.

To avoid spoiling anything for those who haven't listened or are choosing not to listen just yet;

I was doing pretty good up until the final few seconds.  For whatever reason, that closing note just hit me hard.  I typically don't get overly wrapped up in lyrics' messages, but the abrupt I love you and accompanying chord felt so sudden and jarring; not unlike the loss of his wife, I'm sure.  Phil just spent the last two minutes painting a picture of the shell of a home he resides in, and reflecting on the aftermath of Genevieve's death – only to have to rip the listener out of it.  But not without proclaiming his love for her.  A love that still resides, more importantly.

Damn.

I echo what Rooks said; I suspect this album will make Hospice look like a sitcom.

Edited by Derek™

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, I went and listened to it just to gauge what we were in for.  It's obviously very different from his prior work but I can respect the stylistic shift.

Have you listened to Lost Wisdom? Both songs from the upcoming LP remind me of that record a lot. Lost Wisdom had a more lo-fi production and the twangy guitar additions from Fred Squire and backup vocals from Julie Dioron but the straight-forward lyrics and simple structure feel very similar. That is my favorite Mount Eerie LP so I'm really looking forward to A Crow.

Edited by richardsurf

1 hour ago, richardsurf said:

Have you listened to Lost Wisdom? Both songs from the upcoming LP remind me of that record a lot. Lost Wisdom had a more lo-fi production and the twangy guitar additions from Fred Squire and backup vocals from Julie Dioron but the straight-forward lyrics and simple structure feel very similar. That is my favorite Mount Eerie LP so I'm really looking forward to A Crow.

I actually have not but I'll have to check that out. There are a handful of Mount Eerie / Microphones releases I'm dragging my feet on.  Thanks for the suggestion.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I actually have not but I'll have to check that out. There are a handful of Mount Eerie / Microphones releases I'm dragging my feet on.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Same here.  Up until a few years ago, I was only familiar with The Glow, Pt. 2 and Ocean Roar/ Clear Moon.  Every time I've got some spare money in my LP funds, I try to grab a release of his that I haven't listened to yet.  Been very enjoyable working my way through his catalogue.